Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 May 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2469279)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Castle Combe Rapid Racking Historic Festival

This one is Masters Top Hat on the Saturday and HSCC on the Sunday. Last year was tremendous fun and hopefully will be again this year.

Details here: http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/...sp?EventID=161
Old 26 May 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2469407)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assuming we go the distance at Snet, we'll be there. Lovely circuit.
Old 26 May 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2469427)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I understand it there's a week long carnival going on. The weekend before has parades and a few demo laps of historic cars.
Old 26 May 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2469510)   #4
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'll be there on Saturday Peter so look forward to seeing you and the rest of the 'gang' there.
Old 26 May 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2469627)   #5
Highworth
Rookie

England
Wiltshire
Highworth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was hoping to be there Saturday to spectate for a change but family scuppered that plan, so have to make do with my 70’s race on Sunday.

By the way, and as alluded to in the other CCombe thread report, I have it on good authority from having done the Club Lotus day last Saturday and failing noise checks miserably (until a cherry can from Merlin was fitted), the noise testing will be as strict as ever on the classic weekend so all be warned.

Anyway the bonus of course, as well as it being my local track, is the fantastic crowds that always seem to flock to CC – makes a pleasant change to racing in front of empty stands at S’stone. Just got to survive Snet this w'end first !

No 10 Europa
Old 9 Jun 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2478523)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Getting close and the weather forecasters are not so pessimistic as they were a couple of days ago!

Who's there? Both days for me with Gilbern- Cloth Cap & Guards- and looking forward to them both. Have taken the car there last 2 years for this event and always meet plenty of knowledgeable spectators. In 60s it was almost Gilbern's 'home' circuit, being built in Cardiff!

Mike
Old 9 Jun 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2478546)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep,

Tickets are here so I guess I'll have to be there now. Can only make Saturday because I'm flying out Sunday morning.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2478550)   #8
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a Classic F3 race on Sunday, with qualifying Saturday late afternoon. Paul Smith usually goes well here so he should finally be able to challenge Bill Coombs. I'm bringing the Modus.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2478560)   #9
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't be put off by the apparently small entry list on the HSCC website. HSCC racers are notoriously late in entering meetings - that's how Grahame White's hair came to match his name!
Old 9 Jun 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2478600)   #10
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just polishing the wheelnuts, we'll be there midday Saturday I hope. Our paddock area is such a long way from everyone else they're sending the scrutineers by taxi, now that's what I call service!
Old 9 Jun 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2478666)   #11
banbury
Rookie

banbury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ll be racing on Sunday.70s Roadsports Alfa#57.

We`re in the back paddock(car park) scrutineers are doing us in situ.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2478943)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am there Saturday in the Cloth Cap and OBG in the Turner and Sunday in Guards in the Merlyn - I love Castle Combe not only is it only 30 minutes away but it has a great clubbie feel to it
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2479076)   #13
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highworth View Post
The noise testing will be as strict as ever on the classic weekend so all be warned.
As a reminder, please can you check/repack/replace you silencers prior to the event as there is usually precious little time between being tested and start of qualifying (there is a ban on engines running prior to 08:30 and 1st practice is scheduled for 08:40)

We can pre-test a limited number of cars during the morning, so please come and ask if you are think you are likely to have problems.

HTH
Old 10 Jun 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2479100)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As my wife has booked us into one of the nicest hotels just outside of Dijon,this is one meeting I'll miss Hope you all go well,have fun!
Old 10 Jun 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2479104)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
are you racing Terry or just speccy'ing? I was hoping to have the benefit of your safety car driving at CC!!
Old 10 Jun 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2479577)   #16
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See you there on the Sunday in HRS - Red Lotus. I got caught by nise checks last year - car passed when I increased my revs by 1000 rpm! but by then it meant I missed qualifying.

Paul
HRS #46
Old 11 Jun 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2479916)   #17
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there on Sunday but not sure if I will be racing yet as the MG midget in road sports is still lacking in the braking department, will try bleeding them again tonight. I could swap to the march in classic racing car but getting passed the noise test will be the biggest challenge and if anything happens to the car I won't be able to make the big F3 gathering at Brands.

Not been to Combe for a while so I hope to make it in some shape or form as it's a great circuit and should be a good weekend.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2480010)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I am there Saturday in the Cloth Cap and OBG in the Turner and Sunday in Guards in the Merlyn - I love Castle Combe not only is it only 30 minutes away but it has a great clubbie feel to it
From Silverstone ...

Old 14 Jun 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2482684)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well it was good to met up with Simon, John Gee, Mike Bell and Andrew Davenal, to name but a few. The Masters Saturday event had a god mix of cars but small grids. That said the HSCC grids weren’t looking too full so I guess the squeeze is squeezing.

Our grid should have included some group 2 machinery but apart from the invitation Perana there was a Capri on slicks that loked more modsaloons than Group 2 so it was a bit of a disappointment. However in Group 1 we had Jim McCloughlin in a very well sorted Capri, Peter Halford n his Camaro, two BMW 2002s, Dave Margalies with Holman Blackburn in his Capri and me.

We tested at Mallory during the week and with the new suspension I took 1.5 secs out of my best time so I was optimistic. In qualifying I managed a second quicker than my previous best to grid sixth overal and third in class but a lot slower than Peter and Jim. However I only had one flying lap due to bedding in brakes and then a blown engine in the car in front of me so I wasn’t unhappy. I thought I’d at least get to fight with the Aston lightweight ahead of me.

Come the race 3 discovered terminal understeer which made Quarry and Camp particularly entertaining. Tower was on tip toe all the way through so inevitably David M caught me up. Having defended for what semed a lifetim ofprobably 5 laps, he got past me at Quarry and scampered off. While he was behind I saw how well he got int the apexes, something that totally eluded my steering. Hey ho with the retirement of Peter H at least I was third in class and consistantly on or just under my previos best time.

After the stops Holman came out in David’s Capri and I jumped him before he got up to speed, thereafter he was in “bring it home mode” so I finished in my usual 2nd in class poitision.

Overall a hoot of a race seeing as I was never certain whether to plant the right foot or feather it in the corners. Still even with the problem it was still reasonably quick although slower than qualifying, so look outb you lot, I might even get it sorted soon!

As usual these days great weather and many thanks to the Marshals, Castle Combe circuit and of course Cliare, Jo and the Masters team for providing us with the opportunity.

Good luck to Simon in his race today.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2482690)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
PS apologies for poor spelling I'm in the lounge on my "fat thumbs" unfriendly PDA.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2483347)   #21
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Peter being a regular at Combe we were all rather disappointed with the turn out of cars and feel 45 min races do nothing for us the paying public with tiny grids something we're not used to at combe.I do understand that you want value for money too so with the enduro races being only on the saturday helped a little although my 14 yr old didn't agree, i suppose we're not classic fans but support Combe no matter the meeting.

We all felt for the chap who rolled his tr at Quarry on saturday thay was a shame.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2483364)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep it was Michael Pearson. I spoke to him afterwards and fortunately it's only wallet damage.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2483543)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

We had a great weekend - Saturday in the Turner which through attrition we managed a class win (who said small grids are a bad thing!!!). Although OBG could have been bigger the Cloth Cap grid was a decent size.
Guards on Sunday in the Merlyn which was excellant but frustrating as after a great start I was blocked for several laps by a Marcos (even the marshalls were showing him a blue flag!) but when they put you on the grass and chop your nose off into the corners you lose confidence in late braking them!! When a problem pulled him up I cracked on but a faulty temperature guage extennded my pit stop - sadly that meant I finished 5 places down from where I would have been but a great race. Castle Combe has a unique atmosphere and it is a meeting I always look forward to and probably the only track where I go and spectate the other races
Old 15 Jun 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2483899)   #24
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes the meeting was fun, it is very laid back and the local club is very friendly. I really enjoyed the track, the bumps make it very interesting and challenging. I even enjoyed the 3rd gear chicanes (Snetterton take note please!). Poor Bill Coombs did his Argo no good at all after bagging pole position - he buried it under the tyre barriers at Quarry and was quite lucky to be able to walk away. Paul Smith broke a drive shaft as recounted by Delta elsewhere, but it was changed and he won the race. Trotty's right foot was too heavy and he had problems with his throttle sticking open both in qualifying and in the race. The field was rather thin, proof being that I finished on the podium! The Modus was actually quite competitive, perhaps being able to get full throttle helps! Roll on Brands superprix, where I may get a chance to try Paul Smith's Chevron.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2483961)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
First, before anyone gets bored, big thanks as ever to CCRC, Masters, HSCC and all willing marshals / volunteers who made for a very enjoyable weekend! Good to say Hi to Peter, have a chance to chat with Simon at last and John Gee about stuff other than yellow flags! Oh, and Cliff Ryan lurking on the pitwall later in the day. Now my memories of 3 races-

3rd year running to Combe for the Historic w/end. Touch wood not had any dramas before but arriving friday was reminded what an unforgiving circuit it can be if things go wrong! The familiar 'big hammer on sheet steel' sound took me to the Patrick Watts / Jim McDougall Mustang, the front wing of which was being reshaped off the car after a test session. Many trackday cars also 'enjoying' the circuit included a Clio 172 which at the end of the day sported a completely flat rear end and worrying creases in both rear wings. Hope it got home OK!

Entered in Cloth Cap and Guards, I travelled the 200+ miles accross in convoy with James Paterson, who was entered in the sunday HRS race with +8 and sharing my Gilbern for the other two. We decided that as the C/Cap practice was 25mins I would just do 3 laps and let him do the rest. As he had never sat in the Gilbern before, and last raced at Combe 10 years ago seemed like a good idea! Of course, the best laid plans never work and as I came in after 3 laps the session was red flagged, I think after Michael Pearsons nasty accident in the TR4. Seeing the car later, I am guessing the lhr hub or shaft broke? Despite an officials protest we swapped drivers while waiting and eventually the session restarted with 10 minutes remaining, so needless to say our best time was lap 3!

Race- (28 starters, 24 finishers) Starting near the back as usual, hemmed in by XKs with the Boyes snr & jnr MGB and Mark Hoble's +4 in front, the chance of making up any places from the start was very remote, and so it proved! At least the field made it round Quarry intact, but one of the TR4s (the Ross-Jones car I think) went onto the grass at Old Paddock and finished up behind 'our' group. We then had a good scrap with an XK, the +4, TR4 and me together for several laps. The Jag, as usual faster on straights but braking sooner and a bit slower through corners, kept us all behind but eventually we all got past just before the SC came out! As only 15 minutes had elapsed I decided it was too early to pit for driver change so cruised round with XK looming in mirrors. Fortunately he was not as ready when the restart happened and I pulled out a decent gap before coming in to hand over to James. After a few minutes the SC was out again for a lengthy session after what appeared (from the pit wall) to be confusion over who was actually leading- the whole field having to be released at one point. After SC came in James was behind the +4 and closed to 3 seconds- setting our fastest lap on the final tour. At the front, Jamie Boot was behind Chris Scragg's E after the safety car session but closed quickly, taking the lead as they came though Camp on the final lap to win by less than 3 tenths. Ian Cox bought his Marcos home in 3rd a further second behind!

Sunday- Fortunately having signed on and scrutineered on saturday for today's races, we had a little more sleep than some and only had to push the +8 to the collecting area ready for 0830 'engine start' and 0840 practice. Immediately after firing up the Rover lump the noise tester arrived, to be politely refused until some heat was showing on the gauge! This led to James being last out instead of first, but he found enough space to set pole just ahead of Dave Randall (G4) and the 2 Elans of Paul Tooms & Andrew Marler. The +8 looked quite a handful over the bumps, and James admitted that Combe was not a good Morgan circuit!

Race- (18 starters, 12 finishers.) Although the +8 powered away from the line, the G4 had the lead at lap end, but James got into his stride and the two cars circulated nose to tail for the next few laps with +8 just ahead. Sadly Andrew Marler retired with a misfire on lap 4, and then it all went wrong when Simon King's +4, Andrew Jackson's Alfa and James Owen's TR5 all suffered accident damage at some point, plus the Simon Bee P1800 took out the Bobbies chicane cones, requiring the safety car to be deployed. The race then finished behind SC in order Paterson, Randall & Tooms.

Guards- (29 starters, 24 finishers.) Practice for the Guards trophy was without incident or red flag and James posted our best time on lap 3 again before handing over. A big gap between the leading B8 on 1.15 and last 2 cars around 1.40 promised an 'interesting' race! Our grid position in the Gilbern was just behind Mark Hoble's +4 and Martin Richardson's MGB, with Paul Castaldini's 'low drag' E, 2 TR4s and the Gaston's Grantura ahead of them. I was determined we should beat at least the Morgan and MGB this time! The Merlyn of Roger Seymour alongside me was expected to disappear quickly but- For once, I had a good position on the outside of the grid, and the Gilbern gets off the line very well! As everyone got in each others way I was able to drive straight past several cars and by Quarry had made up about 10 places and was right behind the William's Stingray! Luckily the corner was without incident and by the time the quicker cars had got past me again I was well ahead of the +4 and MGB, and that is the way it stayed until our driver change at 20 mins. In my determination to 'gap' the other 2 cars I took another half second of James's Cloth Cap best, the time of 1.28-8 being six seconds quicker than last year! As I came in to pit the SC went out again, the Castaldini E parked after Quarry with what looked like broken rear right suspension and the Corvette at Bobbies after (from the smoke!) engine problems. Despite being held at pit exit James was still ahead of the MGB and the +4 was a way behind, but of course the gaps closed up and for the last few laps after the SC went in the Gilbern and B were in close proximity- James eventually deciding not to risk bending the car blocking Martin's out-braking attempt into Tower on the last lap. As said afterwards, a good result a Combe is taking both cars home without a scratch on them! Race winner was the Dodd's G16 followed by Steve Hodges B8 2.4 secs later and the Thompson / McClurg B6 a further 35 secs behind.

As mentioned in previous post, Castle Combe was a popular venue for Gilberns in period club racing and sprints, so it was nice for my car to get a mention in the programme. Thanks for that, whoever was responsible! Among the spectators who new what the car was, an elderly gent with Welsh accent asked me what year the car was. When told He responded that he quite likely made the chassis for the car, as he had been a welder there at that time!

Quick clean up and we are off to Shuttleworth Collection next sunday for Gilbern 50th anniversary celebration. Should be a good day out!

Mike

Tags
castle combe, hscc, masters