Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Mar 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3808195)   #251
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TR3 will be running a 488 GT3 for Jeff Segal & Wei Lu in Sprint X, on behalf of Ferrari of Vancouver.

Assuming this means they will indeed bring the Mancinelli car will be back after their little BOP complaint
Old 15 Mar 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3808202)   #252
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many of those TCR Civics will be sold to other teams? I just hope this doesn't become one of those, "We need a year to develop the car on track before we sell them to anyone", because I don't know about you but that has a bad track record. For example, where are all of the GT4 Camaros (the same two are in PWC and the IMSA ones went to Europe), the NSX's, the Panoz's, the Caddys and so on.

I have read that there will be a customer car but that sounds exactly like RT will have a third car to rent out to whoever is willing to pay.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3808208)   #253
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
How many of those TCR Civics will be sold to other teams? I just hope this doesn't become one of those, "We need a year to develop the car on track before we sell them to anyone", because I don't know about you but that has a bad track record. For example, where are all of the GT4 Camaros (the same two are in PWC and the IMSA ones went to Europe), the NSX's, the Panoz's, the Caddys and so on.

I have read that there will be a customer car but that sounds exactly like RT will have a third car to rent out to whoever is willing to pay.
AFAIK anyone can buy an Acura NSX and RealTime still have one of their cars from last year that they are willing to run with the necessary funding in place! I'm not sure if the Camaro or Avezzano are available for a customer to buy however.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 20:03 (Ref:3808216)   #254
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Keep in mind that Peter Cunningham is one of the stakeholders in the series, Also Cadillac brought a lot more to the series than just two cars. They were also a major sponsor that provided safety vehicles and a lot of trackside promotion. I still don't buy the narrative that PWC actively chose to end these manufacturers involvement in the series. The recent talk of being a more privateer friendly series appears to me to be simply trying to cope with the situation. Incidentally I can't find anything in the PWC rulebook officially banning full factory programs.
http://files.world-challenge.com/rul...egulations.pdf
Not sure why you're bringing up those two examples. The Nissan factory program ended quite some time ago, at about the same time that Ed Brown returned to IMSA with a couple of Ligier LMP2s decorated so that they sort of look like a hideous mutation of a Nissan GT-R . The Bentley program was just scaled back a little and still continues with K-Pax.
Agreed.

While that is part of the problem, it's interesting to note that most of the growth in GTS has come from new teams or TC class teams moving up. There are only a few entries that came at the expense of a GT program.
I know for a fact that the series told Caddy and RealTime they cannot run as factory programs..these discussions with the factory teams started during the 2016 season. The series is not reacting here, they feel they are being proactive for the benefit of the category. I disagree with them, but that's what's going on.

I brought up the Dyson and Nissan teams to just mention that they too were factory teams and would not be able to to run as factory teams today like they did in 2016. The Bentley program was scaled back a lot after 2015, which is why Dyson stopped running the cars.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3808217)   #255
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

JAS hasn't built too many of the Type R TCRs yet so there is actually limited availability at this point. I bet if other teams wanted to run the car later in the season they will be allowed to purchase them and run them in PWC.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3808224)   #256
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really strange that both factory and factory supported teams aren't allowed anymore. In the GT3 scene that makes it quite impossible nowadays.

I can understand that the factory Cadillac team wasn't really allowed anymore. But the Always Evolving Nissans, RTR Acura, Absolute Bentleys, Magnus Audi, Wright Porsche entries should i think be more than good to be allowed.

So for me it became quite unclear what is allowed now and what is not, also because it seems there is kinda factory involvement still here that doesn't look different to teams that were there last year, but aren't allowed anymore.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3808232)   #257
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post
Really strange that both factory and factory supported teams aren't allowed anymore. In the GT3 scene that makes it quite impossible nowadays.

I can understand that the factory Cadillac team wasn't really allowed anymore. But the Always Evolving Nissans, RTR Acura, Absolute Bentleys, Magnus Audi, Wright Porsche entries should i think be more than good to be allowed.

So for me it became quite unclear what is allowed now and what is not, also because it seems there is kinda factory involvement still here that doesn't look different to teams that were there last year, but aren't allowed anymore.
The two factories who were involved in PWC last year with "factory supported teams" were Cadillac and Acura. 1) Always Evolving, 2) Absolute, 3)Magnus and 4) Wright could still be involved but 1) has pulled out and not entered another series, 2) has committed to running in Asia only and the Bentleys are now run by K-PAX, 3) is now back in IMSA, and 4) has also gone to IMSA.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3808235)   #258
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you determine what is a factory team and what is not?
Old 15 Mar 2018, 21:58 (Ref:3808237)   #259
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
How do you determine what is a factory team and what is not?
I'm sure the PWC heads have an exact definition internally, but I'm sure it stems from who owns the car(s).
Old 15 Mar 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3808239)   #260
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:

Customer teams will still get an engineer and sometimes driver from the factory, but the team is funded by the customer team. It gets odd when you have, for example, Porsche Consulting sponsoring Wright.

Like driver ratings it's extremely messy and confusing.

As long as BoP is in place, why not allow full-on factory efforts race?
Old 15 Mar 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3808242)   #261
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Customer teams will still get an engineer and sometimes driver from the factory, but the team is funded by the customer team. It gets odd when you have, for example, Porsche Consulting sponsoring Wright.
And also last year "Audi Tire Center" was on the side of both the Magnus Audis, and also in 2016 when they ran in IMSA!
Old 15 Mar 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3808245)   #262
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
And also last year "Audi Tire Center" was on the side of both the Magnus Audis, and also in 2016 when they ran in IMSA!
Exactly
Old 15 Mar 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3808246)   #263
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
I'm sure the PWC heads have an exact definition internally, but I'm sure it stems from who owns the car(s).
How do you determine who owns the car? How does PWC determine it? For example I could form Nasportscar llc here in PA and buy the car for $1 and then lease it to V-Pack, LLC for $1 per event who subleases it to Joeblow, LLC.

Last edited by jjvincent; 15 Mar 2018 at 22:31.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3808251)   #264
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
How do you determine who owns the car? How does PWC determine it? For example I could form Nasportscar llc here in PA and buy the car for $1 and then lease it to V-Pack, LLC for $1 per event who subleases it to Joeblow, LLC.
Usually when a sale happens there are some signatures on a piece of paper. I'm sure they could ask for that
Old 16 Mar 2018, 04:54 (Ref:3808279)   #265
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
More GTS SprintX and TC entries:

http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/148080...ring-car-entry
Old 16 Mar 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3808379)   #266
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Usually when a sale happens there are some signatures on a piece of paper. I'm sure they could ask for that
I've bought plenty of racecars and I can make any bill of sale you want. I could sell it to my dog if I really wanted. It's not like a street car where you have a title.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3808390)   #267
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
I've bought plenty of racecars and I can make any bill of sale you want. I could sell it to my dog if I really wanted. It's not like a street car where you have a title.
Neat. If you're curious, I would ask PWC how they determine the factory efforts from the privateers
Old 16 Mar 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3808414)   #268
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
Five manufacturers are set to debut in the new TCR Class at CoTA:

http://world-challenge.com/latest/se...a-march-23-25/

One correction in the story is that the Audi entries are RS3s, NOT RS2s, of course!

Last edited by cbbrit; 16 Mar 2018 at 18:37.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3808572)   #269
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
The entry list for CoTA is now out: (I know a new thread will now be started!)

http://files.world-challenge.com/eve...-EntryList.pdf
Old 17 Mar 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3808590)   #270
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

That's a pretty good entry.
GT/GTC race has 18 cars, GTS race has 38!?
TCR with 14, TC 16 and TCA 14. Those are pretty decent numbers.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3808605)   #271
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Race thread has now been started!
Old 21 Mar 2018, 08:16 (Ref:3809552)   #272
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
I was thinking. What about a part of PWC GT classes become an off season championship.

F.e.
- The PWC GT championship returns in the normal-style GT Sprint format with around 7-8 events. Events take place from March to September at places like St.Pete, Long Beach, etc.
- The off-season PWC GT championship is the SprintX/Endurance format. Starting in October and ends in February. It starts with the Laguna Seca round with the 8 hours event (GT4 machinary could just race the first few hours), and the seasons ends in February with an event at f.e. CotA.

In this case the normal GT championship reduces costs by less events and not need to transport pit equipment, and in that case could be more attractive. Next to that they could run more with IndyCar events which also makes it more attractive.

As far as I know there isn't currently an off-season championship in North America, and therefore could be interesting. Next to that IMSA teams and teams from Europe could enter in the off-season and do more racing. In that case IMSA could decide to reduce the rounds of GTD a bit. Next to that it would be easier for European teams to combine it with for example the Rolex 24.

I think in the end this would be a win-win situation for PWC, IMSA, IGTC, the teams, the costs, etc.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3809593)   #273
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I was thinking. What about a part of PWC GT classes become an off season championship.

F.e.
- The PWC GT championship returns in the normal-style GT Sprint format with around 7-8 events. Events take place from March to September at places like St.Pete, Long Beach, etc.
- The off-season PWC GT championship is the SprintX/Endurance format. Starting in October and ends in February. It starts with the Laguna Seca round with the 8 hours event (GT4 machinary could just race the first few hours), and the seasons ends in February with an event at f.e. CotA.

In this case the normal GT championship reduces costs by less events and not need to transport pit equipment, and in that case could be more attractive. Next to that they could run more with IndyCar events which also makes it more attractive.

As far as I know there isn't currently an off-season championship in North America, and therefore could be interesting. Next to that IMSA teams and teams from Europe could enter in the off-season and do more racing. In that case IMSA could decide to reduce the rounds of GTD a bit. Next to that it would be easier for European teams to combine it with for example the Rolex 24.

I think in the end this would be a win-win situation for PWC, IMSA, IGTC, the teams, the costs, etc.
There are very few places in the US (and none in Canada) were having an off-season race is really very appealing. It's winter. It's cold out. Even Austin in February isn't that great.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3809606)   #274
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
There are very few places in the US (and none in Canada) were having an off-season race is really very appealing. It's winter. It's cold out. Even Austin in February isn't that great.
Not sure the time of year is the problem for PWC.

Its also funny how Sprint X has the bigger grid of GT3's/GT Cups...

Would suggest there is little wrong with that format for participants.

I think the main thing that would help PWC is pick one concept or the other.

Alternatively, run as a fully Sprint or Sprint X format, but have 2 or so endurance races, including the California 8h (as a non points scoring round)
Old 21 Mar 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3809662)   #275
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Some thoughts again... they should give Bryan Heitkotter a chance in Sprint X as co-driver in a GT3