Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 May 2015, 02:40 (Ref:3536624)   #76
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's difficult to make a comparative judgement about the success or otherwise of one "Festival" against another.

Given that the events will be chasing the same competitors and the same cars both in the UK and Europe (and possibly the USA now that Masters has branched out over there) one wonders how many events can be held in a year.

Donington is slowly recovering from the Gillett fiasco and one can but hope that the infield will be available soon to greatly improve the spectator experience of recent years. There was a time when the infield access was a highlight that attracted many spectators who would not otherwise have bothered to attend.

But what else do you have to do to get participation from the car clubs and the general public?

There were some parades over the weekend but the ones I saw looked more like traffic jams.

Silverstone, for this year's Classic, seem to have found a niche ploy.

Some contrivance for "Silver Sunday" tickets available to anyone with a Silver car and supposedly recognising the 25th Anniversary of the origins of the meeting.

For a somewhat premium price (£25 more than a regular ticket) silver car owners may buy special tickets that will allow them to join a parade around the circuit.

I'll be interested to see how that works out.
Old 12 May 2015, 10:47 (Ref:3536699)   #77
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me and I know a few others, the Classic is simply too expensive.

62 quid for Saturday, that is dearer than any other event other than maybe Goodwood and the F1. And thats advance, no doubt 70 on the day. Almost MotoGP level.

I know there is a lot on, but there is a lot on that you can not opt out of. I have no interest in seeing music and paying for it with my ticket price, I am not in a car club, so that does not interest me at all.

This is more expensive than any airshow, even the RIAT. Where you can have a similar experience.

I appreciate what they are doing and what they are trying to do, but they are clearly trying to price this into a different market, the Goodwood market. The "want to be seen there" market. The slacks and daft hats market, the "I've got an E type" market. And why not, they are gullible enough to pay these crazy prices it seems, that for themk are not much as they are filthy rich!

It must be working, and you have to admire their success.

But, those prices are simply insane for what is on offer on the racetrack, the prime reason I would want to be there.

It seems the modern world will literally ignore common sense when going to events these days, its dearer than Alton Towers, and dearer than just about any Premier League footie game, a day at the Oval or Lords, a rugby game, a day at Wimbledon in the first week.

It rivals perhaps a poor seat at a Test Match, an England rugby game or football match.

Are they seriously thinking that is what they are comparing themselves to? It appears so.

I enjoyed Donington, it was a full day, nice atmosphere, lovely track, and the racing was OK. That is all I want from these "festivals". Some of it was poor, the clubs were lacking, the races were a bit long and they could ahve made the museum free in my opinion.

And that is here my money will continue to go. Not paying for bands, airshows, hundreds of security staff and making up the slack that Silverstone are losing in MotoGP and F1 host fees.
Old 12 May 2015, 11:25 (Ref:3536711)   #78
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a potential exhibitor I am thankful that a sizeable number of people disagree with you. And a 3-day ticket works out at £38/day plus testing on Thursday is free.

We're thinking about exhibiting again specifically because we want to whole package as spectators anyway - bands, 3 days of racing, the works. And to take a stand isn't that much more than 4 x 3-day tickets, plus I can write it off against tax AND have the chance of earning some money as well. Win/win

For the last few years there has been no on-the-day ticket availability, such is the demand. Just goes to show, horses for courses.
Old 12 May 2015, 11:38 (Ref:3536715)   #79
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I keep saying

I must want very, very differnet things to others as this event for me is so overpriced.

Not sure where you get 38 quid for a 3 day from, the only muto day tickets I saw were about 80 quid.

Seems I am in a world of my own with this event, I guess I was lucky enough to go when it was simply a racing festival, not all this other nonsense.
Old 12 May 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3536719)   #80
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
As I keep saying

I must want very, very differnet things to others as this event for me is so overpriced.

Not sure where you get 38 quid for a 3 day from, the only muto day tickets I saw were about 80 quid.

Seems I am in a world of my own with this event, I guess I was lucky enough to go when it was simply a racing festival, not all this other nonsense.
No you are not. The only day I ever consider going to the Classic on is a Friday because it's a bit less pricey and less crowded. Besides the amount of getting about you have to do is ridiculous even with the historic buses on call.
Old 12 May 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3536728)   #81
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
3-day weekend ticket = £114. Divided by 3 = £38. Simple Google research and maths. It's £38 per day not flat rate LOL :-)

Last edited by midgetman; 12 May 2015 at 12:08.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:39 (Ref:3536746)   #82
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I just did a bit of research.

And the Goodwood FoS is cheaper on Friday and Saturday for one day admission.

Who would have foreseen that!

And you can certainly do all the things there as a fan that you can at Silverstone.

Having not been for years, the price there surprised me a little. And you can be sure that though the action is maybe not as good, you will certainly see some more interesting cars at Godwood.

Good point chunterer, my Dad said never again after the WEC race a few years ago after having to use buses to get everywhere!
Old 12 May 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3536747)   #83
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are plenty excellent club events to choose from (far too many according to many posters on here) if you don't want the razamatazz of the big festivals. For an entrant they cost much more than ordinary club events and that may be of no consequence to some racers but not all 800-odd drivers at, for example, the Classic are in that happy category believe me. This weekend's International at Silverstone would cost a Guards entrant £505 vs £795 for exactly the same offering at the Classic, however for the extra £290 your 6 weekend passes can be used to tempt the family along for the carnival atmosphere that they will probably enjoy whether they are interested in the racing or not. Unfortunately, although you get 6 tickets for other Guards races I generally end up giving them away because club events have little to offer non-enthusiasts and the kids suddenly tired of watching Dad go round and round all weekend when girl/boyfriends first appeared on the scene.

The festivals are what they are, they shouldn't be confused with proper racing! And the irony here is that because of the scale of the events and number of spectators they probably come closer than anything else to recreating the atmosphere of the heyday of our sport.
Old 12 May 2015, 22:35 (Ref:3536884)   #84
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There were some parades over the weekend but the ones I saw looked more like traffic jams.
The parade on Saturday was the worst I have had the misfortune to try to regulate. Initially I was told that the entrants had been briefed and reminded that they should form up 2 x 2 well that went for a ball of fur immediately. Then we noticed that certain "individuals" (I'm being polite) decided to completely play their own game including standing starts, high speed weaving (tyre warming?) drag racing their mates etc !!! It was a nightmare and an utter shambles. With effectively only a "few dozen" cars it should have been a cake walk and we should of have gotten at least a couple of laps at a decent pace. Ben Simms, to his shame, admitted its the only time he has lapped Donny at an average of less than 10mph, max 25 very briefly, and still taken the chequered first.

Old 12 May 2015, 22:37 (Ref:3536885)   #85
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll be interested to see how that works out.
Thanks Grant it can't be worse than Donny HF.
Old 12 May 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3536898)   #86
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Thanks Grant it can't be worse than Donny HF.
You could go 4 wide at Silverstone and cram thousands on track.

On the other hand how many people with silver cars will have enough desire to cough up for tickets AND the extra 25 quid? It could be a small parade.

Presumably someone has thought to ensure that the Pace Car is Silver too .... you might want to propose that someone checks that Ian!

Nothing too flash required. Something about 25 years old would suit the theme.
Old 13 May 2015, 06:07 (Ref:3536955)   #87
midgetman
Veteran

My race van is nearly 20 years old and silver. We'll be living in it over the weekend so it will be on hand ☺
Old 14 May 2015, 04:23 (Ref:3537295)   #88
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The parade on Saturday was the worst I have had the misfortune to try to regulate. Initially I was told that the entrants had been briefed and reminded that they should form up 2 x 2 well that went for a ball of fur immediately. Then we noticed that certain "individuals" (I'm being polite) decided to completely play their own game including standing starts, high speed weaving (tyre warming?) drag racing their mates etc !!! It was a nightmare and an utter shambles. With effectively only a "few dozen" cars it should have been a cake walk and we should of have gotten at least a couple of laps at a decent pace. Ben Simms, to his shame, admitted its the only time he has lapped Donny at an average of less than 10mph, max 25 very briefly, and still taken the chequered first.

Been there done that, try the ferrari owners club, verging on brain dead is being kind.Race track, now I can do what I want!! Yipeeeee!
Old 14 May 2015, 12:17 (Ref:3537380)   #89
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ahhh but you're a rocket propelled hooligan, the clerks know you too well.
I have been given the opportunity that Jag was powerful 550 bhp

Benn