Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2243804)   #26
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mainly, I love Donington and I think the GP would be great, but on the current track. However the track is to be 'lengthend' and will no doubt be re-configured in places. I can only imagine the "Old Hairpin" will become a new one in these plans..!

2 years till Donington is due to host the British GP (providing it remains at this date) and the FIA will need to approve it months before surely. So less than 2 years to redevelop a track and improve transport links. I don't see it happening.

I can only hope this happens but like Bodysnatcher said, I smell the whole Brands Hatch debacle again and hope that it doesn't turn out that the GP switches back to Silverstone at the 11th hour in 2010.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2243808)   #27
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Oh, wonderful.

By the time you get out of the carpark it'll be time to go back in for next year.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2243810)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27
If we lost Donington and Brands Hatch from the Uk scene, I'd be upset. Silverstone is one venue I'd prefer to see as a housing estate.
I'd like to see Silverstone remain - if only for the sake of the other circuits. The requirements for hosting a GP generally mean the circuit is useless from a spectating point of view as you're so far back from the action, Silverstone is already a dead loss as far as spectating goes so why inflict that on other circuits. Donington will need a huge amount of work to the track, pits, circuit infrastructure and access that it really doesn't make sense in any way to move there.

Add me to the list of people that don't think this is actually going to happen - it'll be at Silverstone or not at all. Either way Bernie will come out of this with a slightly larger pile of cash than he had before.

Edit: Should also say that I really like Donington as a circuit in its current layout.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2243812)   #29
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I was quite excited when I heard the news - thinking about seeing F1 cars hurtling around Donnington again. Seems like I'm in the minority though as everyong else is moaning...

I assume that plans for upgrading / improving the track and facilities at Donnington would have been advanced and put down on paper in order to win the contract. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2243813)   #30
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Edit: Should also say that I really like Donington as a circuit in its current layout.
Me too.

Do what you must Mr Tilke, but please, please, please leave the Craner Curves and the Old Hairpin intact.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2243817)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
I was quite excited when I heard the news - thinking about seeing F1 cars hurtling around Donnington again.
It would be fine with me if (and it's an important if) it didn't mean butchering the circuit and turning it into another soulless tilke-odrome. I mean how much of the current Donington character would remain? Somewhere in the region of naff all I'd guess. Get scribbling in the "My tracks" forum - what will the new track look like?
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2243819)   #32
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Pete_58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok im probably about to get slated but...

If they can find the money to improve facilities at Donington, (god knows they need it, been to watch MotoGP and BTCC, nightmare to get in and out) why couldnt they spend the money on Silverstone??!!

Also considering that Donington already host BTCC, MotoGP, BSB, does this mean they will get moved to other times or venues to suit?! Silverstone host (or did!)F1 and....
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2243821)   #33
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_58
If they can find the money to improve facilities at Donington, (god knows they need it, been to watch MotoGP and BTCC, nightmare to get in and out) why couldnt they spend the money on Silverstone??!!
Why on earth would the owners of Donington plough money into improving Silverstone?
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2243822)   #34
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If we lost Donington and Brands Hatch from the Uk scene, I'd be upset. Silverstone is one venue I'd prefer to see as a housing estate.
And I suspect you're on your own there.

I think Bernie has made a very big miscalculation here.

He has spent years criticising Silverstone over it's facilities and yet gives the contract to one that by comparison is an absolute tip. And having marshalled at both circuits I feel perfectly justified in saying that.

Donington is a fantastic track in terms of layout, and H. tilke is widely regarded by everyone outside of Bernie's inner circly to be incapable of designing a track with even a remote sense of charachter. This is almost certainly going to be bye-bye to the GP Loop.

The government responded to criticism over Silverstone's acces by upgrading the A43 to a dual-carriageway. I doubt that will happen again.

I could go on and on, but suffice to say I cannot see one positive about this. There is only one way this will end, and that's in tear's.

Last edited by Cynic; 4 Jul 2008 at 12:27.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2243827)   #35
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Add me to the list of people that don't think this is actually going to happen - it'll be at Silverstone or not at all. Either way Bernie will come out of this with a slightly larger pile of cash than he had before.

I agree with BerkMk2 (and others) that this is unlikely to happen within the next two years for the (scheduled) start of the contract. In turn - and my view is that this is the real reason - it gets Bernie / FIA off the hook about wanting to drop the British GP and passes the blame elsewhere - Donington, the local Council, the Government and the planning system.

A good political move for Bernie & co - a bad day for the British GP and British motorsport (again, nothing against Donington - it's a cracking circuit that doesn't deserve to be spoilt).
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2243828)   #36
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/News/...ews_id017.html

These plans were submitted in 2001. I think this retains the character of the circuit, whilst improving the least satisfactory part of the current track (the GP Loop)
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2243830)   #37
Pete_58
Rookie

England
Pete_58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Why on earth would the owners of Donington plough money into improving Silverstone?
Sorry my post didnt really read right. What i meant was they have the money to improve Donington, so why was there no money to improve Silverstone?
I always thought that the tracks in the UK were owned by the same company. Obviously not!!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2243831)   #38
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what happens to donington park while the developments take place? Is 2009 going to see it shut to circuit racing? If the whole circuit is being redesigned does this mean they will lay it over the top of the current track making an additional circuit ,or will they dig it all up and start again?
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2243833)   #39
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I always thought that the tracks in the UK were owned by the same company. Obviously not!!
I'm sure Jonanthan Palmer is working on it
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2243836)   #40
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/News/...ews_id017.html

These plans were submitted in 2001. I think this retains the character of the circuit, whilst improving the least satisfactory part of the current track (the GP Loop)
Interesting and relatively minor revisions, although with a fair amount of disruption to pits / paddock which would impact on the operation of the circuit in the meantime.

It's not clear from the article whether these were ever submitted, let alone given planning permission, but if they did get permission chances are that they'd have to start again anyway, given the length of time since then.

Lets just hope this years's race is a good one!!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2243841)   #41
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tell me, when are Bernie and Max going to leave the sport.

They've had a great run, ruffled lots of feathers in both F1 and other series, please go, NOW!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2243846)   #42
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree this could cause mayhem at national motorsport level, but I laughed out loud when I saw the announcement.

No more nor less than the BRDC deserve. They should sell Silverstone and revert to being an old boys' social club.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2243847)   #43
simon4007
Rookie

England
simon4007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the news and immediately thought it was fantastic! 2 World class circuits in the UK, massive redevelopment for one of the UK finest tracks, and close by for me!

I did on the flip side worry that the original feel of the circuit could become sanitized by all the safety changes.

After reading the thread I'm not quite so positive about the news.... I for one really hope it comes off and we have a GP circuit to be proud of! Unfortunately I like many of you am now worried that it going to be too much to ask to have it ready in time and be world class in every regard!!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2243849)   #44
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ok im probably about to get slated but...

Also considering that Donington already host BTCC, MotoGP, BSB, does this mean they will get moved to other times or venues to suit?! Silverstone host (or did!)F1 and....
My standards may not be as high as Bernies, but I've visited Silverstone at least once a year for the LMS race, and been pleasantly suprised how much it's been improved. I also find there are plenty of good viewing spots.

The LMS was at Donington in 2005, I was pleased with this, but after viewing the event, it was clear those cars were not suitable for that track in it's current configeration, overtaking spots were very limited.

F1 may fair better seeing as they won't be lapping traffic, at least not in the numbers a prototype would against GT's, but still, I can't see the circuit being more suitable than Silverstone.

Last edited by JAG; 4 Jul 2008 at 13:04.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2243851)   #45
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Complete tosh. Donington's just rebuilt it's pits for motorbikes, so they'd need doing again. Access for anything like a large crowd is awful, no hotel infrastruture, etc, etc. Add to that it's a wonderful track and I could accept F1 cars going to race around it, but it will get ruined and rebuilt so they might as well go anywhere. My guess is the only bit Tilke would leave alone is the GP loop which is the poorest bit.

My guess is it's all politics and Britains once more being dragged through the mire to further the personal and financial ambitions of the two clowns who run F1 to the detriment of just about every other motorsport in the world. I could forgive that attitude if it was still run by the French, but this is English people who are doing this to us. Shameful.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2243856)   #46
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the person who said this is a way of getting rid of the British GP.
Theres no way the redevelopment will be finshed in time.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2243860)   #47
Delta Caller
Rookie

Delta Caller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl

but Donington has absolutely nothing in the pipeline right now. I just can't imagine how on earth this is supposed to come together in 2 years. Surely it's impossible?
How do you know that Donington has not got anything in the pipeline ?
Because they are not jumping up and down shouting about what they are planning doesn't mean to say that this hasn't been going on for a while in the background.

Since the takeover i am lead to believe that donington has more land that people are aware of (maybe i'm wrong )

It is a huge task and Donny needs to sort Spectator facilities out as well as the track to get this thing off the ground. Good luck to them

Last edited by Delta Caller; 4 Jul 2008 at 13:07.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2243864)   #48
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is sad news indeed. Silverstone is a great track and adds a different variety to the type of circuit that we have. As a racing fan it is highly disappointing.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2243871)   #49
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
....incapable of designing a track with even a remote sense of charachter. This is almost certainly going to be bye-bye to the GP Loop.
This seems an odd comment to me. How can the GP Loop have character when it was only added to fairly artifically bring a circuit up to an arbitrary minimum length - strange......
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
My standards may not be as high as Bernies, but I've visited Silverstone at least once a year for the LMS race, and been pleasantly suprised how much it's been improved. I also find there are plenty of good viewing spots.
Aha - now I see the problem with your view. Your viewing this from a spectators perspective - £cclestone has no interest in them whatsoever. I'm sure he'd have a GP on the moon if it paid enough
Old 4 Jul 2008, 13:20 (Ref:2243879)   #50
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a nonsensical decision, it just smacks of Eccelstone wanting rid of Silverstone at any cost. I suspect he will give Donnington as much support as they require even if it's financial. They certainly have plenty on their plate though. An unsuitable track, very poor facilities for both teams and spectators and no road infrastructure to facilitate an event as large as a GP. I trust that we wont be paying for a new road system around Donnington through our taxes. Perhaps we should examine whether we can recover the cost of the road network around Silverstone from Ecclestone. There is no doubt that Ecclestone is one very sad little man who has over the past couple of decades used motor racing as a vehicle to expand his families wealth at the expensive of anyone who stands in his way and the sport itself.