Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Oct 2018, 18:07 (Ref:3859810)   #101
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
As some of you know I missed 2018 edition.
I have to say that although I missed being in La Sarthe greatly I am not sure that I will be back in 2019.
I'm weighing up a lot of factors at the moment - in no particular order:
Cost seems to go up for everything (notably food and drink in the circuit).
A loss of the "old atmosphere" - the "village" has in my eyes been getting more and more like an F1 circuit every year and the continual evolution of the track into a F1 type open run-off track.
The rest of my group has fallen out of love with the event.
Festivities such as "Mad Friday" being stamped out (too) hard in my opinion.
Safety concerns at the event (inside circuit and campsite).
Lack of competition in the "top class".
Personal factors at home as well.

I'm sure closer to the time I will be tempted again, but at the moment I haven't applied for tickets and haven't renewed my ACO membership.

Personally, I haven't really noticed the cost going up all that much. I suppose as I go each year, a small increase each year doesn't really get noticed all that much. The circuit and environs have changed, but not enough to take away the unmissable atmosphere of the event. Mad Friday was never of any importance to me, I associate it with those who go to get beered up and send fireworks into other peoples' tents..... Exageration I know, but the lunatic fringe do manage to spoil things for a lot of people. As to competition, yes, I understand that one. But then again, I still went in 1992.....
Old 29 Oct 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3859836)   #102
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think le mans is still amazing value, as i tend to eat in the campsite the cost of food and beer has changed little over the last few years, i agree the top class is not looking as competitive as some years but the GT class has never been so interesting IMHO. For me the week is the best holiday one can have.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3860021)   #103
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
For me the week is the best holiday one can have.
And there you have it. Agreed!
Old 5 Nov 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3861095)   #104
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
I´ll be back........
Old 6 Nov 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3861359)   #105
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
I am from Argentina and would like to go and stay there for the week of the race. Having the chance not only to see the 24 hours but also the qualys and the parades in the town. However, I am struggling to find good information online on where to stay being only one person or how to get there if I arrive to London one week before the race. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I have been at Spa last year but that was definitely easier, of course.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3861379)   #106
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
I am from Argentina and would like to go and stay there for the week of the race. Having the chance not only to see the 24 hours but also the qualys and the parades in the town. However, I am struggling to find good information online on where to stay being only one person or how to get there if I arrive to London one week before the race. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I have been at Spa last year but that was definitely easier, of course.
May I direct you to https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153128
Old 6 Nov 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3861385)   #107
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
If you have limited ability to carry stuff then Ken's International campsite would be your best bet, they are a good bunch and will have all the knowledge for a first timer to learn.
However if you do get a camping ticket for tertre Rouge there are plenty of friendly people there as always for you to join as there will be on most of the ACO sites.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3862147)   #108
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If you have limited ability to carry stuff then Ken's International campsite would be your best bet, they are a good bunch and will have all the knowledge for a first timer to learn.
However if you do get a camping ticket for tertre Rouge there are plenty of friendly people there as always for you to join as there will be on most of the ACO sites.
I will definitely not be able to carry camping stuff there. I am going to check Ken's International campsite. Thanks!
Old 10 Nov 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3862176)   #109
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I will definitely not be able to carry camping stuff there. I am going to check Ken's International campsite. Thanks!
I've camped with them 3 times and had a very good experience among the group each time. Definitely recommended, especially if you need the group to help you with the actual camping gear.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3863018)   #110
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ok so having got a GS seat, what do you do for getting around the circuit during the race.
Sorry for the late post. My son and I stayed at the Flexotels a couple of times and really enjoyed it/! You mentioned that you will be arrivig on Wednesday. Get there is time for the free practice. I assume you live in the UK - does Travel Destinations send you the tickets before the race? I have not been to Le Mans nearly as much as most of people posting / they far more wisdom than I! But on Wednesday there is no traffic - so that is the day to drive over to Arnage and Mulsanne. Go straight there is you have your tickets in hand. During the race you willl be stuck in traffic if you drive there. We watched the first session from Arnage corner, during the break drove over to the town of Arnage for dinner and then to Mulsanne for the evenng session. A near by option for eating is the KFC & Italian restaurant right on the Mulsanne straight - about a 10 minute walk from where you will be staying. At the KFC you can see the cars flying down the Mulsanne! The Italian restaurant is open on Sunday evening.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3863097)   #111
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
During the race you willl be stuck in traffic if you drive there.

You can drive to Arnage and Mulsanne during the race. Do it about midnight/1 am. I'm not joking either. I had no trouble at all this year which was my first driving myself. Piece of cake. Provided that you don't have the irrational need to sleep on this one brilliant night of the year.....
Old 14 Nov 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3863264)   #112
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We always do the arnarge/mulsanne trip on thursday evening plenty of action and much easier to get thier and back, if you drive during the race you will end uo sitting in the car for hours rather that actually watching much racing
Old 14 Nov 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3863278)   #113
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We always do the arnarge/mulsanne trip on thursday evening plenty of action and much easier to get thier and back, if you drive during the race you will end uo sitting in the car for hours rather that actually watching much racing
It really does depend when during the race you go. We simply keep an eye on the traffic flow on the road behind the tribunes as an indicator of weight of traffic between our car park and the Arnage enclosure and find that to be pretty reliable. Once the road is clear and the traffic has been moving freely for a while, we go. This year the traffic cleared far earlier than usual, so we made our way there earlier than usual. The downside was that the spectator banks at Arnage were absolutely heaving!
Old 14 Nov 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3863352)   #114
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It is a myth that you can't get out to Arnage/Idianapolis during the race, but hey ho - as long as you get out there to see some action in the dark, whether that's during the race or during qually, then you won't regret it.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3863369)   #115
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
It was a formality, but still happy to know that my annual summer leave request for june 1st up until june 17th has been granted
Old 15 Nov 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3863495)   #116
Black Granny
Rookie

Black Granny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be there on Tertre Rouge as usual
Old 16 Nov 2018, 01:17 (Ref:3863563)   #117
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, if the ACO lets me and I have recovered from the Florida triple-header* in March, I plan to be at the second chicane once again. As others have said, it's changed a lot since I started going in 2004, but it's an addiction I can't shake.

*Indycar St Pete/WEC/Sebring 12
Old 16 Nov 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3863610)   #118
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Granny View Post
Will be there on Tertre Rouge as usual
Hi Rick! Good to hear! Won't be buying any of your surplus TR tickets this year, so hopefully nobody of your gang will drop out!

Edit: Just read your post on campsite tickets so you won't be selling, but buying I see. Will keep a look out.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3869385)   #119
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
I am very happy to say I plan to be there! I finally found a friend to share expenses and decided to go for the flexotel within the circuit (if I am going to do it once in my life, I want to make the most of it).

Now I have a questions for those experienced attending to this race. Would the general ticket be enough or is it worth it to buy a grandstand ticket? And if it is worth it, which grandstand would you pick?
Old 11 Dec 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3869391)   #120
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I leave 6 months today, assuming our so-called government hasn't destroyed our right to travel beyond British territorial waters by then...
Old 11 Dec 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3869402)   #121
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I am very happy to say I plan to be there! I finally found a friend to share expenses and decided to go for the flexotel within the circuit (if I am going to do it once in my life, I want to make the most of it).

Now I have a questions for those experienced attending to this race. Would the general ticket be enough or is it worth it to buy a grandstand ticket? And if it is worth it, which grandstand would you pick?
I will say yes, definitely worth it. Simon will tell you no, you don't need one. And indeed you don't. But for the start of the race and the end, it's invaluable, IMO. After several years in T17 (Durand) I am returning to T34 next year (above the pits).
Old 11 Dec 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3869437)   #122
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Yes, this is our first time too and we booked the Flexotel. We have a general ticket and a Grandstand but I don't recall which one right now.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3871763)   #123
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still debating 2019...

Next attendance will be my 30th so might wait for the new regs and hopefully an overall battle for the win.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3871810)   #124
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Gavin what is there to debate?. you know you want to
Old 21 Dec 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3871856)   #125
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Waiting....? You know what dear old Steve thought about that.........