Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Mar 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3806089)   #3101
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Do we have any proof that he actual drove an Avensis? Only picture is of him sat in the car in the garage. None of the pictures of the car on track show anything other than Ingram at the wheel. The fact that Speedworks posted the picture with a smilie at the end of the comments indicates that maybe all is not as it seems.
I've picked up on the fact that Luke was testing Speedworks LMP car. Not the Toyota. So maybe he just had a sit inside, snap a picture, tongues wagging. Speedworks doing a Hollamby!!!
Old 5 Mar 2018, 23:05 (Ref:3806095)   #3102
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
I'd love to see those Infinitis back, I can't help but feel they had so much potential that was untapped (plus they looked pretty cool). I wonder why no other team snapped them up after the SOP debacle?
I don't understand why people talk about certain cars having "potential". This isn't the super touring days where there was inherent advantages to having road cars with particular properties. The team that wins in the BTCC these days is not the team that builds the best cars, it is the team that runs the most professional garage.

Winning in the BTCC is no longer really related to how fast a car you can build, but more how good the team is at setting it up, spending the $$$ on having all the new parts as/when they are allowed to do so (a lot of so-called "big" teams don't even do this).

There's maybe only three or four outfits in the last 10 years that have operated at that level, and it's no surprise to see they've accounted for 8 of the last 10 championships (and 15 of the last 17 in fact) - Dynamics, WSR, RML and pre-Ian Harrison departure 888.

Last edited by thetool; 5 Mar 2018 at 23:12.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 23:15 (Ref:3806096)   #3103
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I don't understand why people talk about certain cars having "potential". This isn't the super touring days where there was inherent advantages to having road cars with particular properties. The team that wins in the BTCC these days is not the team that builds the best cars, it is the team that runs the most professional garage. Winning in the BTCC is no longer really related to how fast a car you can build, but more how good the team is at setting it up, spending the $$$ on having all the new parts as/when they are allowed to do so (a lot of so-called "big" teams don't even do this). There's maybe only three or four outfits in the last 10 years that have operated at that level, and it's no surprise to see they've accounted for 8 of the last 10 championships (and 15 of the last 17 in fact) - Dynamics, WSR, RML and pre-Ian Harrison departure 888.
I think the "potential" of the Infiniti cars mentioned relates really to them being rear wheel drive, which as we know by 2017 was the platform to have. They didnt get a huge amount of development, in fact if i remember rightly they only had 1 car at the first round (maybe first 2), and seemed to be being run by the chuckle brothers. If a more professional team with more resource and experience of the championship had the cars rather than the amateur hour lads that were running it, they could have got the car a little further forward
Old 5 Mar 2018, 23:38 (Ref:3806101)   #3104
HCR
Rookie

HCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There has always been the provision for two additional entries over and above the original 32, so having guest cars at Snetterton would not mean someone else standing down.

http://www.btcc.net/2013/11/04/toca-...-btcc-licence/
John Cleland and Tim Harvey for the Snetterton 60th Special then!
Old 6 Mar 2018, 02:54 (Ref:3806119)   #3105
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the cars having a technical setup and suspension design unlike no other saloon/hatch racing cars on the planet, they have an incredibly narrow technical working window in which they are fast. Having an engineer which can position the car in the window and make it work for the driver is the most key thing to any team. In theory you could take the damper, toe,ride height setting from the PMR Astra and bolt it to the Ciceley Merc or Handy Alfa and it'd broadly handle the same and with the same driver likely lap within a second. However you need a Geoff Kingston, Barry Plowman or Carl Faux to make the car come alive and dial the times down by making the nuances work for the driver. The box of parts are the same but the way they are screwed together and how they are utilised are the difference between back markers and front runners. Driver talent also shines through as some experienced racers just understand how NGTC cars work quite quickly (Menu, Huff, Sam Tordoff Frank Wtrathall were consistently quick in NGTC after being successfully in other formulae), some struggle (Giovanardi, Glynn Geddie had potential for better results if they got a handle on the car), I'd like to see someone like Yvan try one and see how he got along with it.

Last edited by medius; 6 Mar 2018 at 03:01.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 05:07 (Ref:3806137)   #3106
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Race weekend as I recollect, so whoever turns a wheel at Brands is the first driver.
Registration of drivers for the 2018 season had to be completed by 23rd February. Drivers were then officially notified on the 2nd March if their registration was successful.

After that date - teams can nominate a substitute driver (in exceptional circumstances).
Old 6 Mar 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3806151)   #3107
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add to the scenario of Speedworks running 2 cars. At ASI when I was quizzing TIngram he said the only changes at Speedworks would be operational. His 2017 car was there untouched & they were working on a shell preparing it for this year. Now they may of stripped last years car to build up this seasons but ........................
Old 6 Mar 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3806157)   #3108
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Registration of drivers for the 2018 season had to be completed by 23rd February. Drivers were then officially notified on the 2nd March if their registration was successful.

After that date - teams can nominate a substitute driver (in exceptional circumstances).
Those dates would imply all the seats have been filled for a week and a half then.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3806162)   #3109
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I don't understand why people talk about certain cars having "potential". This isn't the super touring days where there was inherent advantages to having road cars with particular properties.
Body shape, drivetrain layout, wheelspan, CoG, lots of different factors can differentiate how a road cars properties can govern It's suitability to being a good race car.

Last edited by RS67; 6 Mar 2018 at 09:17.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3806172)   #3110
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double post
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:30 (Ref:3806177)   #3111
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Not sure if I'm missing the point, I don't see how Cole signing for Motorbase, as we were starting to predict means there are less likely to be 3 BMR Subaru cars, seemingly on the grounds of a driver making a comeback from serious injury having a go in both a LMP3 Ligier and a BTCC car for the same team
Others covered but my reasoning was marginally simpler. It was just that Cole was considered locked in for that car and had sponsorship, that he's not in it and the BMR have never said "3 Subarus" does lead me to think they may not be planning to enter a 3rd.

So then you switch to who else could and really there's only 1 name that even might have another car planned, with the possible exception of a genuine surprise from Team Parker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
You forget that James Cole is a BTCC race winner. I think he'll do more than trundle round at the back!
I take your point but outside that good mid-season run he scored points once in 21 races and finished 16th in the championship winning car. He finished 23rd or worse more times that he took top 10s across the season.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3806178)   #3112
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Those dates would imply all the seats have been filled for a week and a half then.
Not necessarily - late entrants can be made after the 23rd February, but they incur a 20% fee on top (at administrator's discretion).

I would imagine that, at the very least, Motorbase will have withdrawn the registration for Jackson prior to the 23rd, so they are not in a 'replacement driver' situation.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3806182)   #3113
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Others covered but my reasoning was marginally simpler. It was just that Cole was considered locked in for that car and had sponsorship, that he's not in it and the BMR have never said "3 Subarus" does lead me to think they may not be planning to enter a 3rd.
It's possible that BMR had originally registered their entry (with TBL) back in November when all TBLs were allocated, with the expectation that Cole would be in their 3rd car.

Since that date, as Cole is now in the Motorbase, that may mean that the 3rd BMR seat is available - but would anyone else be interested in playing 3rd fiddle to Sutton and Plato? If BMR are unable to fill the seat, they may have to relinquish the TBL to TOCA, who in turn may allocate to another interested team/driver - Speedworks with Davenport?
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:49 (Ref:3806191)   #3114
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Indeed.

Or we're all trying to manufacturer any excitement at all in a pre-season that'll end up with Price at Subaru and generic-paydriver at AmD.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3806195)   #3115
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed.

Or we're all trying to manufacturer any excitement at all in a pre-season that'll end up with Price at Subaru and generic-paydriver at AmD.
-I agree on this 100%

Tho Dynamics essentially have a race prepared old car still on hand, could this be rolled out for someone in the unlikely event they have obtained a TBL from BMR?
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3806199)   #3116
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
-I agree on this 100%

Tho Dynamics essentially have a race prepared old car still on hand, could this be rolled out for someone in the unlikely event they have obtained a TBL from BMR?
Not another Honda.... but, yes, I too reckon these final announcements will be underwhelming. We can dream though!
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3806202)   #3117
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Indeed.

Is / wasn't Price a BMR (and subsequently A-Plan) Academy driver, who they promoted to fill the fourth car after previously being announced to run with Pyro in the Clio Cup?

It would seem to be a strange announcement to hold back for so long - unless they are waiting to see if someone else pays for the drive?
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3806203)   #3118
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Not another Honda.... but, yes, I too reckon these final announcements will be underwhelming. We can dream though!
if they do, the old Honda Cammish was running in Spain would make a good "guest" car if they do go that route

I think in an ideal world we would all want something like Jackson and AWE, but realistically we are looking at Price (who needs a bit more time in Clios IMO) and someone like Depper
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3806205)   #3119
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
if they do, the old Honda Cammish was running in Spain would make a good "guest" car if they do go that route
With Paul O'Neill or Tim Harvey driving!!
Old 6 Mar 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3806206)   #3120
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
With Paul O'Neill or Tim Harvey driving!!
Id like to think that the available and interested drivers from the last 60 years stretches back further than the ITV commentary box guys who are always at the track anyway but yes.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3806210)   #3121
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is / wasn't Price a BMR (and subsequently A-Plan) Academy driver, who they promoted to fill the fourth car after previously being announced to run with Pyro in the Clio Cup?

It would seem to be a strange announcement to hold back for so long - unless they are waiting to see if someone else pays for the drive?
He was/is, though he was recently tests TCR UK cars. What is interesting is that BMR were taking staff on to run the third car, so I think this was to run Cole, until the seat at Motorbase came up. Interesting comment from Cole I've been told was that he'd signed 'for the best team he's driven for' in the BTCC! Not sure what will happen now, Price was rumoured a while back, but don't think he has the funds for the season.

Interesting that Ash Sutton's posting they have some exciting developments, maybe they've sorted their engine supply
Old 6 Mar 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3806216)   #3122
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Where did the rumour Cole had already signed with BMR come from? was there anything solid suggesting he had signed to drive the Subaru for 2018?

I would hate to think Motorbase had been approaching him with a better drive when he had a contract in place
Old 6 Mar 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3806217)   #3123
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Where did the rumour Cole had already signed with BMR come from? was there anything solid suggesting he had signed to drive the Subaru for 2018?
The article by Matt James that said BMR were expected to run 3 cars in 2018, along with Cole having funds.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3806218)   #3124
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I think in an ideal world we would all want something like Jackson and AWE, but realistically we are looking at Price (who needs a bit more time in Clios IMO) and someone like Depper
Who would fund this so called guest car?
Old 6 Mar 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3806223)   #3125
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Who would fund this so called guest car?
No idea, its been banded around for a few pages tho its not something I'm in favour of to be honest