Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Jun 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3826407)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks to marshals at Oulton yesterday(2/6/18)

I had a great Swinging 60s race, contesting with more equally powered cars - until the last few minutes! The morning drizzle had stopped, the track had dried, it was all-out racing, and I went to pass another car on Island Bend, the fastest on the circuit that is usually taken with a lift, or a brief brake. Taking the outside line, I was too fast, went off on the outside, onto the grass. A race driver, on grass, is a passenger. No brakes, no steering. I was heading at full speed for the barrier inside the Hairpin that follows Island. It was only the gravel trap that stopped me, less than ten feet from disaster. My race was over.

But not my car! Dug into gravel, I expected to need an Iron Fairy, one of the tractors that wave their magic wands and lift you out, but a team of marshals PUSHED me out! Good job, guys! Thank you! The car restarted and I drove back to the paddock at non-race speed, to live another day, and shortly to race at Spa! WooHoo!

JOhn
Old 3 Jun 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3826445)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Iron Fairy,

That dates you. . . & me!
Old 3 Jun 2018, 17:01 (Ref:3826564)   #3
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saw the marshals do a few push outs amongst other things to save the SC being deployed, awesome work guys and girls.
Couldn't decide which shovel so took them all ;-)

Thanks guys - you rock xxx

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 3 Jun 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3826648)   #4
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wish you'd been there at Island, David! You got a nice sequence of me spinning at Old Hall, but on the other I was airbourne, the marshals said!

See: https://www.davidstallardphotography...e-18/i-cQvptT2 and the next six pics!

John
PS I know it's not clever to go off, but if you don't sometimes, you're not trying hard enough!
Old 4 Jun 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3826836)   #5
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey John, that's the only problem - only one of me!

Thing that made me smile though is I have photo's of you doing the exact same thing at the exact same point last year ;-)

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 4 Jun 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3826847)   #6
JohnD
Veteran

Yes, and I'm proud, proud I tell you!
John
Old 6 Jun 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3827161)   #7
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I understand the marshals at Lodge applauded my partner-in-Alfa when he spun a 360 in the Future Classics qualy.....presumably more for him not putting it in the kitty litter and thus saving them the work of getting him out than in appreciation of his skill

I took care to wave my thanks to all trackside at the end of qualy as they would have been pretty soggy! At least the afternoon would have dried them out!

Thanks to all, as ever