Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:48 (Ref:3884107)   #3751
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And he was also due to test the Vic Lee run BMW in 92, but then of course Vic got put inside for you know what
Old 14 Feb 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3884132)   #3752
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did anybody else catch Blundell and Hill on Midweek Motorsport last night? Great interview and it was clear both are taking it very seriously. Blundells drive came after years of being asked by Gow to join in. The full interview should be on the Radio Le Mans site.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3884147)   #3753
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blundell is the oldest driver on the BTCC grid age 52
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3884151)   #3754
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Blundell is the oldest driver on the BTCC grid age 52
Wow hold the front page! Is he the oldest ever?
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3884154)   #3755
porsche962fan
Veteran

he is just older than Matt Neal who is also 52 but a few months younger

Blundell in April 66 , Neal in December 66
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3884156)   #3756
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
can you start including ages on your lists please to save any debate
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3884164)   #3757
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Wow hold the front page! Is he the oldest ever?
Think the oldest - at least in recent years - was David Nye in 2013, at 55 years old.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3884165)   #3758
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
can you start including ages on your lists please to save any debate
In bold only if we've seen the birth certificate/ have a letter from their mummy confirming.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:55 (Ref:3884172)   #3759
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Think the oldest - at least in recent years - was David Nye in 2013, at 55 years old.
David Pinkney was 58 during his final 2010 season in the BTCC, but his racing driver age was 53. 😂
Old 14 Feb 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3884174)   #3760
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
In bold only if we've seen the birth certificate/ have a letter from their mummy confirming.

Does Sam Tordoff possess both a birth certificate and a TBL tho?
His filing cabinet must be full to the brim
Old 14 Feb 2019, 16:20 (Ref:3884180)   #3761
OultonGold
Rookie

OultonGold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OultonGold View Post
Dynamics of course have no obligation to provide "variety" by being a consistent entrant (and that in itself I recognize is good for the series) - but, if they ever move away from Honda, make a deal with a different manufacturer and indeed bring a very different looking "shell" into the series - great. But Plato has convinced 3 different manufacturers in the same time frame - that's impressive and given the series and fans variety of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I've selected just this point, and hopefully you could clarify a query against this for me please?

Since the inception of NGTC regs, as far as I can tell, the only cars Plato has specifically been involved with bringing to the grid are the Subaru and the MG6. My understanding is that these were also only a UK-based backing and not from a global perspective?

Over the same period, there have been 16 other models on the grid, all of which have contributed to the variety. If a car has full manufacturer support, local backing, or is just a model selected by a team, I don't see how it makes much difference to the spectators.

In terms of adding variety to the grid, Rob Austin has been as valuable as Plato.

There is also the issue that has been raised in some areas over the amount of Honda's that are now on the grid. This, I think, is alluded to in your comment about the 'buying shells off you' mentality. This is because Team Dynamics are consistent, and continue to develop the cars that they build. The MGs (and to a lesser extent the Subarus) are criticised as being old and losing relevance. This may be down to the fact that the entry of these cars was as part of a short-term plan, and not fully backed by a team with a long-term programme.

If it is the case that Plato has driven his last lap in BTCC, then I agree that it would be a shame for this to not have been recognised - but he has only brought that on himself through his approach in the last couple of seasons.
Hi, been away for a while as not a lot has been happening!

I didn't mention NGTC regs as base for my comments about shells with regards who has brought what to the grid - but the third manufacturer Plato secured backing from was Chevrolet. He initially entered as a Privateer entry and then secured their backing. The Cruze wasnt NGTC and I wasnt suggesting it was still on todays Grid.

The point was made in the wider context of someone who has over the years pushed and promoted the Championship to contain variety.

It will be interesting to see if the Championship is willing to tolerate the OLDER Civic shells with hybrid engines in them when the time comes. They hardly seem relevant to a hybrid era.

And there is no question that Rob Austin isn't as valuable as Plato - good on him for bringing different shells to the grid! That's the point really. Plato deserves more respect.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 16:20 (Ref:3884181)   #3762
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nick Foster, Jeff Smith and Mike Jordan were all north of 50 during their time on the grid.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3884213)   #3763
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
I know it's a slow news day compared to other news this week, but what are these ages adding here?
Old 14 Feb 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3884218)   #3764
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Does Sam Tordoff possess both a birth certificate and a TBL tho?
His filing cabinet must be full to the brim
Wonder if it's fire proof?

As for news we're due BTCs wing mirror colour/ second driver announcement on Monday and JPs on Wednesday.

So that means team Squiggle is Excelr8, PMR or ANOther not announced with Uncle Alans spare/ Sam Tordoffs TBL. Or BMR Phoenix From The Flames Racing with NOT Subaru.

I'm getting the keys to a Vauxhall very soon...
Old 14 Feb 2019, 19:21 (Ref:3884225)   #3765
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
still young pups, my mate mike is 83 and still competing in sprints and hillclimbs,
Old 14 Feb 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3884232)   #3766
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know it's a slow news day compared to other news this week, but what are these ages adding here?
Is that a question? If so it’s seems very similar to one asked on Tin Top Tuesday, what was the age in days of the grid at...........
Old 14 Feb 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3884254)   #3767
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Is that a question? If so it’s seems very similar to one asked on Tin Top Tuesday, what was the age in days of the grid at...........
I just mean in a series where we are constantly told anyone who gets a seat deserves to be there, what does it matter if he's 6 months or so older than Matt Neal and almost as old as Nick Foster was when he competed?
Old 14 Feb 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3884258)   #3768
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
As long as the drivers old enough to see over the wheel and their feet reach the pedals then that's all good as far as I'm concerned. Compared to some folks racing in stock cars in the States JP, Matt, Mark Blundell et al are still bairns.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:24 (Ref:3884274)   #3769
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Dave Pitcher was 65 when he entered his Honda at Brands Hatch in 2000!
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:43 (Ref:3884278)   #3770
porsche962fan
Veteran

6 seats left to be confirmed

added Jelley as confirmed as there are multiple referenes on the official team Parker twitter

MG - Excelr8 Motorsport - ???????
MG - Excelr8 Motorsport - Rob Smith

Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Mike Bushell
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Bobby Thompson
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Carl Boardley
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Michael Crees

Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - Tom Ingram

Mercedes A - Ciceley - Adam Morgan
Mercedes A - Ciceley - Dan Rowbottom

Mercedes A - Laser Tools - Aidan Moffat

Ford Focus - Motorbase - Tom Chilton
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Ollie Jackson
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Nicolas Hamilton

BMW 125 - WSR - Tom Oliphant
BMW 125 - WSR - Colin Turkington
BMW 125 - WSR - Andrew Jordan

BMW 125 - Team Parker - Stephen Jelley

Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Matt Neal
Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Dan Cammish

Honda Civic - BTC Racing - Chris Smiley
Honda Civic - BTC Racing - ????

Honda Civic - Simpson Racing - Matt Simpson

Honda Civic - AMD - Sam Tordoff
Honda Civic - AMD - Rory Butcher

Audi S3 - Trade Price Cars Racing - Jake Hill
Audi S3 - Trade Price Cars Racing - Mark Blundell

Vauxhall Astra - PMR - Senna Proctor ?????
Vauxhall Astra - PMR - Jason Plato ?????

Subaru Levorg - BMR - Ash Sutton ???
Subaru Levorg - BMR - ???
Old 15 Feb 2019, 07:04 (Ref:3884313)   #3771
S griffin
Veteran

Let's hope Jelley has a better season than he had last season, as the talent is still there
Old 15 Feb 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3884326)   #3772
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let's hope Jelley has a better season than he had last season, as the talent is still there
I hope so too, he is a genuinely nice guy. My understanding is that this season he has almost equal equipment to the other BMWs, in terms of the engine at least.
I dont think it was too well publicised that he was running an older, less developed engine compared to the WSR guys towards the front which unfortunately made his performances (Knockhill aside) look really poor in comparison.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3884331)   #3773
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
...and of course WSR have donkeys years experience of touring cars; Parker are relative newcomers.

Jelley can drive, and drive well. Small margins between front row and 2/3rds back down the grid. Be good to see him/ they reap some rewards for their efforts.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3884332)   #3774
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I dont think it was too well publicised that he was running an older, less developed engine compared to the WSR guys towards the front which unfortunately made his performances (Knockhill aside) look really poor in comparison.
A few articles mentioned that they were not using the B48 engine, but I don't recall the team specifically mentioning it (or using it as any form of excuse for results). They did say that they were down on straight line speed compared to other cars, but just seemed to quietly get on with their business.
Probably the reason they see no need to a big 'launch' or press release for the 2019 season, and hopefully we'll see them challenging the WSR cars regularly up at the sharp end.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3884346)   #3775
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I hope so too, he is a genuinely nice guy. My understanding is that this season he has almost equal equipment to the other BMWs, in terms of the engine at least.
It wasn't less developed, it was just the 2012-2016 WSR engine. I think the theory was they wouldn't be penalised under the engine equalisation process by running another engine to the works cars.