Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Jun 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3827452)   #8501
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
I'm not sure that ACO and the spectators would appreciate such a come back after Porsche have left the championship.
I agree that chance of that happening is zero for the reason you mention.

Richard
Old 28 Jun 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3833468)   #8502
Yuri G.
Rookie

Yuri G. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are back https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkh5mAVD...y=onelapheroes
Old 29 Jun 2018, 06:02 (Ref:3833537)   #8503
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
https://twitter.com/Porsche_Team/sta...69931219599360

It's happening today.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 06:52 (Ref:3833542)   #8504
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Will they do it, I think they will.. curious about the time they are going to realise
Old 29 Jun 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3833545)   #8505
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
First lap of the day - 5:24. Bye bye record. https://twitter.com/Andrew_Frankel/s...93680430059520
Old 29 Jun 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3833556)   #8506
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
https://twitter.com/nuerburgring/sta...04454661738497

5:19.546
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3833559)   #8507
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Funny that this thread is in the ACO regulated section

When that car is no longer ACO regulated

Would have been so much better if they just used a normal 919.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3833561)   #8508
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is impressive but I really wish the press would stop comparing it to F1 lap times, LMP1's etc etc.

They comply with strict rules, this feat of engineering doesn't so it just devalues both sides by making comparisons like that IMO.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3833575)   #8509
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
It is impressive but I really wish the press would stop comparing it to F1 lap times, LMP1's etc etc.

They comply with strict rules, this feat of engineering doesn't so it just devalues both sides by making comparisons like that IMO.
yes and no ...

I agree it is quite useless to compare this against a F1 laptime or a WEC car lap time.
Then again comparing a 2018 F1 laptime against an older F1 laptime is equally useless because of the difference in regulation:
* different engine, turbo/no turbo, (K)ERS/no (K)ERS
* different tire makes, grooves or no grooves even
* different aero regulation
* active suspension

and yet we/they do that all the time.

The same goes for GT against GT, LMP against LMP, WEC against WEC etc ...

On the other hand, what they have achieved is the outright fastest lap at this track.

It can only be the outright fastest lap ever when you compare it with (and beat) every other formula in every other ruleset that's ever been running around there.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3833576)   #8510
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post

But like it or loath it, that is the whole reason Porsche are doing it - they would not get the required publicity if the comparisons to F1 were not made.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3833582)   #8511
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I'm more impressed with this than toyota beating a bunch of privateers.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3833587)   #8512
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
And, ladies and gents, we have an onboard video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug
Old 29 Jun 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3833588)   #8513
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Toyota had to beat the privateers and the track. Remember what happened at Le Mans 2016.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3833589)   #8514
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
And, ladies and gents, we have an onboard video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug
holy f*ck that looks insane, what a speed!
Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3833593)   #8515
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Can't fail to be impressed with that speed on a windy, narrow stretch of tarmac, with barriers close by. Mega
Old 29 Jun 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3833612)   #8516
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Need to know how the boosting system works on this car, the driver seem to tap into ever differing time spans of boost through the lap, might be for a half second, but then onto the straight is about 4 seconds of full boost.

Is that stored, or harvested or a mixture of the two?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3833614)   #8517
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Watched the full lap this morning at work. Pretty sure gasps were heard all around the office...

I calculated the top speed in MPH down the Döttinger Höhe at around 220? And man!! Timo's got to have a headache / sore neck after this!
Old 29 Jun 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3833616)   #8518
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Need to know how the boosting system works on this car, the driver seem to tap into ever differing time spans of boost through the lap, might be for a half second, but then onto the straight is about 4 seconds of full boost.

Is that stored, or harvested or a mixture of the two?
My guess is a mix of both, and that the boost at high speed is from a recharge from the MGU-H that's downstream of the turbo.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3833628)   #8519
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Why Porsche do not try to beat the land speed record now? It will be good to keep their ego in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post

Definitely Toyota challenge was much bigger. They were not lapping by their own.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3833639)   #8520
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Did they avoid the lower bowl, the concrete portion, at Karussell because it is too rough?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3833640)   #8521
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Egads! I remember reading the commentary of Ickx's 7:14 pole back in 1972 as jaw dropping. I don't think anyone could ever fathom Porsche's time today.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3833644)   #8522
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Watched the full lap this morning at work. Pretty sure gasps were heard all around the office...

I calculated the top speed in MPH down the Döttinger Höhe at around 220? And man!! Timo's got to have a headache / sore neck after this!
I think the peak was 369 kmh. Not sure if that was at the Döttinger Höhe or not (I am not that familiar with the different names on the track), but I think it is. It's at 04:59 in the video.
369 kmh translates to 229 mph if I'm correct.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3833645)   #8523
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
5:19.546. Wow.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3833646)   #8524
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think the peak was 369 kmh. Not sure if that was at the Döttinger Höhe or not (I am not that familiar with the different names on the track), but I think it is. It's at 04:59 in the video.
369 kmh translates to 229 mph if I'm correct.
It was at 369 half-way down the Döttinger Höhe before it ran out of electric boost and started slowing down from aero drag.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3833649)   #8525
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It was at 369 half-way down the Döttinger Höhe before it ran out of electric boost and started slowing down from aero drag.
And going uphill too. I read on twitter he had to take the high line in the karussel to avoid bottoming out the car and damaging the underbody aero/sideskirts. You can see him avoiding curbs the entire lap as well. As fast as this lap is, there's even more in it because of things like that. Amazing. Regardless of how anyone feels on rules or not, it's still an awesome lap.