Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 31 May 2020, 09:14 (Ref:3979409)   #1801
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Isn't the Tiger Cat, or Tom Cat, the most powerful of them all? I can remember the ground shqking at Duxford when one fired-up close by. The sound was magnificent!

I must try & find out in advance if:when my friend is coming again in the Harvard so that I can have my camera ready. I've never actually met him in person, only know his father, but he knows my house. Fortunately I know the sound of his own plane so nip outside if I'm there. Likewise the sound of the Hqrvqrd attracted me.
Was just going from memory , so have looked it up .
The P47 had the same [ P & W R 2800 ] engine as the Tiger cat . but the Cat had 2 of them so would be very loud .
Old 31 May 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3979412)   #1802
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I remember correctly he engines on the Tiger Cat ran in opposite directions.
Old 31 May 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3979422)   #1803
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The shock waves are very dangerous, and performance drops rapidly as propeller tips approach this point.
Hence the first scimitar propeller design. "Some" improvement have been made since, the Antonov AN-70 being a good example of what can be done nowadays with propellers.
Old 31 May 2020, 10:22 (Ref:3979428)   #1804
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blimey, what knowledge we have here! (A lot of anorak wearing going on)

Whho would think that the best place to learn about historic aircraft would be a random thread in a motorsport forum.

Not complaining.... far from it. Learning all the time about something that has always interested me but only from a distance. So thanks to my learned tenths colleagues.
Old 31 May 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3979432)   #1805
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
EB we were relying on you to teach us about refined wines and women but obviously you left this scene!
Old 31 May 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3979433)   #1806
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Hence the first scimitar propeller design. "Some" improvement have been made since, the Antonov AN-70 being a good example of what can be done nowadays with propellers.
And in helicopters, the BERP tips to the main rotor blades.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BERP_rotor

Leading to world airspeed record for helicopters (still held)
https://vtol.org/news/30th-anniversary-of-g-lynx-flight

Last edited by andy97; 31 May 2020 at 10:55.
Old 31 May 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3979434)   #1807
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was fascinated by those propellers when I saw it at Paris air show a few years ago.
Old 31 May 2020, 11:54 (Ref:3979440)   #1808
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
EB we were relying on you to teach us about refined wines and women but obviously you left this scene!
I am having a glass of red as I type this (not sure how refined it is tho! I thought they did that with oil).... social distancing and meeting women causes problems, not to mention facemasks and rubber gloves.
Old 31 May 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3979443)   #1809
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
not to mention facemasks and rubber gloves.
I'm sure there are some who would find those er....................................
Old 31 May 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3979444)   #1810
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm sure there are some who would find those er....................................
Max Mosley?
Old 31 May 2020, 12:42 (Ref:3979448)   #1811
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
There was a report in the Times recently which commented that German brothel-keepers were complaining that they hadn't been able to re-open yet....Apparently one group have submitted a "hygiene plan" to the authorities, which includes "a requirement to wear masks, a ban on group sex, and a requirement for clients to leave contact details. Meeting in corridors, shaking hands, and embracing will remain forbidden, but prostitutes will be allowed to remove their masks to perform sex acts"

The report didn't say whether the plan had been accepted.........

I saw a report in the Sunday Times that over here a doctor was suggesting that we could give people we meet a hug if we held a shower curtain between us.....expect panic-buying of shower curtains
Old 31 May 2020, 12:56 (Ref:3979452)   #1812
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Seeing as we are venturing away from planes and cars, I posted this in the weird local stories in parc ferme, but thought it might cause a chuckle here ....
Definitely one for the what could possibly go wrong file?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52843846
Old 31 May 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3979463)   #1813
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
In some cases its not what you want which is important but what you can do. OK, they re-open the houses of joy, but what about the 1,5 meter distance? This is a restriction!
Old 31 May 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3979472)   #1814
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As you might be aware, MotorSport Vision circuits (Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Donington Park, Oulton Park and Snetterton) are in the process of reopening on a gradual basis in line with the government’s phased strategy, and trackdays and testing are now taking place.

Please be advised that under the guidelines, and our COVID-19 operational protocols, it is not possible to admit media or members of the public to any of our venues at this time. As soon as this situation changes, we will email you to advise.

For the avoidance of any doubt, whilst these protocols are in place and until further notice, please do not attempt to gain media access to any MSV venue as you will not be admitted.

Best wishes,

Claire

Claire Britcher
Senior Media & PR Officer
MotorSport Vision and PalmerSport
Brands Hatch, Fawkham, Longfield, Kent DA3 8NG
Old 31 May 2020, 15:36 (Ref:3979479)   #1815
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Bauble for rescuing us from such unsavouryness

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2020, 17:26 (Ref:3979499)   #1816
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Bauble are you banned? Again???
Old 1 Jun 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3979621)   #1817
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How true those words are even today ……;
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_BBC%20announcement.jpg  
Old 1 Jun 2020, 13:29 (Ref:3979622)   #1818
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Bauble are you banned? Again???
Probably!
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3979646)   #1819
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did you notice the spelling mistake?
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3979647)   #1820
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Where is the typo? You’ve intrigued me
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3979650)   #1821
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The moral of the story is, read the article.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3979651)   #1822
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Was it a morally wrong mistake?
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3979654)   #1823
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 16:01 (Ref:3979656)   #1824
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just re-read the tribute and have found one little howler...
Old 1 Jun 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3979662)   #1825
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just re-read the tribute and have found one little howler...
I tried to spare someone's blushes, not to humiliate anyone. What ever happened to human decency and compassion?

Bauble He of the high moral tone.