Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 3 Dec 2003, 20:21 (Ref:802996)   #1
PTs Bro
Rookie

England
Northampton
PTs Bro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC Winter Rallycross Champs.

With the struggle to get entries for the ANECC meetings are their any drivers, RallyX devotees or BARC types out their to advise whether the BARC championship will be worthwhile to go and watch, in terms of reasonable entries and more specifically whether there will be a good turn out for the Lydden round on the 27th Dec.
Basically I enjoy rally cross as a winter pursuit whilst the autograss boys take a breather, but I dont want to make a long journey after the Xmas festivities if it's not going to be worth it.:confused:
Old 4 Dec 2003, 09:13 (Ref:803495)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the Lydden rounds may have a stock hatch vs stock rod element to them as well as the 'normal' rallycross. On the evidence of previous years winter meets the entries are fairly low and a lot of the drivers seem to take the opportunity to test out their cars.

Anyway, it's better than staying in with the relatives!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 11:16 (Ref:803578)   #3
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BertMk2 as you put it in regard to staying in with the relatives, i could not agree more!

LOL
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:00 (Ref:804138)   #4
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It always worth getting out of bed at any time of year for a rallycross event. I intend to be in my orange romper suit for this one.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:21 (Ref:804166)   #5
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of entry forms were given out at Brands and interest seemed to be quite good. There is a planned stock hatch v group A hot rod challenge, the oval guys certainly added a new dimension back in February!!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:41 (Ref:804195)   #6
PTs Bro
Rookie

England
Northampton
Thanks for that info Rod. I certainly enjoyed the Stock Hatch v Stock Rod Challenge.......are there many hot rods likely to turn up?
Old 5 Dec 2003, 09:40 (Ref:804531)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Birley
....the oval guys certainly added a new dimension back in February!!
Yeah - some very dubious driving standards if I remember correctly, there was far too much contact.

Good to hear there is a lot of interest though.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 18:59 (Ref:805050)   #8
PTs Bro
Rookie

England
Northampton
Bert, the driving standards looked quite good to me, especially as their cars were set up to go in only one direction.

I'm still having trouble convincing "She who is to be obeyed" that the trip to Lydden is worthwhile but I've managed to put off the relatives for that day.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 23:16 (Ref:805228)   #9
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
There was a bit too much contact on the return leg at Ipswich during the second heat. At Lydden the driving standards were very good. So far, for the hot rod team, we have the Goldsmith brothers, Matt Leadbetter, Keith Perrin (who will be racing a van the next day), Gary Rouse, Steve Gooch. The stock hatch team is complete and will be on their website soon.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 13:58 (Ref:805526)   #10
RoyG
Racer

RoyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confirmed Stock Hatch competitors for the Stock Hatch vs. Hot Rod Challenge at Lydden on the 27th are -
Chris Cake, Kirk Twyman, Julian Godfrey, Stuart Emery, Roy Gravestock, Rodney Green, Alan Thorndyke, Rob Carr, Chris Langley and David Gorse.
Full details as soon as they're available.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 14:29 (Ref:805544)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Good to see that people are coming out to play so soon after xmas, does anybody know what format the meeting will take? Is it just stock hatch vs stock rod or will there be other rallycross classes there as well? It's on the event calendar as rallycross but I thought I'd check.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 17:16 (Ref:805622)   #12
RoyG
Racer

RoyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be normal Rallycross plus the Challenge.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 23:51 (Ref:808835)   #13
PTs Bro
Rookie

England
Northampton
Rod, which website will the Stock Hatch details be posted on and will there be a final entry list posted somewhere before the event?
Old 11 Dec 2003, 10:34 (Ref:809085)   #14
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
www.rallycrossuk
Old 12 Dec 2003, 22:23 (Ref:810591)   #15
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Steve Mills, who has also raced in Legends, is now confirmed for the hot rod team. Also there is a rally car class, so if any one is interested or knows anyone who might be, let the BARC south east centre know a.s.a.p. Thanks.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 12:07 (Ref:810892)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You guys don't know what cointact is, wait and se the F1 Stock Cars at Lydden next year.
I don't really mind it too much about a bit of contact and to be honest when you are sued to watching contact racing it rather annoys you when someone sits behind another driver for ages without giving him a nudge!
But I can see where you come from. You have to take the oval guys as they are though rubbing is racingn in stock rods and stuff and thees guys can overtake.
By the way Rod, I think your efforts to cross the formulas is to be applauded. So many of the circuit racing fraternity are stuck up about oval racing. Can't wait for the F1's round there, after speakingn to Alan England he reckons it is gonna be ablinder.
So come on guys, come and watch summat different that if you give it a chance will match anything trhe supercars can give you!
Old 13 Dec 2003, 13:45 (Ref:810934)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I don't have a problem with contact as long as it's clear that contact is OK and the drivers are all aware of this. Rallycross is a non contact sport (it's inevitable there'll be contact but it shouldn't be intetnional) - I was just appalled at the amount of damage being done to the stock hatch cars last time out - these guys are operating on a tight budget and always turn up with straight(ish) cars, the amount of panel damage was ott in my opinion.

The stock rods clearly accept a greater amount of contact (all the cars looked totally beaten up) which is fair enough when they're racing each other - I just think they need to show a bit of restraint when racing the stock hatch boys (and girls!).

If the F1's are going to Lydden I'll have to pop down for that! Loud and lary!
Old 14 Dec 2003, 23:15 (Ref:811838)   #18
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Sorry, the link to the rallycross website should be www.rallycrossuk.com
Old 16 Dec 2003, 17:12 (Ref:813245)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LOL, have to admit the thought of racing a load of guys in STock Rods wouldn't hold much fear for me, unless I ahd been to see them race!
Guess you have to say that if that is all you race then you are so used to the contact that it is never a problem and the class is a budget class and it is just taken as read that you are gonna go through front left wings and left side panels a bit so they just tend to leave em and repair em.
Another thing is that a lot of Stock Rod guys have been doing thier thing for years and have more than one car, maybe they were using older cars as the top guys tend to keep their cars in good shape
Old 16 Dec 2003, 17:17 (Ref:813247)   #20
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen. Can someone please supply me with the start times etc. for the Lydden meeting on December the 27th.
Cheers
John
Old 17 Dec 2003, 09:51 (Ref:813815)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I've got no definite start times etc but as it's a Saturday meeting I'd guess that practice would be starting some time just after 9ish with racing from 10? That's a relatively normal Lydden sort of timing (vague and subjct to change )
Old 17 Dec 2003, 10:11 (Ref:813831)   #22
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BertMK2 thanks for the response. I guess I will aim to get there shortly after 8.00. Looks like it's going to be a very good meeting. Looking forward to this.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:28 (Ref:813950)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
John - I'd keep checking both here and the rallycross uk website if I were you - there's usually more details put up nearer the time (entry lists, times etc). The event last year got cancelled (I found that out when I got down to Lydden and found several bemused people staring at the locked gates) but the February meet was great fun (apart from the lack of feeling in my feet).
Old 17 Dec 2003, 23:38 (Ref:814661)   #24
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
The meeting is on, unless the weather goes mad. Practice is due to start at 9 a.m. with heats getting underway about 10 ish. Finals should be about 2 p.m. finished by 3.30 followed by prizegiving. Entries are still trickling in, about 42 at present.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 08:44 (Ref:814895)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
42? That sounds ok - is that pretty much all stock hatch / stock rod or is there a smattering of the other classes as well? I guess the running format will be pretty much decided on the fly based on who/what turns up.

(What's 'mad' weather? Rallycross in the snow would be awesome!)