Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Nov 2016, 04:18 (Ref:3691628)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2018 VASC Silly Season (with POLL)

Thank you for all your years of support of Supercar Clipsal..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Nov 2016, 04:38 (Ref:3691631)   #2
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The amazing thing is that we will all call it the "Clipsal" for a few more years anyway...

Shows the benefit of long-term backing I'd say.

I can still remember Mike Raymond calling it the James Hardie 1000 more than once during the telecast of the year it became the Tooheys 1000... (1988??)
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 28 Nov 2016, 06:18 (Ref:3691642)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
The amazing thing is that we will all call it the "Clipsal" for a few more years anyway...

Shows the benefit of long-term backing I'd say.

I can still remember Mike Raymond calling it the James Hardie 1000 more than once during the telecast of the year it became the Tooheys 1000... (1988??)
agreed. See your signature, its the only one which mentions a sponsor.

The sponsor is linked so strongly to the race
Old 28 Nov 2016, 07:27 (Ref:3691651)   #4
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Thank you for all your years of support of Supercar Clipsal..
How does a facebook post prove if its true, I cant find it in any media outlets.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 07:38 (Ref:3691657)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosAmbroseFan View Post
How does a facebook post prove if its true, I cant find it in any media outlets.
It's probably embargoed until next week...
Old 28 Nov 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3691662)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Story Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Courier Mail, 28 Nov 16
Clipsal drops naming rights sponsorship for Adelaide 500 Supercars race

Sam Kelton, The Advertiser
12 minutes ago

CLIPSAL has dropped its naming rights sponsorship of the Adelaide 500 Supercars event, confirming the 2017 race will be the last to bear its name.

Clipsal by Schneider Electric has been the major sponsor of the event since 2000 but its contract expires at the end of the 2017 event.

The Advertiser understands negotiations are progress with service station chain On The Run to take over naming rights, with rumours circulating in circles involved with the Clipsal 500.

The former chief executive of the Clipsal 500, Mark Warren, who resigned in May, now works for the Peregrine Corporation, the parent company of On The Run, a South Australian company owed by the Shahin family.

A spokeswoman for On The Run — known now under its OTR branding — said the company had not been approached for any such deal.

James Courtney, the winner of race two of the Clipsal 500 in March this year.

“Should the opportunity come up we would be happy to sit down and discuss it,” she said.

Sport Minister Leon Bignell would not confirm rumours of a potential OTR takeover of sponsorship.

“The State Government looks forward to working with a new partner in the lead up to 2018 and beyond,” Mr Bignell said.

“South Australians love supercars — with this year’s event generating more than $60 million for the state’s economy.

“The State Government has appreciated the strong support of Clipsal since 2000 and we thank them for their association with the biggest domestic motor racing event in Australia.”

The sponsorship announcement comes in the wake of the abolition of the South Australian Motor Sport Board, which oversaw the event, in favour of the South Australian Tourism Commission, in 2015.

Clipsal said it was proud of its long-term relationship with The Motor Sport Group, and of a joint commitment to make the race a landmark event on the Australian motorsport calendar.

“After a long and fruitful relationship, we have made the difficult decision not to renew our naming rights sponsorship of the Clipsal 500 Adelaide," Gareth O’Reilly, ‎zone president and managing director, Pacific at Schneider Electric, said.

“This is as a result of a change to our global marketing approach — we’re currently working on new ways to connect and engage with more of our customers, which we’ll share in due course.

“We thank The Motor Sport Group for the significant role it played in connecting our brand to our customers.”

Nathan Cayzer, acting director of The Motor Sport Group, thanked Clipsal for its 18 years of support.

“We have enjoyed a strong working relationship with Clipsal by Schneider Electric since the beginning and we thank them for their support,” Mr Cayzer said.

“The event will proceed with the support of our current naming-rights sponsor in 2017, and we look forward to welcoming our new corporate partners in 2018.”
Confirmed
Old 28 Nov 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3691664)   #7
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely one of the great motorsport sponsorships.

Eighteen years is a long time for any relationship.

No downward spiral detected.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 08:47 (Ref:3691668)   #8
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peregrine Corporation, who former Adelaide 500 CEO Mark Warren is now employed by, are behind the under construction Bend Motorsport Park in Tailem Bend which reportedly has an agreement to hold a round of the series once completed. ABC News May 2015

Last edited by Jack65; 28 Nov 2016 at 08:56.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3691691)   #9
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stand by for the On The Run 500

http://www.ontherun.com.au/about-us/

but I'm still calling it Clipsal
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 3 Dec 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3693424)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Phelps today, the circus is looking at a regional Victorian street race in much the same vain as Newcastle has filled the Homebush void, in particular to replace either Sandown or Winton.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 16:09 (Ref:3693592)   #11
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
According to Phelps today, the circus is looking at a regional Victorian street race in much the same vain as Newcastle has filled the Homebush void, in particular to replace either Sandown or Winton.
Dislike. VASC people, please don't replace a circuit event with another street track. However, if looking to the future, when Sandown will probably need to be replaced full stop, then I guess a street track might have to do.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:04 (Ref:3693727)   #12
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

Confirmed
I can't remember where I read it, but I believe the last 10 year deal was signed by the Clipsal owners just before they sold the business to Schneider Electrical.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:09 (Ref:3693729)   #13
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I'd have to play devils advocate here, and say that regional Victoria is nowhere near as economically strong as some of NSW or even QLD.

Other than Geelong (which is going to be in recession due to Ford's closure), Ballarat or Bendigo spring to mind as the only likely candidates, I use the word as a term of probability only. I am not sure if either of these could support such an event, but Ballarat does have a lot of business based there, and some interesting places you could do a street track.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:13 (Ref:3693730)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mildura?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:16 (Ref:3693732)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I'd have to play devils advocate here, and say that regional Victoria is nowhere near as economically strong as some of NSW or even QLD.

Other than Geelong (which is going to be in recession due to Ford's closure), Ballarat or Bendigo spring to mind as the only likely candidates, I use the word as a term of probability only. I am not sure if either of these could support such an event, but Ballarat does have a lot of business based there, and some interesting places you could do a street track.
I dont disagree with you, But not sure anywhere in ballarat will be as picturesque as the other street circuits, maybe around lake wendouree, but that would upset a lot of people. Less than 70 motels in Ballarat too would make life difficult

Has to be Geelong and they might put it there as a balance to Ford closing, bring in the tourist dollar
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3693735)   #16
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Geelong is now unemployed heartland.

Not sure how SC and the VicGov would deal with the negative press.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:46 (Ref:3693737)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Has to be Geelong and they might put it there as a balance to Ford closing, bring in the tourist dollar
I agree that something like this is perfect to put Geelong on the map but I seriously believe it was considered and that this horse has bolted.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 03:53 (Ref:3693739)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

5 years ago, maybe 10, this would've been a great concept.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 08:13 (Ref:3693775)   #19
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely no where they could do it. There are regional races in Phillip Island and Winton anyway.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 08:15 (Ref:3693776)   #20
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I dont disagree with you, But not sure anywhere in ballarat will be as picturesque as the other street circuits, maybe around lake wendouree, but that would upset a lot of people. Less than 70 motels in Ballarat too would make life difficult

Would a Supercar race provide a better return than the Geelong Revival)?

A street race will cost a whole lot more - would it bring a whole lot more spectators?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 08:58 (Ref:3693787)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Would a Supercar race provide a better return than the Geelong Revival)?

A street race will cost a whole lot more - would it bring a whole lot more spectators?
I would expect it would bring more spectators, Typically street races have race day crowds of 40,000 plus, Even the ones that have not continued

But how good an investment it is would depend on lots of things and if there is a window where it doesn't affect other events is another question
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3693813)   #22
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would expect it would bring more spectators, Typically street races have race day crowds of 40,000 plus, Even the ones that have not continued
Sydney last weekend would have been extremely lucky to have gotten 40,000 in total for the three days!
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:23 (Ref:3693819)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Sydney last weekend would have been extremely lucky to have gotten 40,000 in total for the three days!
im doubtful of those numbers
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3693834)   #24
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
im doubtful of those numbers
I've been to every single race day of every single Sydney 500

There were not a lot of people there last weekend, smaller even than the 2012 40+ degree day race it seemed to me

You can doubt it all you like though, were you even at the event last weekend?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:09 (Ref:3693841)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I've been to every single race day of every single Sydney 500

There were not a lot of people there last weekend, smaller even than the 2012 40+ degree day race it seemed to me

You can doubt it all you like though, were you even at the event last weekend?
I wasnt there and happy to concede the crowd was small, just highly doubtful of a 15000 race day crowd