Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Jul 2018, 22:34 (Ref:3837406)   #501
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
What a waste of time, resources and everyone's sanity.
so ...like in politics
Old 18 Jul 2018, 22:42 (Ref:3837407)   #502
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
so ...like in politics
There's a reason I don't follow politics...
Old 19 Jul 2018, 05:48 (Ref:3837433)   #503
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
What a waste of time, resources and everyone's sanity.
You might not think so if it was your money you had paid out to then receive sub-standard service...
Old 19 Jul 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3837436)   #504
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
You might not think so if it was your money you had paid out to then receive sub-standard service...
BTCC is a very difficult one for sponsors really at the moment IMHO
Think about recent years, I mean no disrespect to the likes of Depper, Lines, Howard, Martin or the like, but because these gentlemen racers were often shall we say accident prone, they would be guaranteed time on TV.

Now we have a much more competitive grid and most of the gentlemen drivers have gone, so if your a top 10 challenger your getting TV time, theres not really as many drivers towards the back doing anything that will get the car on TV which cant be appealing for sponsors.
Nobody likes an accident, but Depper spinning or Howard getting in the gravel would get a bit of air time and publicity, 4 VWs trundling around with Stephen Jelley and Josh Price does not.... look at some of Platos comments over the last year regarding sponsors

Last edited by btccbloke; 19 Jul 2018 at 07:29.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3837442)   #505
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
BTCC is a very difficult one for sponsors really at the moment IMHO
Think about recent years, I mean no disrespect to the likes of Depper, Lines, Howard, Martin or the like, but because these gentlemen racers were often shall we say accident prone, they would be guaranteed time on TV.

Now we have a much more competitive grid and most of the gentlemen drivers have gone, so if your a top 10 challenger your getting TV time, theres not really as many drivers towards the back doing anything that will get the car on TV which cant be appealing for sponsors.
Nobody likes an accident, but Depper spinning or Howard getting in the gravel would get a bit of air time and publicity, 4 VWs trundling around with Stephen Jelley and Josh Price does not.... look at some of Platos comments over the last year regarding sponsors
This probably goes to why so many sponsors seem to be spread around the grid, rather than heavily backing a single team/driver.

AutoGlym, Wix, RCIB, Duo and more can all be seen backing multiple driver/car combinations on the grid - probably on the basis that if one of their sponsorships doesn't get airtime, another one will.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 08:44 (Ref:3837445)   #506
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Probably just a well sponsors aren't sponsoring just one car
Old 19 Jul 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3837451)   #507
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a lot of sponsors doing that, I wonder if the BTCC could do a contingency sponsor program like NASCAR?
Old 19 Jul 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3837470)   #508
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This probably goes to why so many sponsors seem to be spread around the grid, rather than heavily backing a single team/driver.
I always had the impression thats what Motorbase were doing last year with Jackson near the front and Depper spinning around at the back (.... tho he was a bit more steady last year)
Old 19 Jul 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3837477)   #509
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I always had the impression thats what Motorbase were doing last year with Jackson near the front and Depper spinning around at the back (.... tho he was a bit more steady last year)
Is that what BMR's grand plan is - Sutton up the front, and Plato at the back?

Maybe that explains why they didn't get his car fixed for ages last year - they certainly got plenty of column inches off the back of Plato's woes?!?!
Old 19 Jul 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3837489)   #510
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Well no, of course not, still doesn't help matters very much. Anyway, roll on Snetterton, regardless of whether Jake Hill gets the AMD seat or not.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3837502)   #511
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't think there's much money behind it, but Dennis Strandberg is now under HARD's wing so could be another candidate for Hill's replacement.

Personally - and probably incorrectly - I think we'll be down to 3 VWs for the rest of the season.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3837507)   #512
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Don't think there's much money behind it, but Dennis Strandberg is now under HARD's wing so could be another candidate for Hill's replacement.

Personally - and probably incorrectly - I think we'll be down to 3 VWs for the rest of the season.
Could well be or at least for a meeting or two...
Old 19 Jul 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3837513)   #513
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@tonygilham34 - "Uh oh! @DunlopBTCC #TG34 #snug" https://twitter.com/tonygilham34/sta...44280012525569

Old 19 Jul 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3837516)   #514
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
@tonygilham34 - "Uh oh! @DunlopBTCC #TG34 #snug" https://twitter.com/tonygilham34/sta...44280012525569

Wicked!
Old 19 Jul 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3837520)   #515
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

Strandberg will miss VW Cup in Spa, because he has no money... so likely no BTCC.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3837522)   #516
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Strandberg will miss VW Cup in Spa, because he has no money... so likely no BTCC.
Yep, that's what I thought.

As for Gilham, I think that photo is just Tony up to his usual tricks... only 2 hashtags must be a new record!
Old 19 Jul 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3837529)   #517
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matt James' post about an Autosport Plus article about how TOCA deals with non paying drivers and teams. It has revealed a few commenters with interesting experiences of a particular squad mention on this thread lately. Here is a reply, Name deliberately not mentioned for anonymity but it is a driver who has tested with said team but never raced so pretty credible source.

How does it want to treat the driver when they get ripped off?

I paid for a full BTCC test day only to be given a seat I couldnt sit in and had a very poor day because of it. My knees were literally jammed up against the back of the wheel and I had to wheel shuffle all day.

There are teams and one in particular that should be excluded if everything you hear about them is true. My experience certainly backs those claims up.

#NoPrep
#BentChassis
#PayMoreThanContract
#lyingToYourFace
#SportIntoDisrepute

Last edited by medius; 19 Jul 2018 at 14:58.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3837539)   #518
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Matt James' post about an Autosport Plus article about how TOCA deals with non paying drivers and teams. It has revealed a few commenters with interesting experiences of a particular squad mention on this thread lately. Here is a reply, Name deliberately not mentioned for anonymity but it is a driver who has tested with said team but never raced so pretty credible source.

How does it want to treat the driver when they get ripped off?

I paid for a full BTCC test day only to be given a seat I couldnt sit in and had a very poor day because of it. My knees were literally jammed up against the back of the wheel and I had to wheel shuffle all day.

There are teams and one in particular that should be excluded if everything you hear about them is true. My experience certainly backs those claims up.

#NoPrep
#BentChassis
#PayMoreThanContract
#lyingToYourFace
#SportIntoDisrepute
Are we completely sure this is Team Hard? "#bentchassis" and "#NoPrep" suggests this could also be a Subaru or MG car the guy was testing

I am interested if this relates to the recent Snetterton tests which would narrow it to Hard or AMD
Old 19 Jul 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3837543)   #519
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My interpretation was that of the bent chassis being an Avensis based on the poster's history. I won't name a name as neither side is able to substantiate/defend the claim here. But it's on social media so must be true right? However, that makes several ex-drivers and business partners who have sold cars to the team in question now making a similar tune. Maybe the substance is there behind the rumblings?

Who knows for certain? It may come out one day.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3837544)   #520
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I'm taking this (wrongly?) as a hint that TG is preparing to drive the ex Hill car himself - but it may not come to that if someone suitable opens their wallet to him.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3837553)   #521
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
#NoOption #CantFindAnotherDriver #RiskLosingTBL
Old 19 Jul 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3837568)   #522
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ he could just drive himself indeed

but if there is nobody with budget wiling to come why doesn't he just offer a free ride to some talented driver to make the team look better ?
Old 19 Jul 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3837572)   #523
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
but if there is nobody with budget wiling to come why doesn't he just offer a free ride to some talented driver to make the team look better ?
How do you think his other drivers would feel? They are paying full price and some Johnny-come-lately gets a freebie.

And next year... every would-be driver would hold out paying for a drive knowing that if it got to the last minute and the team was desperate, they could pick up a ride for free.
Old 19 Jul 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3837578)   #524
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
^ he could just drive himself indeed

Tom Onslow Cole is one of the more talented peddlers, why he ended up testing with Team Hard is a bit beyond me, but he didn't exactly set any times to make the car look like it had much more potential.

The big mystery in all this to me is what is happening to respected engineer Geoff Kingston? hows he ended up in this shambles
Old 19 Jul 2018, 21:28 (Ref:3837592)   #525
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
TOC I believe tested as a favour for TG. I understand the latter highly valued the formers opinions and feedback on the car. So a genuine attempt to try and find some performance gains? And maybe a hope of enticing TOC into the race seat?