Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 May 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2196460)   #1
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Attracting New Marshals.

How is it done? Over in the Australian section of this fine board, there is a 'conversation' going on about the lack of marshals at a meeting in particular, and in general also.

So how do you attract new marshals?Getting one of the vintage that they will last a couple of years before having to throw in the towel is just a stopgap. What is needed are newbies that are (hopefully) going to be around in 20 years. By that I mean the younger generation, around the 18-25 age band. I am in this age bracket myself, and I can't manage to get any of my (3) friends to come and join me for a day.

So, any suggestions as to how we should increase the membership? I'm sure that there are many open ears!!

Mick
Old 7 May 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2196468)   #2
AlexBlakeley
Rookie

AlexBlakeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol, I just did my first weekend as a Marshal at the A1GP race at Brands and I'm 18 but the best bit was that I was 'recruited' by someone younger than me.

Problem is im now addicted and want to do a lot more!

Simple answer is a lot of persuasion and enthusiasm
Old 7 May 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2196473)   #3
MattFord
Racer

England
Sunbury on Thames
MattFord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yo Alex (Data Guru) are you coming to Thruxton the weekend after next?

As for the new marshal's you need to target fishermen who don't mind staring at the same thing for long periods of time!!!

Ps you said you were 19!!
Old 7 May 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2196487)   #4
AlexBlakeley
Rookie

I never said I was 19, sure you didn't miss hear me?

Anyway it is unlikely I am coming to Thruxton although I would love too! transport for me is the problem......

All being well I will be at the Historics at Brands the following weekend.

Fishermen would be a good target for marshalling agreed.
Old 7 May 2008, 23:50 (Ref:2196489)   #5
MattFord
Racer

England
Sunbury on Thames
I'll be there too. Look forward to seeing you again - will you have probans?
Old 8 May 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2196499)   #6
AlexBlakeley
Rookie

I hope too, don't know yet. I haven't quiet worked out the best place to get them from and what size I need! lol

If not I'll have to wear my bright orange shirt again, at least I don't stand out so much then!
Old 8 May 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2196625)   #7
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We told you it is addictive. as for probans, AWS or through the BMMC, or BARC sell them so a few choices available.
Get good boots mate, you looked like you were struggling a little at the end of the weekend.
Fun though wasn't it?
Old 8 May 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2196631)   #8
AlexBlakeley
Rookie

I was struggling due to blisters from walking around London all the previous Sunday. I don't know why but my feet have always blistered very easily.

As for the probans, I will look into them, Thanks
Old 8 May 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2196649)   #9
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to be blunt with you guys, but I started this thread in an attempt to get some ideas on how to attract young 'uns to the 'insanity.' Could we try to stay on topic please?

Cheers,

Mick
Old 8 May 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2196661)   #10
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Mick, a lot of progress in the UK has been made by "Team Wilson".

Working at BTCC events. So, they were being visible and approachable at a high profile meeting with large crowds (of young 'uns).

Someone needs to take a lot of time out from working on the bank and promote marshalling on the other side of the fence. I'm sure once the rest of the UK drags itself onto 10ths you'll get more opinions.

http://www.msportuk.com/news/2007/q3...c_marshals.php
http://www.msauk.org/site/wbs/news/V...ue&chapter=262

Then of course there's this place - the Australians seem to generate a lot of traffic in their touring car bit - don't many stray out to this bit (OK, maybe it's a bit too UK biased) and pick up on what we do

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 8 May 2008 at 08:17.
Old 8 May 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2196677)   #11
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
I know this part is mostly UK based, thats why I started this. I thought that because the strategies aren't working here, we could try to adapt techniques that you Brits have.

The stand idea was raised there, but who is going to sacrifice their time trackside? I would if I could go around to all the V8rounds as a CAMS employee

Mick

Mick
Old 8 May 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2196695)   #12
MattFord
Racer

England
Sunbury on Thames
Sorry Mick "my bad"

Volenteers in motor sport have done a good job at the british tour cars and there is 63 trainee's coming too the next meet at Thruxton.

I will go to their stand and see if I can pick up some tips for you.
Old 8 May 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2196701)   #13
AlexBlakeley
Rookie

63!!! that's a lot, and it doesn't include me!

Word of mouth is surely the best way to pass the message on about marshalling, worked with me!
Old 8 May 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2196703)   #14
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
I have tried that amongst my friends, the best I have got is two to a training day, never to be seen again :cry:

The numbers that you guys are getting mean that you are doing something right

Mick
Old 8 May 2008, 10:13 (Ref:2196735)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
There's a lot going on in the UK. ViM & Team Wilson have already been mentioned. Motorsport News seems to have got the message - most weeks there's some mention of marshalling. BMMC is doing a lot both nationally & locally, for example the recent Ginetta conflagration at Oulton raised media interest, which resulted in a small item on BBC North West (see http://www.brsccnw.com/marshalling2.htm), & there has also been a spot on Radio Manchester as part of Stuart Jones' (a NW Formula Ford competitor) weekly motoring feature. At Oulton Park there are regular 'Walkabouts', which allow prospective new marshals to get an idea of what's involved before committing themselves.
Old 8 May 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2196737)   #16
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i am young myself as most of you know, i got Alex marshalling and now he is looking for probans, when there is people asking how to get into it, you just need to say how and try get them on the bank.

The only way they will know if they will enjoy it is after doing 2 to 3 meetings.

No offence to all you old gits (laugh out loud), but i agree we need to get the younger generation in doing it.

P.S. Thanks for the KFC, Matt.
Old 8 May 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2196739)   #17
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
'We' do need young newbies, because in 20 years time, how many of the people on the banks will realistically be there? I'm guessing not many.

Mick
Old 8 May 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2196741)   #18
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No the average age of marshals is very high i guess, thats not a huge problem as they are all nice guys, but it does need some young blood aswell, glad you agree.
Old 8 May 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2196757)   #19
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unfortunately we live in an "instant gratification" society where people in the prospective marshaling demographic (I wanted to say "young people" but that makes me into an old phart!) would rather race on PS3/xbox than go out and watch the real thing. The fact that there is a level of payout out "up-front" for overalls, boots, etc. can also put off prospective recruits.

There's also a general lack of information on how to join up and the fact that this is a voluntary operation. If you're at a circuit and see marshals working on the "other" side of the fence, in what looks like a uniform, there is the automatic assumption that the marshals are paid employees of the circuit and not an "open" volunteer operation.

Pretty much every race meeting from small clubbies up to full international events has some form of program for spectators, from a few photocopied pages stapled together up to the full-on A4 sized glossy F1/A1GP types so whoever is responsible for programs should include a half page advert saying what marshals are, what we do, etc. this would go a way to breaking this preconception. Oh, and something more than a couple of lines of "Marshals are volunteers, join here." kind of thing. I'm sure SOMEONE within a PR company could come up with something exciting and colourful.

Circuits or marshaling clubs should buy some Proban overalls in a variety of sizes but in a non-orange colour and have something like "Trainee" on the back to lend to prospective marshals for the first couple of meetings until they get a feel for the hobby.

Get a bit of publicity going, get Bernie or TGF out on the bank for a day! Would be fun to see MS pushing a Vee out a gravel trap or getting the blue flag going at a GP, I'm sure that would generate plenty of press!
Old 8 May 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2196772)   #20
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned earlier we do walkabouts (advertised through BMMC / certain race meetings we have a stand as well as Team Wilson at BTCC) which is great to give people an insight and mostly they come back!!

We also work closely with our local organising clubs who do put adverts in their programmes with local contact details. Details are also going into BTCC programme this year too.

We have in the past put leaflets in strategic places (toilets / bridges etc.) for people to complete details to be followed up later.

We also have postcards at the local circuit which just needs to be completed and sent off (comes to me) to say they are interested. The circuit office also has my contact details which they pass on to anyone who calls.

I think the key is coverage - try everything and then keep up with the ones which work.

Also key is the follow-up - if people don't hear within a couple of weeks then they think they have been forgotten. You really need one point of contact per circuit if you can that can channel this and do the follow-up.

It works well for us in the North West - though needs a lot of input!
Old 8 May 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2196782)   #21
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
There's also a general lack of information on how to join up and the fact that this is a voluntary operation.
Absolutely agree with this. Having decided to have a go, only a few weeks ago, I found my biggest problem was and utter lack of information on how to get started. After searching the web for a while, and I probably spent 10-15 minutes looking in various places. I was about to give up, when I eventually stumbled across a link to a document on the BMMC site "you first call to make." That gave me Jimmy's email address, and after getting in touch with him, he was very helpful, and the rest was easy.

That first step needs to be sorted out, IMHO, though. What is needed is a clear link on the site which says "Click here if you want to try marshaling - no experience necessary" - with a simple form through which you can supply basic contact details, which get sent off to the regional recruitment officer (the ones in the "first call" document), who can then get in touch, much the same way Jimmy did with me. This should perhaps make it a bit clearer that you don't have to be a BMMC member to have a go, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Circuits or marshaling clubs should buy some Proban overalls in a variety of sizes but in a non-orange colour and have something like "Trainee" on the back to lend to prospective marshals for the first couple of meetings until they get a feel for the hobby.
Agreed. My biggest concern these first few weeks is availability of overalls and gloves. Again, Jimmy has been helpful, and posts here have resulted in a variety of offers to lend me gear, but a clear policy on the availability of kit to borrow would ease my concerns - I have been a bit reluctant to volunteer for events until I know gear is available (I have ordered my own now, which should all be in the post), but in those first few weeks, I believe this is important.
Old 8 May 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2196790)   #22
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i got my mum into marshalling does that count!? seriously though the main problems i see is the cost of equiptment, and the lack of disposible income with the increase of taxes and fuel these days..bloody government...need a good kickin up the ar$e
Old 8 May 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2196799)   #23
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how i found out was a marshal with a website on the back of their probans, yet i don't see many of them even now i'm one of them! something simple like the web address on the back and a "want to join us? visit <webaddress>" would be a great way to help get the message out. Even credit card sized "business cards" with a few details on how to start would be great. Give a few to each marshal and during quiet periods (!!) we can canvass the crowd, assuming we have one...
Old 8 May 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2196801)   #24
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
how i found out was a marshal with a website on the back of their probans, yet i don't see many of them even now i'm one of them! something simple like the web address on the back and a "want to join us? visit <webaddress>" would be a great way to help get the message out. Even credit card sized "business cards" with a few details on how to start would be great. Give a few to each marshal and during quiet periods (!!) we can canvass the crowd, assuming we have one...
What, a crownd, or some quiet time?

Mick
Old 8 May 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2197068)   #25
MattFord
Racer

England
Sunbury on Thames
I must admit for me it was difficult to get any information, it seems you need to be in "it" to know!

On the forums and web people banter about newbies but it is never the case when you get to the track side. it is very profesional and friendly and all are welcomed.

I think the best Idea is the buddy scheme but that never seemed to have got off the ground here. Grab a yound lad and give him a day at the armco and he will be hooked - but not many people want to be a recruiting officer on the day and just want to be in with the action!