Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Feb 2020, 09:18 (Ref:3955601)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
THE F1 COVID THREAD: Will GP be cancelled?

Will the Chinese GP be cancelled?

With the outbreak of the coronavirus, the outcome of this year's Chinese Grand Prix will be discussed at a meeting of the Strategy Group, on Wednesday.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/148118
Old 4 Feb 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3955610)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Sanya E-Prix has already been cancelled; right now I reckon the F1 GP is 50/50.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 12:18 (Ref:3955623)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I was to put money on it, I would say yes, it will be canceled. It's not far out and I assume the longer they delay on a decision, the more trouble it will be to adjust.

Richard
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3955643)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
If I was to put money on it, I would say yes, it will be canceled. It's not far out and I assume the longer they delay on a decision, the more trouble it will be to adjust.

Richard
Yep I concur...

Is it too late to get a short notice deal with Sepang or another Asian continent venue instead?
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3955646)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With no proven vaccines available for the virus, before mid-year at the earliest, it would strike me as a pointless exercise to even consider running the event on the scheduled date in mid April. What team is going to risk their key staff? What spectators will even want to go, and then there is the matter of most international flights to the area cancelled currently making access at best difficult.

Its best chance would be to exchange race weekends with another venue scheduled later in the year.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:47 (Ref:3955657)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We have had precedent for this. The 1967 RAC Rally was cancelled due to foot and mouth and so was the 2001 IOM TT and BRC for the same reason. Also the A1GP trip to Mexico in 2009 was cancelled due to the swine flu outbreak

There is a fair chance that this race will not go ahead. Unless things have improved come April, it’s not worth the risk IMHO. The fact the Chinese EPrix has been postponed shows this is a decision that can’t be taken lightly. If it’s not safe by April, I can see it being cancelled. In a congested calendar, where are they going to fit in a new date?
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:05 (Ref:3955659)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
We have had precedent for this. The 1967 RAC Rally was cancelled due to foot and mouth and so was the 2001 IOM TT and BRC for the same reason. Also the A1GP trip to Mexico in 2009 was cancelled due to the swine flu outbreak
The A1 GP cancellation is a reasonable comparison, but I would not consider the 1967 RAC Rally, or 2001 IOM TT is setting precedent per se.
They were cancelled to prevent the disease being transmitted, as opposed to protecting the competitors, teams and spectators from catching the illness.
It's a subtle difference, but one that should be remembered when we consider these types of situations.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3955661)   #8
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Additionally, if they are discussing it tomorrow, I think they have two options.

1. Cancel (with potential for reschedule if that can be done, but details at later date.)
2. Continue to monitor the situation (kick the can down the road).

Note there can't be a firm "it will happen on the scheduled date" with no further discussion. There is no way they can commit in a positive way given the situation.

Richard
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:52 (Ref:3955669)   #9
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer to cancel the race. I think visitors may not regain their trust to visit China within 2 months even the pandemic can be under controlled right now.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3955670)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
could the quarantine affect cargo?

air cargo flights canceled, staff shortages, workers quarantined etc...on top of everything else, i imagine there is a supply chain nightmare going on.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3955687)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

air cargo flights canceled, staff shortages, workers quarantined etc...on top of everything else, i imagine there is a supply chain nightmare going on.
Presumably all the race personnel run the risk of having to be quarantined after visiting somewhere not that far from Wuhan. And then as mentioned the cargo.
Wuhan, the epicentre of the pandemic, is less than a 4 hour train ride from Shanghai.
Less than two weeks after China teams will be setting up at Zandvoort.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3955700)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Presumably all the race personnel run the risk of having to be quarantined after visiting somewhere not that far from Wuhan. And then as mentioned the cargo.
Wuhan, the epicentre of the pandemic, is less than a 4 hour train ride from Shanghai.
I read recently that the virus has spread to every Chinese region.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...20-1?r=US&IR=T
Old 4 Feb 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3955706)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Presumably all the race personnel run the risk of having to be quarantined after visiting somewhere not that far from Wuhan....
i hadnt thought of that.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3955713)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Have the Chinese race and then cancel the rest of the season!

So difficulties getting out after the race, but the Vietnamese race is just prior. I believe Vietnam has closed all flights to/from China?

All joking aside, I hope the containment efforts work and that the outbreak burns itself out quickly.

Richard
Old 4 Feb 2020, 22:35 (Ref:3955747)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
As Zandvoort is the round after China how about getting back to.Europe early for a 'European GP' at Donington?!

Oh god I hadn't realised how ironic that would be and a highly unlikely event title for a UK race..
Old 4 Feb 2020, 23:12 (Ref:3955753)   #16
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ma Qinghua has had to quarantine himself in order to take part in the next formula e race, so yes it’s a problem. I can’t see f1 racing there before the autumn, and trying to fit it in will likely be difficult as the calendar’s congested already.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 00:14 (Ref:3955758)   #17
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
As Zandvoort is the round after China how about getting back to.Europe early for a 'European GP' at Donington?!

Oh god I hadn't realised how ironic that would be and a highly unlikely event title for a UK race..
(Being from the other side of the world the Brexit connection didn't sink in first read!)
Old 5 Feb 2020, 12:39 (Ref:3955860)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ma being in quarantine shows how serious this situation is. F1 needs to decide when to have a deadline on making a decision I would say.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 12:57 (Ref:3955867)   #19
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

I depend on the supply chain from China and put two orders in today, if we don't get the components ordered there will be lay offs happening. It is inevitable that the race will not go ahead, one contact in China has told me that the absolute earliest they are allowed to go back to work is the 11th of Feb and they are about a 1,000 kms away from the centre of the disease. He was of the opinion that date will be put back even further.

The compounding issue is that a huge proportion of the Chinese population migrate back to the country from the major cities for the Chinese New Year and it seems that the govt is trying to prevent those people travelling back to the Cities for work by simply closing down the industries.

Qantas yesterday put a two month embargo on any Chinese destination which has guaranteed that Australia will suffer a huge hit along for the tourist industry in particular along with returning students for the new year of University study. There are thousands of students stranded in China and not able to return.

If the race was to go ahead and one of the leading drivers was to get the virus I think the subsequent legal action by that team would be interesting seeing as they were forced to go to China by the promoters. It would be an intolerable position for Liberty to even think about holding it.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3955874)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
F1 needs to decide when to have a deadline on making a decision I would say.
Or maybe skip the first decision, and just make a decision.

Old 5 Feb 2020, 18:04 (Ref:3955948)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think it is looking very doubtful and to be honest othe races in that region could also be in doubt
Old 5 Feb 2020, 18:25 (Ref:3955957)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Or maybe skip the first decision, and just make a decision.

I mean not leave it too late to make a decision. Make sure the decision is made with good time, while monitoring the decision in the meantime
Old 5 Feb 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3955972)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I mean not leave it too late to make a decision. Make sure the decision is made with good time, while monitoring the decision in the meantime
As long as there's an actual decision in there somewhere, and not just endless deliberation.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3955973)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
There was meant to be a meeting of the Strategy Group today but so far nothing.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 19:40 (Ref:3955974)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There was meant to be a meeting of the Strategy Group today but so far nothing.
I think they need to plan a better strategy to decide on when they are having meetings. Perhaps they should come together as a group?