Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5 Apr 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3724009)   #16
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Funny you should mention a torque sensor. That was the plan the ACO put in place, was to have this mandated on all cars. That's the reason Porsche have given for them developing a brand new NA car, whilst everybody else went turbo. The ACO never did go down the torque sensor route and the result is Porsche regretting not using a turbo motor in the new GTE car.
I don't know the history of why they didn't require torque sensors in GTE in the recent past. It may have been cost, it may have been that with what we have now (performance measurements that are far removed from atomic, foundational and objectively measurable components plus... flawed restriction methods such as sonic air restrictors) manufactures think they can (and do) game the system to their advantage. Everyone likes loopholes to exist because they always think they can play the politics game better than the next guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not that you should be balancing the GTE cars IMO, as it's meant to be a manufacturer backed development class.
It's clearly an opinion thing. I don't know what the answer is (i.e. BoP or something else).

I think the problem is that if you base the cars upon production machines, that if a manufacturer wants to win, they will build a purpose built road car to match whatever the ideal technical solution would be for the technical regulations. Maybe the Ford GT is an example of that. Then what happens when everyone gravitates toward the same solution? It may look like what is happening today... slow migration to mid-engine turbo cars. It just becomes a somewhat spec series with the winner being whoever wants to spend the most money and can play the political game the best. Plus, not a lot of real diversity in the type and style in the cars other than livery and the manufacture badges on the cars. They might as well be another class of prototypes!

Richard