Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Does Jos warrant being labelled 'The Boss' by his "countless" fans'?
Yeah, yeah, for sure. 13 33.33%
No, honestly. 26 66.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:01 (Ref:633318)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jos the boss - PAH!

No particular reason for this thread, just a poo stirrer really. Should Jos Verstappen be in F1. He is useless. He is not "the boss" at all. He proved his ineptitude in 1994. 'Nuff said........
Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:06 (Ref:633321)   #2
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he's probably a better driver than first appears, but, alas, I think that his time to really show it (in F1 at least) has passed. I wouldn't call him 'The Boss' (that's Bernie, surely!!), but then I wouldn't call him useless either.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:37 (Ref:633356)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Does he deserve the title of "the boss"....no way Pedro. IMO he's never been anything special.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 19:56 (Ref:633385)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's probably the least talented driver on the grid this year. On a positive not, he does seem to have matured and is generally keeping his nose clean. As long as he keeps it that way, I've got no probs if he wants to roll around at the back every weekend, someone's got to do it afterall. Jos is just doing what most non-dutch people expect from him - nothing.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:02 (Ref:633397)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Steve Nielsen hears all this there'll be BIG trouble.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:05 (Ref:633400)   #6
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos and I share our nationality, but no, I'm not a fan.

In my view he is entirely overrated. I'll admit he has shone on occassion, but that is all far to incidental to justify the nicknam 'The Boss'.

But it rhymes, and the Dutch aren't creative or F1-connaisseurs, so, there you go.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:17 (Ref:633420)   #7
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watch out..Here comes Steve..
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:45 (Ref:633449)   #8
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the first fanclub members came up with that name when Jos was in German F3, and he really was the boss there.

they wanted something other than "flying dutchman" , so they thought of something that rimed.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:47 (Ref:633452)   #9
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
the first fanclub members came up with that name when Jos was in German F3, and he really was the boss there.
Indeed. He really made Sascha Maassen and Claudia Hurtgen look damn silly
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:56 (Ref:633464)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
indeed, 8 wins and 6 other podium finishes in 20 races.

he also won the marlboro masters with some well known names:

1. Jos Verstappen (NL) 35 laps in 36:16.649
2. Paolo Coloni (I) + 2.559
3. Michael Krumm (Ger) + 2.862
4. Roberto Colciago (I) + 6.759
5. Marc Goossens (B) + 7.407
6. Max Angelelli (I) + 8.941
7. G. Pacchioni (I) + 14.149
8. Sascha Maassen (Ger) + 17.297
9. Pedro De La Rosa (E) + 19.395
10. Fabrizio De Simone (I) + 40.132
11. Marco Werner (Ger) + 40.670
12. Alberto Pedemonte (I) + 40.947
13. Emmanuel Clerico (F) + 41.743
14. Philipp Peter (A) + 49.108
15. Peter Kox (NL) + 49.426
16. Alexander Grau (Ger) + 49.594
17. Alexander Wurz (A) + 50.190
18. Markus Liesner (USA) + 1:02.553
19. Gareth Rees (GB) + 1:03.424
20. Tom Coronel (NL) + 1:03.647
21. Javier Balzano (RA) + 1:13.839
22. Cristophe Tinseau (F) + 1:24.619
23. Flavio Figueiredo (BR) - 3 laps
24. Cristian Psecatori (I) - 4 laps
25. Michael Graf (Ger) - 5 laps
26. Marcos Gueiros (BR) - 8 laps
27. Luca Rangoni (I) - 15 laps
28. Christian Abt (Ger) - 20 laps
29. Joerg Mueller (Ger) - 23 laps
30. Davide Campana (I) - 27 laps
31. Andre Ribeiro (BR) - 32 laps
32. Olivier Gavin (GB) - 33 laps
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:58 (Ref:633468)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well known names maybe, but not necessarily any good.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 20:59 (Ref:633471)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bah, not a Belgian in sight...

Oh, didn't see Goossens!
Nice.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 16 Jun 2003 at 21:00.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:04 (Ref:633480)   #13
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
in al the years I went to the masters I saw some very well known drivers fail there, like Jan Magnussen who got himself beached, Jarno Trulli who managed to spin into the tyres and lose his rearwing in the warmup, the first winner there was actualy DC BTW.........
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:05 (Ref:633483)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Da Cube??
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:08 (Ref:633487)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

But Jos has underachieved in F1 hasn't he? SERIOUSLY underachieved. Unless he really is just talentless.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:11 (Ref:633492)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Watch out..Here comes Steve..
How did you know? You made me quite scared!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:13 (Ref:633496)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

Sadly, Jos has indeed underachieved (with a few exceptions).

I expected a lot more from him.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:14 (Ref:633497)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Jos and Michael:incomparable.

This picture disturbs me somewhat....
Attached Thumbnails
jos.jpg  

Last edited by Knowlesy; 16 Jun 2003 at 21:15.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 21:25 (Ref:633519)   #19
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Yes, in 1991 David Coulthard won the Marlboro Masters at Zandvoort.

some interesting names from the archives:

1991:

David Coulthard
Rubens Barichello
Luca Badoer
Christophe Bouchut

1992:

Pedro Lamy
Gil de Ferran
Pedro Diniz
Joerg Mueller
Jules Bouillon

1993:

Jos Verstappen
Pedro de la Rosa
Alex Wurz
Andrei Ribeiro

1994:

Norberto Fontana
Giancarlo Fisichella
Dario Franchitti
Jan Magnussen
Ralf Schumacher
Ricardo Rosset

1995:

Helio Castro Neves
Ralph Firman
Gaston Mazzacane
Cristiano Da Matta

1996:

Nick Heidfeld
Juan Pablo Montoya
Jarno Trulli

1997:

Mark Webber
Nicolas Minassian
Enrique Bernoldi

1998:

Luciano Burti
Sebastian Bourdais

1999:

Jenson Button
Toby Scheckter

2000:

Tomas Scheckter
Takuma Sato
Antonio Pizzonia

2001:

Anthony Davidson
Ryo Fukuda
Ryan Briscoe
Markus Winkelhock
Old 17 Jun 2003, 00:09 (Ref:633665)   #20
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos is not bad, he is good enough to deserve his place in Formula 1. You've got to remember he's never had a really good car. That said I'm not a Jos-worshipper, but I don't dislike him. It's hard to impress in a Stewert, Arrows, or Minardi...
Old 17 Jun 2003, 05:15 (Ref:633754)   #21
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Jos is not bad, he is good enough to deserve his place in Formula 1. You've got to remember he's never had a really good car. That said I'm not a Jos-worshipper, but I don't dislike him. It's hard to impress in a Stewert, Arrows, or Minardi...
and that is the way it is, there were only a few times where Jos could impress with the car that he had:

At his first F1 test in 93 he set a time in the Footwork of 1.14.450 at Estoril while Derick Warwick had qualified the car 9th with a time of 1.14.388 a few days earlier. Aguri Suzuki set a time of 1.15.491 in that qualifying session. That test earned him a test in the Mclaren where he was matching Mika Hakkinens times.(mclaren also wanted him as testdriver for 94, but Jos chose Benetton)

in 94 when hehad very litle experience,still he scored 2 podiums and 10 points in 10 races(could have been more if the pitfire in Hockenheim had'nt happened and if the team had not been disqualified in Silverstone)

in the beginning of 1998 when he was testing for Benetton and was matching Fisichella's times and in 1999 when he was testing for Honda and was setting times faster than any other driver.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 06:48 (Ref:633801)   #22
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Jos is not bad, he is good enough to deserve his place in Formula 1. You've got to remember he's never had a really good car.
History shows that truly talented driver have no problem with proving a point in a bad car. Fisichella, Trulli, Alonso, proved their worth in a Minardi. De Ferrari F92A was a very bad car, yet Alesi´s speed was never doubted.

In 1994, Flavio ruled after 10 races that Jos wasn´t up to it. Because of inexperience one is led to believe. I don´t see how you can call 10 raceweekends, combined with the necessary testing, a lack of experience. I suppose the 1994 Benetton wasn´t that easy to drive, but these are pro´s. It was a shame for Jos that Herbert scored when he had to, but if Jos truly was the boss, he wasn´t replaced in the first place, or dependant on other drivers for his Benettonseat. Besides in 2000, Flavio ruled after 10 races that he wanted Button aboard for 2001. So, apparently it depends on the driver whether or not 10 races can be considerd too little experience to take him on for the next year. Benetton never felt the need to take him back. In 2000 Jos was well-experienced, yet they went for Button.

I´ll admit to Jos having had some bad luck in key-moments, but drivers who truly deliver, aren´t reliant on luck or lack of it. Jos is.

He shines on occassion, but those occassion occure far too little to justify his nickname.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 06:57 (Ref:633810)   #23
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen

in 94 when hehad very litle experience,still he scored 2 podiums and 10 points in 10 races(could have been more if the pitfire in Hockenheim had'nt happened and if the team had not been disqualified in Silverstone)

in the beginning of 1998 when he was testing for Benetton and was matching Fisichella's times and in 1999 when he was testing for Honda and was setting times faster than any other driver.
two podiums?

Yes, the Hungary one. He was a well over a lap behind teammate Schumacher. Schumacher allowed Jos to unlap himself. In the final lap, Martin Brundles McLaren came to a halt, promoting Jos to third place. If the McLaren held together and Schumacher didn´t allow Jos past, than there was no podium for Jos. That podium wasn´t down on drivermerit. The second one was a third place, not a podium. He got it after the race when Schumacher was disqualified. A third place and a podium place are not the same.

The pitfire at Hockenheim was his blessing in disguise. If it hadn´t happened, he would have gotten the boot than and there. Flavio wasn´t too pleased about Jos crashing his own car, later on Michaels car. The pitfire and the fuelrig-drama kept Jos in his seat.

Whatabout those Honda-times? Remember the times BAR were setting in the winter of 1998/1999. Remember how much points they eventually got during the 1999 season? Besides, what other Honda-drivers were there? Sinchi Nakano? Mika Salo was contracted but never drove the car. He had other business to attend to.

The Benetton-test in 1998 never led to Benettons descision to take on Jos (again). Not even as a testdriver. During that test, Jos vowed never to drive for a backmarker team again. Well....
Old 17 Jun 2003, 07:02 (Ref:633816)   #24
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Yes, 2 podiums, a 3rd place in Belgium after TGF was disqualified. and Jos would'nt have gotten the boot if the pitfire had'nt happened, he probably would have scored a 2nd place for Benetton that race.

and : Jos WAS the Benetton testdriver in 98, but he gave up the position when he joined Stewart.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 07:41 (Ref:633845)   #25
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
History shows that truly talented driver have no problem with proving a point in a bad car. Fisichella, Trulli, Alonso, proved their worth in a Minardi. De Ferrari F92A was a very bad car, yet Alesi´s speed was never doubted.

Did'nt Jos drive a Simtek in 6th place at the 95 Argentinian GP??

Did'nt Jos set the fastes lap with an Arrows Hart in 96 in the rain in Brazil(wich was'nt improved until the track dried)?

did'nt Jos score a 6th place at the Argentinian GP in 96 after outbraking DC's Mclaren?

did'nt Jos manage to drive in 2nd place in an Arrows Asiatech twice??
Closed Thread