Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Jun 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2217899)   #1
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weber tech question?

Hello,

I am trying to sell two brand new 45 weber dcoe for my dad, I am the first to admit I am got the greatest regarding technical things but I have been asked about progression holes?? Now I followed the mans requests and he said that they was not what he wanted?? Which has left me very confused??

So what are progression holes??
If I go on to weber sites you can only buy weber 45 dcoes as standard?? (am I correct or can you state progression holes??)

Be very graifull for any help on this??

Many thanks

Daj
Old 2 Jun 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2217971)   #2
kimbo
Rookie

England
West Sussex
kimbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The progression holes are drilled into the carb bodies and (I think) are there to help reduce any flat spot as you come off of the idle position.
Older carbs have three holes as far as I recall and the newer ones I think have five.
Older carbs can be modded to new spec by Weber at their works which is somewhere West of London. Google them and I'm sure you'll find the site.
This is a precision job - dont be tempted to get the black & decker out!!
I think it costs £30 - 40 per carb to have the mod done.

Kim.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2218080)   #3
daj
Racer

Thanks for that Kimbo, The carbs I am selling are 3 holes not 5 which is what the chap was asking, and after said he wasnt interested

So how many people worry about this when buying carbs?? My old man has been in the historic motorsport trade for years and was scratching his head too.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2218097)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
So how many people worry about this when buying carbs?? My old man has been in the historic motorsport trade for years and was scratching his head too.
It depends how many people know about them, I didn't when I bought mine and still don't know how many they have as they are under a sealed plug and I can't be arsed to find out.
What chokes and auxilleries do they have?
Old 2 Jun 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2218151)   #5
daj
Racer

Quote:
they are under a sealed plug
Hhmmm I was told to look under the throttle butterfly part, there was three tiny holes in a diamond shape.

The Carbs are brand new in boxes, So what ever the standard factory chokes etc are is whats on them.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2218159)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
Different sets of progression holes suit different engines and setups. There are quite a few types of 45DCOE, but some are very rare as they were specifically set up to match the requirement of a production sports car for a particular manufacturer. These "OEM" carbs tend only to come on the market as second hand items off an old sports car. "Historic" racers may well pay good money for them if they know what car they match and have a need for them. The more common ones, however, were made for the aftermarket and have a generic set of progression holes which may not be perfect for a particular engine, but can be usually be made to work reasonably on most setups. I used to have a set of 45DCOE 152's on my car which were pretty good, but I'm told a set of 45DCOE G9's would be even better. When I changed to my current carbs I put the 152's on ebay and they sold easily. Good luck.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2219800)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daj
Hhmmm I was told to look under the throttle butterfly part, there was three tiny holes in a diamond shape.
Yes, but mine are on the car and I have never fancied taking them off to find out.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2219979)   #8
PAB
Rookie

PAB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webcon UK are the source of new genuine Weber carbs, they used to be called Weber Concessionaires.

www.webcon.co.uk
Old 6 Jun 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2221295)   #9
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 hole carbs are specifically for ford zetec fitment, that engine gets a nasty flat spot if you use normal 3 hole carbs

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 6 Jun 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2221366)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Nice one Graham. Do you know if they have a particular designation stamped on them or other identifying feature visible from the outside?