Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 12 Jun 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1326329)   #1
gridmodels
Rookie

gridmodels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are glamorous girls essential to motorsport?

Does anyone feel that the popularity of having glamorous girls at motorsport race meetings is waning?

Is this because more women are watching the sport?

Or is it just that the teams and organisers cannot afford to have the girls there and that's why we don't see so many?

I would be interested in your opinion!

Clara
Old 12 Jun 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1326338)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As this isn't specific to F1, we'll move it to trackside (parc ferme might be better, but not for those new members). After all that is where they stand. Asp if you have a problem bat it back!

Also check out the NISS sub-forum's favourite thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67552
Old 12 Jun 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1326339)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To answer the question. No they are not essential. I like a pretty girl as much as the next man, but I don't go to a motor race to see them.

As an aside I'm off to Le Mans next week and there will be the usual Hawian Tropic girls no doubt.

Perhaps a question to you though gridmodels, is motor racing essential to glamorous girls?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1326350)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In answer to the question. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then I'm a sad non pc bloke. If they can drive, well that's even better.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1326355)   #5
gridmodels
Rookie

is motor racing essential to glamorous girls?

The reason for my interest in the opinion of motorsport enthusiasts such as yourselves on this subject is that we have found this season that many of the teams, particularly in F1 but also in other series, are no longer using girls to promote their brand and I am interested in whether this makes a difference to the fans or not.

The BTCC this year put no grid-girls into the budget in Dunlop's sponsorship proposal, leaving it up to the teams whether to employ their own girls. In British Superbikes few of the teams an afford girls according to them; most use friends and family to stand in where they can. Even F1 teams such as Jordan who in the past were typically associated with Page 3 girls such as Jordan have declined to use their own girls. F1 is one of the few championships where the grid is filled by grid-girls provided by the organisers themselves rather than by each team.

I can see that some women might see grid-girls as politically incorrect; but if that is the case then so is having an all male set of drivers!! I get hundreds of applications from girls wanting to be grid-girls so there are obviously many women who do agree with their necessity! So yes, maybe motorsport is of interest to these glamorous girls!!

My personal opinion is that it's all a bit of fun! Everyone likes to see a pretty girl don't they? I think the teams need to lighten up and have some fun!
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1326366)   #6
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=AdamAshmore]To answer the question. No they are not essential. I like a pretty girl as much as the next man, but I don't go to a motor race to see them.

Ditto.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1326374)   #7
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridmodels
I get hundreds of applications from girls wanting to be grid-girls

My personal opinion is that it's all a bit of fun! Everyone likes to see a pretty girl don't they? I think the teams need to lighten up and have some fun!
I've got an ageing Mondeo parked outside that needs glamourising by some grid girls!!
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1326385)   #8
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TODAY, NOW - you need to go to the motogp.com website. The international competition as to who provides the most beautiful women backing this series is producing some stunning chicks.
It's all the fun of the fair; makes the world go round. How could it possibly do any harm?
The F1GP boys need to get their act together; bikers are way ahead.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1326394)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I get hundreds of applications from girls wanting to be grid-girls so there are obviously many women who do agree with their necessity! So yes, maybe motorsport is of interest to these glamorous girls!!
'Of interest'? Don't make me laugh.

I remember a classic moment at Knockhill BTCC a few years ago. Al Hyde went down the grid asking each their name and which driver they represented. Despite holding a board with the driver's name on and being stood in front of the car many didn't know or couldn't pronounce the name. Most are their not through any love of motorsport but simple because it pays the bills.

I've never fully understood the whole grid girl thing. As a spectator sat at say Donington Old Hairpin I can't even see the grid so how does having a few lycra clad bimbos do anything to improve my day out. You mention the BTCC for example. They've got enough problems at the moment and I can think of far better things the budget could be spent on.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1326397)   #10
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disappointed to find that this thread appears not to be just a lame excuse for posting some illustrative photographs.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1326416)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I like a pretty girl as much as the next man

No. I disagree entirely.

I like a pretty girl much more than the next man...........
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1326426)   #12
gridmodels
Rookie

response to 'redshoes': yes maybe some of the girls are just 'bimbos' but the majority are not.

Just because you are beautiful does that mean you have no brain and can have no interest in motorsport? I worked as a grid-girl for 6 years and I enjoy following many different championships as an enthusiast. I have a degree from a top university and run my own company. Many of my girls do the grid as well as high-flying office jobs and university degrees. Most are just fun-loving girls who like the atmosphere just as other enthusiasts do.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1326455)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'm afraid you are in the minority. They may not be 'bimbos' but the suggestion that the majority are their due to some love of motorsport is quite fankly ridiculous.

This company you run, it wouldn't be an model agency supplying grid girls by any chance? Do I detect a vested interest here?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1326456)   #14
gridmodels
Rookie

Don't judge a book by its cover

Just a thought: Why would a girl get up at 5am and drive half way across the country to work at a race on a Sunday morning if she did not enjoy motorsport?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1326458)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Same reason I get up at 5am and drive across the country to work, perhaps?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1326459)   #16
gridmodels
Rookie

On a Sunday?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1326460)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

If it's really all about the love of teh sport and not simply a way of earning a crust why not give the PR dept at Dunlop a call and offer to do the next meeting for free.

Thought not
Old 12 Jun 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1326465)   #18
gridmodels
Rookie

ok, so in that case why doesn't everyone who works in motorsport should do it for free just for the love of it then? no of course they don't! A person should enjoy your work that's all!!!!!!
Old 12 Jun 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1326470)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

Because everyone else who works in motorsport is a little more honest about the situation and will admit they do it for the money.

For sure be happy in your job but don't pass it off as having some higher motive.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1326488)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
On a Sunday?
If I'm told to... yes.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1326493)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I personally think they along with the ring girls at boxing matches are a bit old hat same as the topless models they used to have at the car shows, and not really necessary at all. Girls can drive if they want to anyhow, I used to work for Roger Nathan Racing way back in the 60's and they gave a Dutch girl a drive and she was stunning and in fairness probably why she got the drive so women can use their looks in motorsport. She also got plenty of attention in the teen mags at the time (they even interviewed me as her assigned mechanic). Mind you with respect I don't think the two lady F1 drivers got their drives that way. :-)
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1326534)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
so how does having a few lycra clad bimbos do anything to improve my day out.
You unfeeling brute!

These girls are working their collective butts off just to make you happy and all you can do is question their raison d'ete.

You are obviously of the "are there no workhouses" school of employment. ;P
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1326563)   #23
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Al on this one. Whether they enjoy motorsport or not doesn't really matter. Who cares if they dont know the name of the driver or the car he's in! They are there because they look good. All sorts of exhibitions and shows use the same girls. Next weekend they'll be at the NEC promoting some other male orientated product. I like them, but we never get them in the CTCRC! Times are probably changing a bit. The glamour girl thing is a bit "Old Hat" and I bet they cost a bit to hire too. So if the budgets get tighter the first thing on my list to chop would be the GGs
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1326568)   #24
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember going to the Motor show to try out a free cars for comparison on comfort, size etc etc. Half the time the scantily clad ladies had produced such a crowd of teenage boys with their tongues hanging out that I couldn't get near the cars. I went elsewhere. Did the PR work? I think not!

As for them at the circuit - just what has silicon, lycra, skin and 6" heels got to do with racing?

and the best one I have seen in year was a certain gird-person at Knockhill. He got more publicity for that one 'viewing' than the rest put together for the year.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1326660)   #25
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it brightens up my day-the more the better I say. Just remember one thing though the girls are not just there for us media or marshals. They are there to get their team or championship more coverage and also to keep the (male I guess!) spectators happy before/after racing. I'm sure a girl standing near a car or bike would make more eyes look in that area (so getting the sponsor name noticed) than if there was a car/bike without one. Come on down!