Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jun 2007, 14:42 (Ref:1934073)   #51
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I also understand from Leigh Trevail, that The Peter Swinger Memorial Trophy, awarded by Swinger's widow, Kay, for the driver of the race who best displayed the competitive spirit of her late husband, was given to Karl Wetherell who finished 18th in his Triumph TR4.
It's good that Peter Swinger is being remembered. His untimely death was a tragic loss to motor sport, particularly the historic side and I still miss the benefit of his advice and wise council, as well as his delightful sense of humour.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1934093)   #52
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John T,hence my question ,"Should I invest In something a bit Quicker".I,m not knocking the fact that there are so many Sp/Racers,I,m thinking about moving away from the "B"!.Seem,s to me there,s a bit more fun in going quicker.

John G-I suppose the problem starts when they all decide to come in for thier change over at once! CCTV on the pit lane?.It would be good if it,s peeing down!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1934100)   #53
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
John G-I suppose the problem starts when they all decide to come in for thier change over at once! CCTV on the pit lane?.It would be good if it,s peeing down!
No - the problem, as you so rightly pointed out earlier, is adrenaline! LOL I'm sure everybody leaves the briefing with the best of intentions to 'do the right thing' but in the heat of the race, it all gets forgotten!
We do have CCTV covering the pit lane but the resolution isn't really high enough to show the kind of things we're talking about - remember that on the CCTV footage on CrimeWatch, the balaclavas are being worn for a different reason!
Seriously, we already have some good plans to get it much fairer and safer next time
Old 11 Jun 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1934154)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
John T,hence my question ,"Should I invest In something a bit Quicker".I,m not knocking the fact that there are so many Sp/Racers,I,m thinking about moving away from the "B"!.Seem,s to me there,s a bit more fun in going quicker.
I was bemoaning the fact to someone over the weekend that there were no Ginetta G12s which I reckon were the true predecessors of the Chevron B6/B8, so I reckon that's what you should get; must have the bigger engine, though!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1934159)   #55
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Gee,now that was funny!

John T,When you say the bigger engine,you mean the legal version I take it Only one problem,where would I find one!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1934170)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
John T,When you say the bigger engine,you mean the legal version I take it Only one problem,where would I find one!
Yes, of course, legal! If I recall correctly there were 3 engine sizes fitted in period, the biggest of which was, I think, 1594cc. Look, I've saved your brain by making the decision for you; I'll let you do the finding! Actually, I think a few when to Japan, so perhaps Drifty might help!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1934209)   #57
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I[hopefully!]Have got two Healeys going out there,when the pound devalues,that is,perhaps I could do an exchange!!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1934245)   #58
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC

The sight of those F5000 cars was a better turn out than the first F5000 race at Snetterton in period.

On that day i was disappionted that the championship leader Peter Gethin's Church Farm Racing McLaren M10 B was a non arrival.

The battle on Saturday between Nick Shrigley-Fiegl's Lola T300 & Nick Barnby former clubmans driver's Modus F2 was epic.

The five cars at the front of the Saloon race 1 was also thrilling The Mustang of Nigel Vaulkhard held up Bob Bullens Anglia 105e for much of the race allowing Les Ely in the BMW 2000 to close in and drag both Jonathan Gomm & Louis Bracey both in Lotus Cortina's

On the last lap Ely tried to out brake everyone including 2 back markers , he left his braking way too late and took the shortcut to victory. However the officials correctly gave him a time penalty giving victory to Jonathan Gomm.

Pete
Old 11 Jun 2007, 19:18 (Ref:1934289)   #59
gojo
Rookie

gojo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by petestenning
The sight of those F5000 cars was a better turn out than the first F5000 race at Snetterton in period.

On that day i was disappionted that the championship leader Peter Gethin's Church Farm Racing McLaren M10 B was a non arrival.

The battle on Saturday between Nick Shrigley-Fiegl's Lola T300 & Nick Barnby former clubmans driver's Modus F2 was epic.

The five cars at the front of the Saloon race 1 was also thrilling The Mustang of Nigel Vaulkhard held up Bob Bullens Anglia 105e for much of the race allowing Les Ely in the BMW 2000 to close in and drag both Jonathan Gomm & Louis Bracey both in Lotus Cortina's

On the last lap Ely tried to out brake everyone including 2 back markers , he left his braking way too late and took the shortcut to victory. However the officials correctly gave him a time penalty giving victory to Jonathan Gomm.

Pete
What a wise and observant fellow that clerk of the course is!!

J.G.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 19:34 (Ref:1934307)   #60
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

You may think that - I couldn't possibly comment!!!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1934404)   #61
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Joe, you deserved that victory. Great driving in both races; shame about the second race.

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Jun 2007 at 07:48.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1934430)   #62
gojo
Rookie

gojo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Jo, you deserved that victory. Great driving in both races; shame about the second race.
thanks John, would have helped if I hadn't switched the ignition off in race two!!

Any photos?

Joe.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 04:08 (Ref:1934625)   #63
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Swinger

I am also very pleased that Peter is being remembered.

He was a lovely man that together with his delightful wife Kay, I got to know very well.

You are so right John, he left this world way too soon.

Paula Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
It's good that Peter Swinger is being remembered. His untimely death was a tragic loss to motor sport, particularly the historic side and I still miss the benefit of his advice and wise council, as well as his delightful sense of humour.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 05:40 (Ref:1934662)   #64
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some amatuer clips from snetterton are here on youtube, Note Jo two clips of the Saloon cars which include you in the top one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrUleORxJT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWh32FC3dOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0nNa...e=user&search=

The amatuer bit is when yours truly forgot to switch off before filming the grass under my feet
It was my first effort.

Pete
Old 12 Jun 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1934720)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo
thanks John, would have helped if I hadn't switched the ignition off in race two!!

Any photos? Joe.
Joe, when I saw you trickle into, and then stop at the entrance to the pitlane, I thought that you had lost all gears until suddenly you shot off again!

Yes, there will be pics but I'm playing catch up at the moment and am off to Le Mans on thursday, so probably won't be able to put many up until next week.

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Jun 2007 at 07:50.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 07:56 (Ref:1934733)   #66
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by petestenning
The amatuer bit is when yours truly forgot to switch off before filming the grass under my feet
It was my first effort. Pete
Pete, nice one; I think that I must have seen you, since I noted a lone camcorder user at Russells. I've got hundreds of hours footage of meetings I attended between 1997 -2005 when I filmed as much of the racing as possible, and yes, I had plenty of those 'grassy failed to switch off'' moments!
Old 12 Jun 2007, 17:17 (Ref:1935242)   #67
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock

As Andrew has put up a number of Pit & Paddock shots, I'll restrict myself to just 3!

The Morgan Plus 4 of Malcolm Paul and Rob Wells was one of the oldest cars entered for the 3 hour race:-

Very smart Lotus 59 brought over from France for the Historic FF1600 race and driven by Carol Quinion:-

Michael Schryver fuels up the Chevron B6:-

And one qualifying shot of the Chevron B8 of Charles Allison and Philip Nelson, at Russells:-
Old 12 Jun 2007, 18:02 (Ref:1935285)   #68
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice pics John. It was a really great meeting.
Sorry to be 'picky', but you have caught the TV commentator disease!
They often get it wrong by saying 'Russells'. It should be Russell (Russell chicane named after Jim Russell) likewise many say 'Sears' corner thinking it is named after Jack, it is not, it is Sear (named after Oliver Sear).
Carry on.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1935306)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I was just being lazy, I should have put an apostrophe in! Although it is a chicane the programme map always alludes to Russell Bend.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 18:28 (Ref:1935317)   #70
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What they should do is put the proper Russell bend back, as was from '67 to the early 90s, complete with close earth banks. That sorted the men from the boys, testing those brave enough to take it 'flat' !
Old 13 Jun 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1935683)   #71
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
our race was like the Curate's Egg but am definately looking forward to next years race, and next year Terry and I will be more observant of 911's cornering styles!
Re marshalling I was certainly a victim to those jumping the start and racing before we passed teh lights, annoyingly I didnt join in as I thought that they would all get done!
I was staying with a family friend nearby who has been associated with the circuit since it started as a sprint track. She was very involved in the instigation of both the Willhire and teh original FF Festival as well as being Jim Russell's time keeper at Le Mans when he raced there. When she saw the photograph on the plaques we were all given showing the start of teh first Autosport 3 Hour in 1964 she was able to able to show me where she was standing and the gossip..... well I hope she puts it onto paper one day!
Did everyone else know that teh red telephpne box opposite the pits was for a long time the only landline at Snetterton?!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1935761)   #72
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Did everyone else know that teh red telephpne box opposite the pits was for a long time the only landline at Snetterton?!
Yes, I remember sitting in the grandstand next to that phone box in the late 60s, observing a couple of well known drivers queuing up to use the phone, Hailwood & Gardner I think it was, hence a good time to pop down and get autographs! There was of course a footbridge back then across from the paddock. I am told by Snett staff the phone in there works and BT still come to empty the money from it!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1935869)   #73
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Re marshalling I was certainly a victim to those jumping the start and racing before we passed teh lights, annoyingly I didnt join in as I thought that they would all get done!
Simon, if you are referring to the race start then you are free to race once the red lights go out, not when you cross the line. The reverse is true however on a restart after a safety car, when you must maintain position until passing the green flag displayed on the start line. Hope that helps for the future.

Overall though it seems that it was enjoyed by all, competitors, spectators and marshals so here's hoping it's repeated next year.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1935871)   #74
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
What they should do is put the proper Russell bend back, as was from '67 to the early 90s, complete with close earth banks. That sorted the men from the boys, testing those brave enough to take it 'flat' !
Hear hear! The present effort is a contender for the world's worst corner. The rest of the track is fabulous.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1935872)   #75
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was sure that the drivers briefing said that as it was a rolling start you had to maintain position until you passed the lights in the same way that you do at Spa. Anyway it was a cracking weekend and like everyone else look forward to next year