Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 28 May 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2214051)   #1
phantom lunger
Rookie

phantom lunger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aluminum pistons for brake calipers

I am looking at replacing my old pistons in my brake calipers on my formula ford. I'm not to keen to replace them with standard AP ones as the plating tends to flake off on contact with the pads and then starts to rust. I have come across a supplier of hard anodised aluminium pistons for ap brake calipers and obviously I am quite attracted to them due to weight/corrosion advantages etc. they are roughly the same cost as standard steel ones. My only concern is the heat transfer properties of aluminium. i.e will they make the brake fluid prone to boiling more than steel ones and also is there a chance they could seize upon expansion. any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28 May 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2214064)   #2
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm no expert, but aluminium is over 5 times more effective at conducting heat than steel, and 15 times more effective than stainless steel.

If you can get stainless steel pistons, with no plating to flake, they would probably be your best bet, but aluminium would not appear to be a good idea.
Old 28 May 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2214082)   #3
Speedy1
Rookie

United Nations
100km north of San Fransisco
Speedy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
common in bicycle land

aluminum pistons in aluminum housings is common on bicycle disc brakes
although a word of caution
it is possible to transfer enough heat to melt the plastic supply line and loose the brakes on a 65 mph downhill ! ! ! !

supply lines on a car are no doubt better?

worth a try with a temp monitor system
Old 28 May 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2214137)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alumium pistions heat up too much. Go with Stainless Steel
Old 29 May 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2214303)   #5
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alloy doesn't like fast heat cycles either

Anyone heard of Titanium being used? I think it would be just about the perfect material

(No, I am not suggesting you buy the for you FF, 10 sets of tyres would be a better investment to increase your return! More a general question to the masses)
Old 29 May 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2214698)   #6
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought..

What brake temps are involved, what type/grade of steel and what type of coating do the pistons have on them?

Would the heat treatment process of nitriding be a good thing to do for brake pistons? It would increase surface hardness, wear resistance and massively reduce the oxidisation problem you have.. Im not sure how the currently unknown brake temps would affect these qualities though. Id speak to the metalurgist at your local Heat treatments company, as if its an option.. it would probably be the cheapest one.
Old 29 May 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2214748)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I had no end of trouble with mine, the heat build up was so great it would constantly melt the seals. I ended up going back to cast callipers with steel pistons.
This was however on inboard Jaguar rear brakes so maybe if they could have been larger the problem may not have occurred.
Old 29 May 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2214968)   #8
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about extra air flow Falcemob?
Old 1 Jun 2008, 03:26 (Ref:2216249)   #9
sereneseven
Rookie

United States
mooresville, NC
sereneseven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add a little to this topic... hard anodized alum. pistons are used in nearly all current racing calipers (ap,alcon,brembo..etc) the key is that all of manufactures also fit some kind of heat sink in between the piston and the brake pad backing plate the most common design is a Ti spacer apx. 3/16" thick and is cross drilled to allow airflow between the pad and piston These heat sinks are available for most common sized pistons from most of manufactures separately.