Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jun 2001, 06:48 (Ref:100065)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speedvision World Challenge

Luckily I was home this afternoon, and to make a change, I looked in the TV Guide....luckily the Speedvision World Challenge from Sebring was on.

A few points.
1. Some pretty good racing...i could get to like it.
2. David 'oaf' Leslie...blimey- what is he doing in these things?? Oh well, he had a good go anyways
3. The kept refering to the cars as being mostly stock...hmmmm...they certainly seem to be fairly non-production like from where I sit
Old 2 Jun 2001, 08:05 (Ref:100082)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes,

I wayched this too Crash. Stock must mean they buy the non stock race parts from BMW.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 11:30 (Ref:100129)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Outwardly they look like super-production type cars, but then they are like Super Tourers with the works inside. Plus the engines may have been a bit standard like, but in a rather odd position within the engine bay

BTW- love the look of the new look Trans Ams....I was sceptical that their new rules would work, but they really do improve the series.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 15:15 (Ref:100200)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeh I saw it too..some good racing but that chicane was a shocker..didnt really pay that much attention to it but what i did see i enjoyed and even enjoyed seeing david leslie driving again.

as for the trans ams..yep they are awesome..i have enjoyed watching them over the past few years and this year is looking like another good one..love the look of tommy archers viper (which is only running a V8)

are they going to show any more of these "USA Touring cars" at all ????
Old 3 Jun 2001, 01:00 (Ref:100307)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I've noticed them a few times in the tv guide, but they have anyways been on at shocking times, so I'd say they will be running them with the Trans Ams for the rest of the season.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 04:02 (Ref:100327)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus wrote:

>are they going to show any more of these "USA Touring cars" at
>all ????
>
Actually,there is a total of 4 such series in the US. The Grand American Racing Association and American LeMans series runs cars like the Porsche GT3 type and the LMP type.

For us "traditional" touring car fans, there is the Motorola Cup series and the Speedvision World Challenge.

I have to agree with Marcus that going with the gigantic wings like you saw on Porsche, MB CLK really give the Trans Am a totally new image!! I found the cars so much more nice looking!
Old 3 Jun 2001, 04:05 (Ref:100328)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

Crashtest wrote:

>Outwardly they look like super-production type cars, but then they are like >Super Tourers with the works inside. Plus the engines may have been a bit >standard like, but in a rather odd position within the engine bay
>
Actually, the SVWC cars are looking more like the BCTC cars with their standard rear wing. The front bumpers are allowed to change a bit. Engine wise, the cars typically run 10-30% more hp than the dealership versions. BTW, there are two classes for the SVWC, the GT and Touring Cars. The previous comments applied largely to the Touring car class.

It's probably the case everywhere, but frankly, I am kinda bored with the WC series b/c the top 10 finishers are almost always dominated by BMW's 3 series and Acuras/Honda's Integra Type R. Kinda boring if you ask me. Though by the end of the year and next year, you should see a lot of Mazda Proteges!

Last edited by kmchow; 3 Jun 2001 at 04:08.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 10:47 (Ref:100393)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Blimey- are they going to chain all of the mazdas together so that they can let Leslie drive them all?

Are the 3 Mazdas in it presently all run by the one outfit?
Old 3 Jun 2001, 23:58 (Ref:100786)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

Crash Test wrote:

>Are the 3 Mazdas in it presently all run by the one outfit?
>
AFAIK, there are at least 3 Mazda Protege teams. Each team is a 2-3 car entry. Some are still under construction. I think engine development is being contracted out by Mazda NA? Mazda seems to be very supportive of motorsport activities since their takeover by Ford! I wish Volvo NA was also this enthusiastic. Most of the Proteges won't make the grid until the latter third of the '01 series.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 04:35 (Ref:100870)   #10
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the first round at Texas motor speedway.

Was there a spectator in the stands or not? I kept looking for one but wasn't sure.

Roger Foo provided lots of good action with his Honda Civic, watch for this guy in the tight stuff.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 06:25 (Ref:100894)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I like that guys attitude- go for something a long way away from the norm, and you will get noticed much more...
Old 5 Jun 2001, 17:45 (Ref:101512)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

Roger Foo has a story. Supposedly, his race car last year, only cost him somewhere between 6.5K-10K US to build and race. Yeah, so now the touring class will be filled largely with 3 series, Integra Type Rs and NOW Mazda Proteges!!