Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 3 Mar 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3716072)   #726
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Shpock seems to be gaining some traction.

Who or what is that?

We also have leboncoin here in France, which seems to be quite good although I've never used it other than to look at cars.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3716073)   #727
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j...48747831,d.bGs
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3716074)   #728
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, you also might consider to "join" an exhibitor to the Salon Champenois Véhicules de collection, march 11/12 Reims.
Or reach Pierre at Tacot, he's a nice person and always proved to be very modern in his commercial approach. He does carry a second hand section on his website but I dont know how it works (i-e if he only sells his goods or sometimes buy from others).
I haven't got as far as sorting out what to sell yet, although I did sell a collection of Ferrari models 18 months ago. I've got boxes full of stuff that never see the light of day. No doubt I will come home with something else tomorrow - I usually do from Antwerp!

Are you going to Reims, Gerard? I've never done that one, but with Antwerp this week & Arras in two weeks, it gets a bit expensive.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3716075)   #729
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, Le Bon Coin is doing great down here (inspired by a scandinavian model I think). But the prices are rather low.
Peter you found a modern version of the flea market, standing between our Marché aux Puces and Camden locks !!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3716077)   #730
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
"Jean" I usually go to Reims but dunno for this year. Its about 1 hour from Paris, but parking your car there is a challenge. Because you already go to Anvers (qui vaut l'endroit!) and Arras, may be you've better consider a visit next year.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 11:18 (Ref:3716081)   #731
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
"Jean" I usually go to Reims but dunno for this year. Its about 1 hour from Paris, but parking your car there is a challenge. Because you already go to Anvers (qui vaut l'endroit!) and Arras, may be you've better consider a visit next year.
I will make a note for next year - for some reason it is an event that invariably escapes my attention until after it has happened! I haven't visited Reims since the events on the old circuit a few years ago.

In the meantime, I will make do with a local Brocante on the 12th.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3716126)   #732
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Spandau Ballet? They were an '80s group, so can't imagine their audience now being entirely teenage girls....

And this is just for GP if he missed it-

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2...mpionship.aspx
I had seen something about Roborace - some progress since the initial roll out day of an autonomous racer at Donington last year it seems.

Had not heard about the Kinetic sponsorship stuff.

With governments around the world attempting to kill off diesel transport and encourage electric - a big helping hand for autonomous operational concepts in many way - I think we will see some significant "progress", probably enforced rather than by choice, in the next decade.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3716154)   #733
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I may be thinking of Dutch police, I know somebody has told me that it is a requirement with one of them. I usually find English is the safest language to use in Belgium - you either upset everybody or nobody! I'm off to Antwerp Classic show tomorrow where I will be the lone Brit with mostly Dutch, Belgians & a few Germans so no doubt it will be a multi-lingual conversation.
Given that most people speak 2 languages it is quite likely that having a 3rd one would help get the job, so it could well be the case here.
I understand that there's a problem finding enough judges who are fluent in two languages which means you can delay court appearances considerably!

As you say it's safer to use English rather than cause offence by using the wrong language, most then take pity and are happy to talk to you - it turns out that if you are Irish they are even happier to talk to you (the missus finds that very helpful and amusing when they dis me!).

My main method is to speak one of the languages with such a terrible accent that they realise you are foreign and trying your best!

I'm also off to Antwerp tomorrow, so there will be some of us!
Spencer Elton is usually there flying the flag but I'm not sure if Somerset counts!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3716159)   #734
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Given that most people speak 2 languages it is quite likely that having a 3rd one would help get the job, so it could well be the case here.
I understand that there's a problem finding enough judges who are fluent in two languages which means you can delay court appearances considerably!

As you say it's safer to use English rather than cause offence by using the wrong language, most then take pity and are happy to talk to you - it turns out that if you are Irish they are even happier to talk to you (the missus finds that very helpful and amusing when they dis me!).

My main method is to speak one of the languages with such a terrible accent that they realise you are foreign and trying your best!

I'm also off to Antwerp tomorrow, so there will be some of us!
Spencer Elton is usually there flying the flag but I'm not sure if Somerset counts!
And no matter how many years Spencer has been doing shows he will still have been late setting up! There are a few other Brit traders, including of course Chater's.

I'm involved with the concours judging team, which is not terribly onerous in Antwerp, rather more so at Techno Classica.

I also know an Irish lady in Belgium & she was telling me restaurants in Brussels are getting a bit anti French speakers with Flemish-only menus etc.

Last edited by John Elwin; 3 Mar 2017 at 16:38. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 3 Mar 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3716163)   #735
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And no matter how many years Spencer has been doing shows he will still have been late setting up! There are a few other Brit traders, including of course Chater's.

I'm involved with the concours judging team, which is not terribly onerous in Antwerp, rather more so at Techno Classica.

I also know an Irish lady in Belgium & she was telling me restaurants in Brussels are getting a bit anti French speakers with Flemish-only menus etc.
I always hope to find something of interest but usually just end up buying a few books from Chaters and telling Spencer I'd be interested if the price was better - when I manage to get a word in edgeways!
I was surprised to see that they have a concours I hadn't noticed one in previous years!

I try to avoid Brussels, Leuven (e.g. Stella Artois) is slightly closer and being Flemish they are happy with English!
A couple of years ago there was an effort to make people use Flemish in a local area that's close to the lingo border but it didn't last long!
It's always very confusing, everytime I go somewhere I have to think what language shall I start off in.

Most countries seem to be far more relaxed these days, about 10 years ago I was surprised that places in Paris were offering English menus - but I assume they had the foreigner's mark up included!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3716164)   #736
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Each time I go to Belgium, I specify that if I'm speaking French its just because I am… If not, I could be a collateral damage. And I do forget that one part of my roots come from the Flemish part of this nice country.
But look, they gave us a good lesson of how it can work, they managed to run their country without government during more than one year and a half. Bearing in mind that they have 4 ministries of agriculture (one per language plus one for Brussels farm). Who's next then?
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3716167)   #737
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I always hope to find something of interest but usually just end up buying a few books from Chaters and telling Spencer I'd be interested if the price was better - when I manage to get a word in edgeways!
I was surprised to see that they have a concours I hadn't noticed one in previous years!

I try to avoid Brussels, Leuven (e.g. Stella Artois) is slightly closer and being Flemish they are happy with English!
A couple of years ago there was an effort to make people use Flemish in a local area that's close to the lingo border but it didn't last long!
It's always very confusing, everytime I go somewhere I have to think what language shall I start off in.

Most countries seem to be far more relaxed these days, about 10 years ago I was surprised that places in Paris were offering English menus - but I assume they had the foreigner's mark up included!
There's always been a concours, but as I say it is fairly low key, usually something from one of the high-end dealers wins, but last a private seller took one of the classes. I think the clubs also have a competition amongst themselves for the best club stand, hence the reason for sometimes rather unusual displays.

As to languages, for Spa I usually stay in a little hotel where 'Madame' seems to get French, German & English all into the same sentence!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3716168)   #738
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Each time I go to Belgium, I specify that if I'm speaking French its just because I am… If not, I could be a collateral damage. And I do forget that one part of my roots come from the Flemish part of this nice country.
But look, they gave us a good lesson of how it can work, they managed to run their country without government during more than one year and a half. Bearing in mind that they have 4 ministries of agriculture (one per language plus one for Brussels farm). Who's next then?
You have to wonder how many farms there are in Brussels that they need their own ministry!

Even car tax varies between regions, I just registered my English road car and the difference between registering it in my Brussels based company name and my Flemish home address was massive.

As you say they show how it can work - mixed languages, regions having their own powers and so on, it makes it hard to understand why people believe that the EU impose all the regulations.

As for the government I think that shows that it is the civil service who run countries not the members of parliament - as was explained by the Yes Minister tv series.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3716169)   #739
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
There's always been a concours, but as I say it is fairly low key, usually something from one of the high-end dealers wins, but last a private seller took one of the classes. I think the clubs also have a competition amongst themselves for the best club stand, hence the reason for sometimes rather unusual displays.

As to languages, for Spa I usually stay in a little hotel where 'Madame' seems to get French, German & English all into the same sentence!
It's definitely low key, but then I don't pay too much attention to the high-end dealer stuff - oh look it's another of those rare Porsches or Ferraris...

I do look at the club stands and usually think that they aren't the club for me!

It's always a nice event though, I like that it isn't too big and it's only 30 mins away!

You can have some amazing conversations mixing languages or with one person talking one language and the other a different one!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3716170)   #740
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
You have to wonder how many farms there are in Brussels that they need their own ministry!

Even car tax varies between regions, I just registered my English road car and the difference between registering it in my Brussels based company name and my Flemish home address was massive.

As you say they show how it can work - mixed languages, regions having their own powers and so on, it makes it hard to understand why people believe that the EU impose all the regulations.

As for the government I think that shows that it is the civil service who run countries not the members of parliament - as was explained by the Yes Minister tv series.
It amuses me that there is a former Belgian Prime Minister (the one with a funny haircut) now an MEP, who seems to think he should be running the whole of Europe!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:26 (Ref:3716171)   #741
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Peter, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the answer to the "how many farms" question is … one !
Their visceral mistrust towards French can lead to funny situations. I remember a tall and rather impressive guy at Spa, probably chief scrutineer for the 6 hours while ago. He hated French, Porsche's and had absolutly no respect for the BSI norm. Guess what? I was driving a 911 and wearing a helmet with a BSI sticker on it! He sent me through the weight tunnel during qually yaling at me in a language I couldn't understand. He only calmed down and laughed (just a bit) when I told him that only a French could be so rude…
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3716173)   #742
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, are talking about La ferme Libert hotel? You should use "Mademoiselle" then.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3716183)   #743
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
John, are talking about La ferme Libert hotel? You should use "Mademoiselle" then.
I can't think of the name at the moment, but that's not it. It's in a village through Malmedy where there is a memorial to some American soldiers who were massacred during the war.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3716194)   #744
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I had seen something about Roborace - some progress since the initial roll out day of an autonomous racer at Donington last year it seems.

Had not heard about the Kinetic sponsorship stuff.

With governments around the world attempting to kill off diesel transport and encourage electric - a big helping hand for autonomous operational concepts in many way - I think we will see some significant "progress", probably enforced rather than by choice, in the next decade.
I didn't realise that 3 years before Formula E started, the French Ice Racing 'Andros Trophy' adopted an electric formula to support their main series / championship. They're now talking of allowing electric cars to compete on equal terms...... I'm looking forward to seeing how the Tesla races are received this year!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3716206)   #745
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You mean there will have a Tesla Cup this year?
Old 3 Mar 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3716225)   #746
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Should be- think up to 24 cars being prepared!

http://www.electricgt.co/#monaco
Old 3 Mar 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3716226)   #747
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Comme dirait si bien notre ami Robert, ben merde alors!
Old 3 Mar 2017, 20:53 (Ref:3716228)   #748
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
about 10 years ago I was surprised that places in Paris were offering English menus - but I assume they had the foreigner's mark up included!
Doesn't that just happen in all countries ? I used to do a lot of diving in Israel and often used a taxi, we caught one once with an Israeli mate that is married to a friends daughter, the fare was under half price of what we normally paid !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Mar 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3716367)   #749
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
You need to be cute and sharp with ebay and watch for the special offers.
Going back to selling stuff on the above- yesterday I purchased something (£17) direct from a retailer's website. By co-incidence later I found them selling the same item on ebay- for £2 less.......
Old 4 Mar 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3716384)   #750
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Peter, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the answer to the "how many farms" question is … one !
Their visceral mistrust towards French can lead to funny situations. I remember a tall and rather impressive guy at Spa, probably chief scrutineer for the 6 hours while ago. He hated French, Porsche's and had absolutly no respect for the BSI norm. Guess what? I was driving a 911 and wearing a helmet with a BSI sticker on it! He sent me through the weight tunnel during qually yaling at me in a language I couldn't understand. He only calmed down and laughed (just a bit) when I told him that only a French could be so rude…
I'm not sure but one sounds like the right answer.

Scrutineers/Marshals have always been a law unto themselves, there used to be a Belgian pitlane Marshal who wore a cowboy hat and seemed to want to annoy as many people as possible - one year I watched him arguing with Keke Rosberg about smoking in the pitlane, Rosberg's answer seemed to be along the lines of F off without me you wouldn't be here....