Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Feb 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1519213)   #1
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who remembers...

i am sure this will bring back mixed memories for some.
how many marshals remember having to deal with car,s and drivers caught in catch fencing.
was it a good thing or not.
for those who dont know this was in use during the late 70,s early 80,s.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1519218)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loved it. It was always fun to (try) to get a car free, caught in the fence. It was safer as well for saloons, as cars didn't roll that often as they do now in graveltraps. Bad for single seater drivers though.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1519283)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best ones of all used to Marshals caught in the catch fencing!
At Silverstone we used to camp in the infield, & on a couple of occasions i can remember jumping down from the clubhouse @ Woodcote & getting entangled, much to the amusement of my equally drunken colleagues.

On a much more serious note, it was one of these same catch fencing posts that claimed Dick Parsons life (F3) in the mid 80's. This was my 1st but unfortunately not last fatality as a marshal.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1519312)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember it well at Silverstone.

I was always concerned when single seaters went in it as the posts could hit the drivers helmet quite hard. It was a pain to pull off cars, took ages to replace and if anybody else went off at the same spot moments later things could get very complicated. Also because it was at an angle to the barrier you couldn't just go straight to the accident as you had to run 20 or 30 yards to the end of the fence and then to the car.

It served it's purpose at the time but was ultimately replaced by sand traps, which have there own problems. Having raced single seaters I would much rather go off into a home made beach than catch fencing, just to save the bodywork if nothing else.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1519548)   #5
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember it all to well and was also at the meeting The Fat Clerk mentions,thankfully not that post though .
On a couple of occasions,can recall going to an incident,picking a suitable path to the car, only to find I,m a couple of rows of catch fencing away .
Wasn't a great fan of it but it was 'derigueur' at the time
Old 10 Feb 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1519638)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fortunately just missed it as a marshal, I arrived about the same time as gravel - actually, sand in those days. As a spectator I used to find it very entertaining.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1519728)   #7
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Best ones of all used to Marshals caught in the catch fencing!
At Silverstone we used to camp in the infield, & on a couple of occasions i can remember jumping down from the clubhouse @ Woodcote & getting entangled, much to the amusement of my equally drunken colleagues.

On a much more serious note, it was one of these same catch fencing posts that claimed Dick Parsons life (F3) in the mid 80's. This was my 1st but unfortunately not last fatality as a marshal.
I was marshalling at that meeting too FC. Not at Woodcote fortunately but my mate Wayne Clarke was I/O at the incident. Most distressing. The guy died at the scene.

Catch fencing was a nightmare really. Because of the angle (to the track) that it had to be placed, you often had to run many yards down the bank before got to the right row to access the scene of the carnage. Also, the repairs necessary after an incident resulted in long delays between sessions.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1519742)   #8
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having started in 1980, I remember catch fencing well. I was also at Silverstone the day after Dick Parsons accident and it clearly left a lasting impression on those involved.

Whilst it may have been a step in the right direction, I certainly don't miss it. Working with gravel traps, Recticel or substantial tyre barrers is definitely preferred.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1519748)   #9
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been watching DVDs of the '85 GP season recently, where catch fencing was still used at some circuits (i remember Paul Ricard was one). I've never marshalled with it, but just watching the races and some cars going in to it, it scared the hell outta me. I can see the theory might have been good, but in practice it had many drawbacks. It's interesting to see that some places are now removing some gravel traps and going to high-grip asphalt to try and avoid the rolling experienced in single seaters...
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1519762)   #10
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
It's interesting to see that some places are now removing some gravel traps and going to high-grip asphalt to try and avoid the rolling experienced in single seaters...
It does seem as though this is the latest thing. It at least allows the cars to get going again instead of being stuck in the sand or catch fencing. The only problem I see with it is that drivers will tend to use it as often as they can get away with and make it part of the corner.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1519777)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly works well @ Silverstone, I was down @ Stowe a couple of years ago for the G.P & it was excellent.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1519780)   #12
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can well remember as a Clerk trying to persuade the MSA Steward as how little catch-fencing we could get away with replacing so that the Meeting could continue - it was a nightmare for everybody!
Did we ever find out WHOSE idea it was?????
Old 10 Feb 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1519786)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Yeah - The Grim Reaper!
Old 10 Feb 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1519811)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Did we ever find out WHOSE idea it was?????
The guy who ran the fencing company in Towcester!!!???
Old 10 Feb 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1519848)   #15
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
alan raines point about the posts hitting drivers on the head made big headlines back in 1975,when mark donohue crashed,and was hit on the head by a said post.although not killed there and then he did die the next day (i think),due to head injuries sustained in the impact.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1519851)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeman62
alan raines point about the posts hitting drivers on the head made big headlines back in 1975,when mark donohue crashed,and was hit on the head by a said post.although not killed there and then he did die the next day (i think),due to head injuries sustained in the impact.
I seem to remember that Donohue went into a big advertising hoarding and it was one of the posts from that structure which did the damage. The same thing though.

I witnessed several damaged crash helmets from catch fence posts.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1519853)   #17
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am too young to have dealt with catch fencing on circuits, but from experience of rally cars through fencing it seems like a nightmare on a circuit, we once had a Pug 205 through a barbed wire fence, he shot off as we were disentangling him, barbed wire flailing everywhere, tore the arse out of my Brother-in laws trousers and sliced his hand open, and whipped a spectator up in the air to land on his elbow, breaking it in lots of places.
Was there any system to stop single seater drivers slicing their heads off?
Old 10 Feb 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1519862)   #18
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs
Was there any system to stop single seater drivers slicing their heads off?
Yes - they ducked!

Joking apart. They ran the Kart Grand Prix and the Bike Grand Prix when they had catch fencing and that was even more dangerous.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1519863)   #19
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Dick Parsons died in an F3 car @ Silverstone when he went through the Catch fencing @ Woodcote & one of the posts went through his helmet (& head).
Old 10 Feb 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1519965)   #20
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
oh well wrong again.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4030830)   #21
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
François Hesnault left the Brabham team after getting trapped in catch fencing whilst testing at Ricard in 85. I think it was the last straw for his confidence after a difficult start to the season.
When you think of what happened to poor Elio in 86 you can imagine how Frankie felt being trapped in a car that could be about to catch fire. Running the family transport business probably seemed a lot easier pastime.