Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Jan 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1505812)   #1
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flagging

Often during my first season it occurred to me how much I might enjoy being a flag marshal at meetings. Having always been something of a clumsy and impractical individual, the idea of having to read a race was more appealing to me than the idea of falling over tyre walls to deal with incidents. But in a strange kind of way, being what some might describe as ‘young, fit and healthy’ (or one of those three at least ), I feel a strange kind of obligation to learn to deal with incidents, so that in some way I might be considered ‘more use’.

I suspect most of you will simply say that marshalling is voluntary and I should do what I want to do, but I’ll ask anyway: thoughts/ideas??
Old 21 Jan 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1505826)   #2
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your second paragragh says it all! Whatever floats yer boat! I would suggest however that stay on the bank for as long as possible as you need some kind of sixth sense almost when flagging to understand what the "front line troops" are going to do. I became a flag marshal for much the same reasons as yourself, except I was fast running out of times to use the word "young"! Also, if you have aspirations of reaching the dizzy hieghts of "Observer", then just sticking to flagging could hamper your progress. I didn't go via the IO route and it caused many complications. I like flagging because you feel involved in proceedings and helped concentration. Plus you can eat pork pies at virtualy any time!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1505832)   #3
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a flag training day at Oulton, on 4 February, why not come along for the training, meet everyone especially the flag mentors and generally dip your toe in the water.

Once you have either your green or grey badge you can go flagging - if you want to.

Old 21 Jan 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1505857)   #4
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the man says, "whatever rings your bell". I've been marshaling for about 15 years now but never got (or wanted to get) past "fire marshal". There again, age is taking it's toll on the bones and when you do enjoy a good breakfast trying to jump a tyre wall can get a little strenuous! Mmmmm, must look into flagging...........
Old 21 Jan 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1505862)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My advice would be to take Stoowerts advice and get a little more experience with incident marshalling first. By all means talk with the flag marshals and ask them to let you have a go.
As an Observer, I would encourage everyone to have a go - whether you're a trainee or not - to see whether "It's for you".
The future of marshalling IMHO means Multi-tasking, so if you have an idea of what each others duty involves, it may put you in good stead when you're called upon to undertake a duty different to your normal one!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1505879)   #6
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must take up my friend "Stoowert" comments that flag marshalling can hold you back if you upgrade to 'Observer'.
Many Flag Marshals have been MY eyes and ears on the Post when I have had to duck into a tin box to telephone incidents, and write up the report; especially when it is tipping down with that wet stuff; (it does sometimes!!).
Good flaggies have come back to me with "did you see???".
As long as they are willing, which most are; to put their name down on the Obs report, then it can be submitted.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1505889)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good point Archaic Gold!

Why do some flaggies though seem reluctant to sign an Observers report!
There seems to be this stigma that by doing so you will end up in race control and not get home till 9pm.

9/10 it doesn't happen and in all honesty, there's absolutely nothing to stop anyone refusing to stay behind - unless there's been a fatality perhaps and the law becomes involved.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1505890)   #8
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thoroughly enjoy being a flag marshal. Even got my own set of flags - so that says something!

But always ready to do what ever is need and that's part of the fun of marshaling. At my home circuit found that if you are adaptable and helpful it does get remembered.

Even though been a flaggie for two years still learning my trade, especially that pesky blue. Marshalling should be about what we enjoy so go for it.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1505907)   #9
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
The future of marshalling IMHO means Multi-tasking, so if you have an idea of what each others duty involves, it may put you in good stead when you're called upon to undertake a duty different to your normal one!
That's exactly why i'm doing both Sat and Sun training, one for Flags the other Incident. It hasn't happened yet, but i'm sure it won't be long before the knowledge will be required at a meeting and i'd prefer to be even just a little prepared. I think doing a little of everything at least once is a good idea, and that way you can better decide what discipline you really enjoy. Everyone should also work the pitlane at least once IMHO, it's great fun at Oulton @ the Gold Cup!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1505958)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Technically I still class as "youth" - so I'm the energetic one who had to sweep the track between every session

However, I did find that I was every now and again being given a set of flags and asked to wave them at appropriate moments. As a result, I decided I may as well train properly, and now have my flag grade. But I still frequently do incident work, I am upgrading to be a red badge, so am doing both. It's all about this multi-tasking malarky I suppose. By that same token, on my flag training was also a quick seminar on "An introduction to observing". I've got no aspirations to become an observer any time soon (my glasses aren't so strong I need a guide dog yet ), but at least now when I'm given a report pad and a radio I know roughly what I'm meant to be doing. Anyway, that's going off topic...

I'm generally going to agree with what's been said so far: Turn up to a flag training day if you can make it: if nothing else, it means you know what to do if multi-tasking is required. Volunteer for a couple of days flagging - you might then find that you're getting envious of everyone playing in the sand bit whilst all you can do is wave a piece of fabric. You might alternatively really enjoy it, in which case carry on down that route. But I'd definitely keep the incident side of things up, variety is the spice of life and all that.

NB - I'm not saying anywhere in the above that a marshal should be forced to flag if numbers are short. I'm just saying that if you know what's entailed and you're asked you'll have less qualms about saying "Yes".
Old 21 Jan 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1505962)   #11
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Good point Archaic Gold!

Why do some flaggies though seem reluctant to sign an Observers report!
There seems to be this stigma that by doing so you will end up in race control and not get home till 9pm.

9/10 it doesn't happen and in all honesty, there's absolutely nothing to stop anyone refusing to stay behind - unless there's been a fatality perhaps and the law becomes involved.
In return, a good point!! I have been an Observer since the early 1970's, although, I must agree, not all the time; but I have only twice been called to the Clerks/Stewards for a hearing. One was the penultimate round of a tie in a Formula 3 Championship, the second where a Championship organiser wanted a certain individual off the Championship. In both cases, it did not delay my departure by only 15 minutes! Problem!! No!!
I know when Clerking at the BRDC, we always attempted to take an Obs/Flag off Post during the day if he could be covered by another Marshal; collected by Course Car, and returned after the hearing. So there is really not a problem!!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1506005)   #12
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never underestimate the power and importance of a flag marshal my son!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 14:09 (Ref:1506054)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforrester
Having always been something of a clumsy and impractical individual, the idea of having to read a race was more appealing to me than the idea of falling over tyre walls to deal with incidents.............I feel a strange kind of obligation to learn to deal with incidents, so that in some way I might be considered ‘more use’.
Just remember why you marshal. I do it for one reason, & one reason only - it's fun! There's no enjoyment in doing something you don't feel happy with; if you any particular duty because of a perceived obligation there's a risk that you'll stop enjoying your marshalling & drift away......you won't be of much use then!

I'm happy doing incident, & have no desire or intention to flag.* Although I'm happy to flag when numbers are low, I don't have the 'flag mentality' (read 'short attention span'!) & find it too much like hard work! Flaggies are of just as much use as incident marshals; it takes all disciplines to make up a team - I wouldn't want to be without them!

*A remark which may come back to haunt me in a few years' time!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1506058)   #14
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I had no desire or intention to flag. Although I'm happy to flag when numbers are low.
But as a Observer many a time have i relied on the flag marshals eyes.
Have only been Observing for 1 year but the flag marshal as been my best source of information on post.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1506066)   #15
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I meant by going straight to flagging can be a handicap is in the official recognition. The BRSCC were asking for volunteers to upgrade from flags to observer, as they were short. It turned out that they had to have a spicial meeting to get my upgrade ratified because I hadn't done a year as IO!

I also agree with the general concencus that multi-tasking is the way ahead. Once again, in America, several posts are run by 2 people, one on the land line, the other doing everything else! And don't think that most of 'em are youngsters. I think thier average age is close to, if not higher than ours!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1506074)   #16
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To add to what I said earlier talk to as many flag marshals as possible and whilst you're on post do practice flagging, where ever possible, during both practicing and racing.

Another way is to ask at sign on for a post where you slipping off to flag for a couple of practices and races won't hamper the safe handling of any incident which may arise - you never know one of the flag marshals may be prepared to swap with you.

Old 21 Jan 2006, 17:50 (Ref:1506144)   #17
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
..I also agree with the general concencus that multi-tasking is the way ahead. Once again, in America, several posts are run by 2 people, one on the land line, the other doing everything else! And don't think that most of 'em are youngsters. I think thier average age is close to, if not higher than ours!
This trend worries me. I've seen posts having one IO and and rookie. How in hell could they:
phone,
fire cover,
push cars clear,
stop dazed drivers wandering all over the course, etc.,
at the same time whilst still holding out a flag?
sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1506165)   #18
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I had no desire or intention to flag. Although I'm happy to flag when numbers are low.
But as a Observer many a time have i relied on the flag marshals eyes.
Have only been Observing for 1 year but the flag marshal as been my best source of information on post.
Now more than ever!!!

Old 21 Jan 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1506166)   #19
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
6 foot bird at 12 O'clock!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1506191)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it sneezes, run away.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1506341)   #21
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But as a Observer many a time have i relied on the flag marshals eyes-----
funny i just realised what was said ok i got 1 eye but only short term..i hope!!!!

Nice one Lee
Old 22 Jan 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1506530)   #22
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I have spent the last 20+ years in the Startline/Pits area, I still try to get one/two days on the "bank". Last year I did the Long Beach Champ Cars and the Nurburgring 24hr. races. Both of these were multi-tasking, both flagging and reponse in rotation, although they were both covered by fast-intervention teams, the marshals did not go trackside until instructed by the post chief, usually under safety car cover.

At the Nurburgring we worked in teams of four, my team being at the entrance to the Carousel, an excellent blue-flag position. One of our team, Ann, had never flagged before and was very nervous at first but under the guidance of the rest of us, particularly Steve S, she was fully competent at the end of the four days. I know this is a different scenario to the normal hectic one-day clubbie, but the experience is now there for the future. I am sure the vast majority of flag marshals would be happy to assist others, when appropriate, as multi-tasking will become more the norm, IMHO.

Old 23 Jan 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1507416)   #23
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, certainly plenty to think about there. Cheers, everyone.

Not sure I can make Feb. 4th, though I'll certainly bear in mind attending any future flag sessions. It had never really occurred to me that I could attend different sessions whilst still a trainee, I assumed it was a case of waiting until I wanted to upgrade (in a year or two. Or should that be decade...?!). But that's a different matter.

I did actually get the chance to wave a flag or two (even the chequered one - I was quite excited!) while on post one at Donington at the end of last season. My technique wasn't very good though, but I've got plenty of time to practice!