Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Feb 2004, 18:02 (Ref:868538)   #26
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had this arguement with my Motorsport engineering course tutor. Dave is right and after writing a 5000 word essay I changed my course tutor's mind. If you read A level physics books you will find that all the old ones talk about centrifugal, then by the early 90s they talk about both and why centrifugal doesnt exist, nowadays they dont even mention centrifugal force.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 18:28 (Ref:868578)   #27
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting back to pendulums...

AFAIK BMW used a pendulum to effect cornering not by changing anything on the suspension but by braking the inside wheels whilst lateral force was exerted on the car... i.e. during a corner the car would be dragged round with the inside brakes slightly applied without the driver touching anything.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 05:34 (Ref:869069)   #28
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find ( or I am led to believe anyway) that it infact worked by limiting the amount of brake pressure to the inside wheel when lateral G's began to develop and thus allowed braking deep into the corner without locking the inside wheel.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 10 Feb 2004, 08:56 (Ref:869183)   #29
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure to be honest, only know what I have read... My way makes sense to me, working the same way as the Mclaren fiddle brakes but controlled by a pendulum instead of the driver....
Old 10 Feb 2004, 13:23 (Ref:869467)   #30
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmm since I did all my study in the 80's and very early nineties that might explain my standpoint...... It would appear I'm out of date....

Steve McQueen
Old 10 Feb 2004, 13:37 (Ref:869483)   #31
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Revracing
Mmmm since I did all my study in the 80's and very early nineties that might explain my standpoint...... It would appear I'm out of date....
I studied engineering in the early 1960s; looks like I'm ahead of my time!

It just goes to show......what Huddersfield does today, the rest of the world does tomorrow!
Old 10 Feb 2004, 22:49 (Ref:870035)   #32
Onlooker
Veteran

Well the same thing appeared in Australia and was banned (once the scutineers were told about it) and it was deemed to be anti-lock brakes!! The thing was that the rules stated that no electronic anti-lock brakes were permitted and the team argued that since it was mechanical that they were unaware that it was not permitted,they were allowed to use it for the remainder of the year,when the rules were re written.
PS they only used it at stop start type tracks and were awsome under brakes.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 11 Feb 2004, 02:44 (Ref:870190)   #33
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the brake adjusting thingamajig, I used to have an Alfa 33 (don't laugh, if was a good little jigger while it held together) and it had a brake balance on it that worked off rear suspension load (ie the less wieght equals less braking).

If the same thing was fitted but working from side to side instead of from front to rear, it would do what BMW is purported to have done - seems pretty easy - must be some sort of catch to it?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 03:32 (Ref:870208)   #34
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What class was the AFAIK BMW?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 06:01 (Ref:870254)   #35
Onlooker
Veteran

The 2 litre BMW's had it over here and I believe that was how the cat got out of the bag,when the car was sold and the old team returned to collect something about the size of a shoe box mounted to the fire wall.The team that was using it in V8's had links to a team running a couple of station wagons in BTCC

Old 12 Feb 2004, 13:08 (Ref:871845)   #36
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks.