Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Nov 2017, 03:34 (Ref:3783349)   #76
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No idea. They don't seem to have an issue in Blancpain Sprint or ADAC GT Masters

Last edited by nasportscar; 27 Nov 2017 at 03:40.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3783489)   #77
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't imagine any team wanted to see a 4 tire change and optional refueling. Sprint X is lame as it is and this just makes it worse.

Before you start with, "That's what they do in Europe", I want you to go do a season in Europe and then in the US. You'll find that you'll be racking up about 10X the amount of distance traveled from race to race in the US. Multiply that distance by the number of crew. Then add into that, the truck. This doesn't count that everywhere you race in Europe is like CoTA. You have a nifty garage and don't need to set up the massive awning, 3X the amount of pit equipment and all of that stuff which is related. Guess what, that takes people to set up and tear down.

If you ran the ELMS, your total travel for the season will total the distance for the first three IMSA races. Run the ADAC Masters series, that travel area is half the size of Texas or equivalent to the geographical area of the SCCA NE region which is run by SCCA Club racers.

I know what will happen. Teams will start with 35 minutes of fuel and put in the remaining 25 minutes during the stop. They just want a lighter fuel load. That makes the tire thing confusing because lighter fuel load equates to less tire degradation. In the end, if you have two Sprint X races, you will need four sets of tires as opposed to two. Add into that the new two sets that you'll be using for practice. So, six sets of tires for 120 minutes of racing and 60-80 minutes of practice/qualifying or a total of 180-200 minutes of total track time. Tires for a GT car are around ($2700-2800/set). So, a $16K tire bill for three hours of track time. Good news for Pirelli. Then you need extra guys suited up for dumping in 25 minutes of fuel.

This is called nickel and diming the teams. A litter here and a little there. In the end, it adds up when you do it season after season.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3783507)   #78
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am perfectly fine w/ the series running SprintX, but like you said, it needs to be simplified. I still also feel the series needs to just pick one or other - Sprint or SprintX. Not both.

Also for your point about running in Europe, aren't the tires per set a little cheaper over there as well? I've heard that point from a few teams
Old 27 Nov 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3783561)   #79
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think PWC should stick with 50 minute races and ditch Sprint-X. Problem with Sprint-X is it's an in between to IMSA and honestly, you don't need that. What you do is you make a discernible difference between the two, thus each one can survive on their own as opposed to trying to sort of compete. As everyone here knows, we've been through this before and it just doesn't work. Make every weekend a twin 50 minute for GT, GTS, TCR, TC and TCA. Forget the GTCup because that's a joke due as you can already run sprint races in their respectable series' that already exist. Again, stop trying to compete.

PWC could literally do six races per event (2X GT, 2XGTS, 2X TC's). I don't see what is so hard about that. You get 100 minutes of racing and about 100 minutes of practice/qualifying per class. Don't need a big crew and don't need to burn through lots of consumables. That way, the price differential between IMSA and PWC is great enough that it attracts both groups of spenders. Both complement each other and like in the past could even share weekends.

You can literally run any GTS and TC class with 3 crew guys and one driver per car. Three sets of stickers and not alot of fuel and probably one set of pads. GT would be 4 crew and one driver per car. That reduces the cost, doesn't overwork the crew and allows for a great show for each event. We keep getting more and more GT3, GT4 and TC type cars being produced yet we don't see that type of increase in the fields. There are plenty of cars out there just sitting but when you keep gouging the teams for frivolous ideas and no consistency, you see why there's such a change from year to year as opposed to the same teams showing up year after year or new ones that buy a 4 year old GT3 car (i.e. GT3 Z4) and run it.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3783566)   #80
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Sprint X should be renamed Sh*t X.

-mike
Old 27 Nov 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3783570)   #81
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
I think PWC should stick with 50 minute races and ditch Sprint-X. Problem with Sprint-X is it's an in between to IMSA and honestly, you don't need that. What you do is you make a discernible difference between the two, thus each one can survive on their own as opposed to trying to sort of compete. As everyone here knows, we've been through this before and it just doesn't work. Make every weekend a twin 50 minute for GT, GTS, TCR, TC and TCA. Forget the GTCup because that's a joke due as you can already run sprint races in their respectable series' that already exist. Again, stop trying to compete.

PWC could literally do six races per event (2X GT, 2XGTS, 2X TC's). I don't see what is so hard about that. You get 100 minutes of racing and about 100 minutes of practice/qualifying per class. Don't need a big crew and don't need to burn through lots of consumables. That way, the price differential between IMSA and PWC is great enough that it attracts both groups of spenders. Both complement each other and like in the past could even share weekends.

You can literally run any GTS and TC class with 3 crew guys and one driver per car. Three sets of stickers and not alot of fuel and probably one set of pads. GT would be 4 crew and one driver per car. That reduces the cost, doesn't overwork the crew and allows for a great show for each event. We keep getting more and more GT3, GT4 and TC type cars being produced yet we don't see that type of increase in the fields. There are plenty of cars out there just sitting but when you keep gouging the teams for frivolous ideas and no consistency, you see why there's such a change from year to year as opposed to the same teams showing up year after year or new ones that buy a 4 year old GT3 car (i.e. GT3 Z4) and run it.
I don't think anyone would have any arguments for this proposal.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3783705)   #82
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This series is amusing.

Cool to see the Callaway cars coming over, but shame I won't be able to watch any of the races thanks to their **** media deal. Hope running here won't affect their ADAC GT program though, seeing as I can actually watch those races.. Funny, I can watch a German series easy enough but can't watch a domestic series because apparently no one even cares enough to upload them "unofficially."
Old 28 Nov 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3783779)   #83
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
This series is amusing.

Cool to see the Callaway cars coming over, but shame I won't be able to watch any of the races thanks to their **** media deal. Hope running here won't affect their ADAC GT program though, seeing as I can actually watch those races.. Funny, I can watch a German series easy enough but can't watch a domestic series because apparently no one even cares enough to upload them "unofficially."
Here's the reason why the media deal is a mess. It's run by old guys that are still stuck in the days of "It has to be on TV!" or "Only stream a certain convoluted method". In the end, nobody watches it. A week delay is no good because we are beyond the "Spoiler Alert!" days.

I know nobody has ever watched or heard of the Creventic series but they ran a 24hr race at COTA a few weeks ago. What did they do? Well they broadcast all 24 hours of the race with actual pit reporters. To view this series, all you have to do is go to the home page and it's right there. Plus they do it for all of their races. For some odd reason, they can do that without a problem yet PWC made it almost impossible to watch their 8hr race a few weeks before that. The Daytona 24 isn't much better.

There was a major announcement that PWC had the GT cars in some video game and how this was a great marketing tool. Guess what, it was a waste of time and a disaster. Video game players don't watch TV. They stream and it better be free. So, you get them all excited and then there's a big "Do Not Enter" sign when they would like to see the actual cars in action. This is to show how old the PR and media people are in racing here in the US (IMSA included). They ignore any of the younger crowd and thus, they are not interested and go elsewhere. Thus, you get 45+ year olds that show up at the track and the majority of them are over 60.

The part that really makes no sense is that the Creventic series is for the racers, yet it's the easiest for anyone on the planet to watch and a darn good broadcast.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3783780)   #84
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
This series is amusing.

The streaming stuff is supposed to be better/fixed for 2018. We'll see
Old 29 Nov 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3783967)   #85
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
The streaming stuff is supposed to be better/fixed for 2018. We'll see
"Fixed" as in not exclusively on MToD?

Seeing as I can't watch them in the first place I wouldn't really know about any other technical problems if they were having any.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3784011)   #86
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd be fine with MToD if it worked. But it doesn't, so I don't bother.

MToD spent more time crashing than anything else. They use an outdated version of flash (everyone else has moved to HTML5 Video), so it struggles on most browsers and doesn't work at all on most smart tvs, games consoles and phones.

From a fan point of view, there's no advantage of it over YouTube. I understand they want a paid streaming deal and paid TV, but I can watch lots of other GT3 series for free, and easier - so I'll just use those.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 14:02 (Ref:3784038)   #87
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
"Fixed" as in not exclusively on MToD?

Seeing as I can't watch them in the first place I wouldn't really know about any other technical problems if they were having any.
Don't worry, even if you could watch it, there's going to be those few GT races that will not be streamed and you'll figure it out after 10 minutes have elapsed in the actual race. At that point you will give up and wait for the story to come out online and you'll get the rundown of what happened anyway. In the end, whatever news site gets the money from your click and PWC gets lower ratings. No need to watch the race at all. Think of it like a fantasy league. No need to ever watch an event, just look at the results and stats.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 02:07 (Ref:3784207)   #88
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This series is amusing.

Haven't you seen the 2018 schedule yet? They're racing at PIR next year! Surely living in Oregon you'll be able to go to that one at least!
Old 30 Nov 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3784351)   #89
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like GTS will be getting at least one Mustang GT4: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcFm2JCF...ebuford_racing
Old 1 Dec 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3784531)   #90
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I don't think the updated schedule for 2018 has been posted here yet, here it is:

2018 Pirelli World Challenge Schedule

Date Track City Classes
MAR 9-11 Streets of St. Petersburg St. Petersburg, Fla. GT Sprint and GTS
MAR 23-25 Circuit Of The Americas (COTA) Austin, Texas GT SprintX, GTS and Touring Car
APR 13-15 Streets of Long Beach Long Beach, Calif GT Sprint
APR 27-29 VIRginia International Raceway Alton, Va. GT SprintX, GTS and Touring Car
MAY 18-20 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park Bowmanville, Ont., CAN GT Sprint and GTS
MAY 25-26, 28 Lime Rock Park Lakeville, Conn. GT SprintX, GTS and Touring Car
JUN 22-24 Road America Elkhart Lake, Wis. GT Sprint and GTS
JUL 13-15 Portland International Raceway Portland, Ore. GT SprintX, GTS and Touring Car
AUG 10-12 Utah Motorsports Campus Grantsville, Utah GT SprintX, GTS and Touring Car
AUG 31 – SEP 2 Watkins Glen International Watkins Glen, N.Y. GT Sprint, GTS and Touring Car
SPECIAL EVENT
October 26-28 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Salinas, Calif. SRO Intercontinental GT Challenge
Old 6 Dec 2017, 05:02 (Ref:3785366)   #91
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Good news coming to week at PRI. Very good news coming tomorrow and 8:00am and 10:00am I believe
Old 6 Dec 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3785443)   #92
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EDIT wrong thread.
Old 6 Dec 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3785458)   #93
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
GTS news: Robinson Racing moving from TA2 to GTS w/ Mercedes http://nasportscar.com/robinson-raci...with-mercedes/
Old 6 Dec 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3785459)   #94
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PWC Entry List 2018

GT3

GMG Motorsport - Porsche 911 GT3 R - TBA
Callaway Competition - Callaway Corvette C7 GT3-R - TBA
Callaway Competition - Callaway Corvette C7 GT3-R - TBA
TKO Motorsports - Porsche 911 GT3 R - TBA

GT4

Racers Edge Motorsports - SIN R1 GT4 - Harry Gottsacker
Racers Edge Motorsports - SIN R1 GT4 - TBA
Team Panoz Racing - Panoz Avezzano GT4 - Preston Calvert
Team Panoz Racing - Panoz Avezzano GT4 - Ian James
Turner Motorsport - BMW M4 GT4 - TBA
Turner Motorsport - BMW M4 GT4 - TBA
GMG Motorsport - Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport - TBA
Samantha Tan Racing - BMW M4 GT4 - TBA (SPRINT X ONLY)
Samantha Tan Racing - BMW M4 GT4 - TBA (SPRINT X ONLY)
Precision Driving - BMW M4 GT4 - TBA
Robinson Racing - Mercedes AMG GT4 - Gar Robinson
Robinson Racing - Mercedes AMG GT4 - Shane Lewis
PF Racing - Ford Mustang GT4 - Jade Buford
ANSA Motorsports - KTM X BOW GT4 - TBA
ANSA Motorsports - KTM X BOW GT4 - TBA

TCR

BAM! - Alfa Romeo Guillietta TCR - Tim Munday
BAM! - Alfa Romeo Guillietta TCR - TBA

New announcements for a pair of Robinson AMG GT4's, and TKO Motorsports (may be Sprint X only)
Old 6 Dec 2017, 16:02 (Ref:3785460)   #95
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KPAX to Bentley: http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...tley-for-2018/
Old 6 Dec 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3785462)   #96
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
This is what the "TBD" was for and quick mention in my Nov. 13th PWC entry list tracker. Awesome news
Old 6 Dec 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3785465)   #97
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the GT3 list will continue to grow more.
Any news who might takeover the McLarens?
Old 7 Dec 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3785668)   #98
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Callaway Competition will be revealing their car and full season drivers in a few minutes. They'll be streaming it on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CallawayCompetitionUSA/
Old 7 Dec 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3785672)   #99
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Daniel Keilwitz and Michael Cooper will be driving the Callaways.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3785684)   #100
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Daniel Keilwitz and Michael Cooper will be driving the Callaways.

Curious to see how Keilwitz fares, he's been a force in those Callaways in ADAC GT, hope he can really challenge the front in PWC.

Can't say I'm too fussed on Cooper, he seems a solid peddler but I can't think of any stand or drives in the last year from him. I honestly think Keilwitz will show him up a little on raw pace, but Cooper will offer consistency