Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Feb 2006, 07:47 (Ref:1524828)   #1
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who else will win a GP in 2006 and why ?

I decided to set this thread up because its a little more interesting than 'the who will win the championship', a feat only within the grasp of one or two protagonists. Here are a few early thoughts on oustiders :

o Mark Webber - Cosworth may have pulled a blinder this year and developed a good V8. Williams are reeling after a dreadful 2005, but without Thiessen breathing down their neck, may be able to put on a better performance. Webber's very quick, is overdue a good result and may just do it this year.

o Jenson Button - He's gotten so close in past and his smooth driving is exactly what you need to be there at the end. This year's Honda appears to be reliable and very fast. With Ant in the third car again on the Friday, and Ruben's enormous experience thrown in for good measure, they will be much better set up for raceday in comparison to last year. Like Webber, he's got the maturity to take first spot... and also like Webber, he's well overdue.

o David Coulthard - I think people are underestimating the benefit of RB will have with 4 cars at each event. STR and RB will NOT be operating independently, their cars look dangerously similar and STR may be quite competitive with the V10. The canny scot is the second most experienced driver in the field. He knows how to win races and could well pull off RBs first in 2006.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1524835)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Can we first identify who it is that you are ASSUMING will win a GP?
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1524850)   #3
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has probably been said every year for the last few years, but, I think this will be the year Jenson Button gets his first win. I think we might see Barrichello up there too. If testing is anything to go by, I'd be tempted to say the Honda will be the second fastest car behind the Renaults.

I don't think Coulthard will win this year. Webber I think could be getting the odd podium, but I don't think will win.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1524866)   #4
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso, Rubens, Button, Trulli, Fisi, Shumi, JPM, Kimi, Webber
Old 17 Feb 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1524887)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I predict Race Winners This Season: M Schumacher, Alonso, Raikonnen, Montoya, Fisichella, Button

Podiums: Barichello, Webber, Massa, Heidfeld, Villeneuve, Coulthard, R Schumacher, Trulli

But we won't really know everyones pace until the first race.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1524898)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as id love to say Webber being an Australian, i dont think he will win a race.

Infact.. If Mark Webber wins a race in 2006 i will run naked down the pit straight at Albert Park the next night.. anyone willing to hold me do that ??
Old 17 Feb 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1524910)   #7
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the only one (amongst Webber,Button and Coulthard according to the first post) with a chance of winning the WDC would be Button, but again, I wouldn't fancy Button winning the championship, maybe a a(few) race(s)
Old 17 Feb 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1524916)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're talking about winning races.

I don't think Coulthard will win anything other than a race of attrition, Williams look well-placed to spring a surprise: I've heard lots of good things about the Cosworth and this seamless-shift gearbox sounds very interesting.

I don't think Button will win any races, Barrichello is a long shot. Other than that you've got your Ferraris, McLarens, Renaults - oh yes, and your Toyotas.

I fully expect Toyota to win a race this season.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1524929)   #9
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe Renault, Ferrari and based on pre-season testing, Honda will be the main forces this year. I will put my neck on the line and even say it is likely Button or Rubins will score the team's first win this year.

But I also think the Friday car will assist Williams a great deal and should the Cosworth be reliable and others not, Webber may be an outside chance of turning a podium finish into a win if the cards fall his way.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1524969)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My predictions, which will probably go awray the moment the season starts. Firstly, the obvious race winners are Alonso, Fisichella, Raikkonen and Montoya will all win one race. Of course, Michael Schumacher has to be considered a possible race winner, but that depends on whether the defficiencies of last years car have been rectified. I wouldn't be surprised if those were the only race winners, but if there were to be a race with a number of retirements then I would imagine possible wins for Jenson Button, Jarno Trulli and just maybe Mark Webber, assuming that the Cosworth is reasonably fast, reliable and Williams fully utilise the advantages of the third car.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1524994)   #11
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
As much as id love to say Webber being an Australian, i dont think he will win a race.

Infact.. If Mark Webber wins a race in 2006 i will run naked down the pit straight at Albert Park the next night.. anyone willing to hold me do that ??
Dude, I'll PM you to organise a time the minute after Webber wins Bahrain.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1525014)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
o Mark Webber - Cosworth may have pulled a blinder this year and developed a good V8. Williams are reeling after a dreadful 2005, but without Thiessen breathing down their neck, may be able to put on a better performance. Webber's very quick, is overdue a good result and may just do it this year.

o Jenson Button - He's gotten so close in past and his smooth driving is exactly what you need to be there at the end. This year's Honda appears to be reliable and very fast. With Ant in the third car again on the Friday, and Ruben's enormous experience thrown in for good measure, they will be much better set up for raceday in comparison to last year. Like Webber, he's got the maturity to take first spot... and also like Webber, he's well overdue.

o David Coulthard - I think people are underestimating the benefit of RB will have with 4 cars at each event. STR and RB will NOT be operating independently, their cars look dangerously similar and STR may be quite competitive with the V10. The canny scot is the second most experienced driver in the field. He knows how to win races and could well pull off RBs first in 2006.
]
I think Mark's perhaps wishful thinking. His first year with the Cosworth is all going to be a bit different for him. I think alot of it obviously depends on its competitiveness and how well he gels with the engine.

Jenson, yes, he will win this year.

David, nah I just can't see it happening. It'd have to be a mish-mash race with ample retirees for me, although he did show signs of 'race winner' in him at the European GP last year (?).

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1525016)   #13
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh Ha
Dude, I'll PM you to organise a time the minute after Webber wins Bahrain.
Just make sure you're there to record the event if it occurs
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1525017)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence

Williams look well-placed to spring a surprise: I've heard lots of good things about the Cosworth and this seamless-shift gearbox sounds very interesting.
Yeh this sounds so intriguing. I think it'll make a very worthy contribution if it pays off...

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1525033)   #15
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm. It's always hard to predict, but I think Mark Webber will get a win this year. It'll be early on, because I'm a little bit wary of the kind of development pace the Williams team will have. He's a good driver, who hasn't yet had the right break - he can do it, and I think in 2006, he probably will. Ralf Schumacher, because on a good day - I think he's as good as anyone. He doesn't have many good days, but out of him and Trulli - I think Ralf, ultimately will be the one to bag Toyota's maiden GP win - and let's face it, it has to happen this year. Doesn't it? Jenson Button and Rubens will both win Grand Prix's, I think one of them at least will be a Championship challenger. Felipe Massa - could win one, I'm not saying he will - but I think he could. He's extremely under-rated IMO. And finally - obviously, I'm expecting wins from Michael, Fernando, Kimi and Juan. It should be a good year. As for Fisi - I just don't think he will.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1525034)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I dunno why, I just don't think Toyota will get that win. I think their chance was last year. I get the feeling they're going to be on a backburner and be a bit off this year.

Just a feeling.

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1525040)   #17
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can definately see why you think that, they seem to consistantly disapoint, and under-perform. But - I think they just have to this year, they'll have a fast car - you can see they have a pace of development, perhaps unrelational to many of the other teams. And, in a good car - I think Ralf can excel from time to time. I'm thinking Imola 2001, and those back to back wins in at the Nurburgring, and Magny-Cours in 2003. I think they'll bag at least one win this year
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1525060)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Ralf Schumacher, because on a good day - I think he's as good as anyone.
On a good day with the wind behind him...
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1525065)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
lmao Yeah Ralf can REALLY put it on... When he wants to. Much alike Jacques. I still feel the only reason Ralf's landed himself a decent spot in F1 is because of the surname.

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1525073)   #20
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa will .. and so will the Honda boys .. button to get first win for Honda ..
why .. because they'll finish first in a race

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Feb 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1525129)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi and JPM and Alonso and Fisi. TGF if the car is more like 04 than 05..

Webber's case is overstated. I don't think that the Willy's will have a prayer.

I also think Rubens will get a win, but I doubt Jenson will.

TOYOTA may finally have a car capable of winning a race, but neither Ralfie nor Jarno have shown that they can win unless their car is absolutely dominant on that day. I give them a 50-50 chance.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1525182)   #22
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
I think the Williams aero is gonna be top notch this year; I think Mark especially can run near the front early on. But; as I said earlier - I think they might struggle a bit with the pace of other teams' development relative to thier own, hence - a drop off in performance.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1525528)   #23
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Massa is an interesting one. If the Ferrari's any good, and Schuey drops the ball, he may well be in with a chance of a win.

Toyota ? I'm not so sure. I don't believe they'll pull anything out of the hat this year to make that car a regular front row machine. For certain the pressure will be sky-high there to achieve something but I neither Trulli nor Ralf are capable of making a bad car win.

... which is why I think Coulthard may have a chance. He did make cars that shouldn't have win, cross the finish first. On the down side, he often had difficulty doing the same with cars that should have won.

Sauber-BMW - I like Heidfeld and feel is terribly underrated... but I don't believe the car has it.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1525529)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Can we first identify who it is that you are ASSUMING will win a GP?
I guess Schuey, Alonso and Kimi are pretty certain. Well, as certain as motor racing can be.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1525541)   #25
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
I guess Schuey, Alonso and Kimi are pretty certain. Well, as certain as motor racing can be.
Going on preseason form, I am not sure Kimi or JPM will be certainties to get regular wins. Information at hand suggests the engine is not reliable and the car not as good as they were hoping.

I know it is all based on the shaky logic of preseason testing but these factors along with no Friday car imput may have McLaren fighting for "best of the rest" title, as Ferrari did last year.

Last edited by dsg; 18 Feb 2006 at 10:35. Reason: spelling