Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Jul 2020, 16:54 (Ref:3990016)   #51
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
You'd have thought it'd be an easy enough thing to personalise - select your chosen sound from a menu (much like selecting a radio station or whatever).
If I were a luxury manufacturer, I wouldn't like customers to easily pick a tacky artificial noise. Instead I would charge them extra!

Quote:
But however they make noise they do need to make some - a friend of mine is registered blind and they hate electric cars - they're too quiet, they need to be heard approaching!
That's obvious, yet it's still not required in most of the world.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 06:54 (Ref:3990107)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Opinion: An electric performance future needs sounds of the past

The thought is put forward that EVs still need to retain some form of engine note?

'A number of EVs have had a stab at artificially generated sound, but pretty much all emit a humming, sci-fi whoosh deemed suitably space-age for the new electric generation. The Taycan’s isn’t too offensive, but I’m finding myself increasingly convinced that more brands need to have a crack at offering realistic combustion engine notes in their EVs.'

Thoughts? Personally, I feel it would be wrong for an EV to try and sound like a combustion engine. Why try to be something it is not? I think it should be accepted that an EV is different - and that can also go through to the looks as well as sound. Why does the typical family/small car have to have power unit in front of the cabin, with the storage at the back and the fuel source somewhere around the rear seats? It is a practical design choice for an ICE car, but is it the best choice for EVs?
Regarding your final paragraph I agree entirely. For safety reasons it would be good for them to emit some kind of sound, especially at lower speeds used in built up areas as even as I sighted pedestrian I do (maybe foolishly) rely on my hearing when stepping out to cross the road. I certainly don't think that they should imitate an ICE engine however, they shouldn't be pretending to be something that they are not, they should be proudly showing that they are not ICE powered. (I think this is similar with what is happening in the food industry. As someone who is most certainly NOT a vegetarian I personally feel that it is hypocritical that some vegetarian food is produced to look as closely as possible like real meat products!)
Old 22 Jul 2020, 19:22 (Ref:3990258)   #53
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Regarding your final paragraph I agree entirely. For safety reasons it would be good for them to emit some kind of sound, especially at lower speeds used in built up areas as even as I sighted pedestrian I do (maybe foolishly) rely on my hearing when stepping out to cross the road. I certainly don't think that they should imitate an ICE engine however, they shouldn't be pretending to be something that they are not, they should be proudly showing that they are not ICE powered.
Having been passed by a couple of electric motorcycles while out on a bike ride on Monday, I certainly heard them coming from behind due to a very pronounced whine from the motors, so why not have somethng that amplifies the motor sound or the tyre noise?
Old 23 Jul 2020, 06:46 (Ref:3990302)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe our roads are in a worse state up here, but on approach, EVs seem to sound the same to me, as the road noise is usually louder than engine noise anyway?
Old 23 Jul 2020, 14:10 (Ref:3990387)   #55
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Maybe our roads are in a worse state up here, but on approach, EVs seem to sound the same to me, as the road noise is usually louder than engine noise anyway?
Above a certain speed (can't remember what it is) tyre noise becomes louder than engine noise. In urban environments (where speed is lower) then engine noise (or lack thereof) is a greater factor.

There's a clip online somewhere of Opel testing an electric Corsa rally car - the noise it makes is depressing. It's all irritating whine and tyre squeal (like Formula E). Please, please can someone find a way of making an electric car sound good. There must be a way to make the airflow over/under/through the body produce sound.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3990395)   #56
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Please, please can someone find a way of making an electric car sound good. There must be a way to make the airflow over/under/through the body produce sound.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3990406)   #57
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Nailed it
Old 23 Jul 2020, 21:55 (Ref:3990488)   #58
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Our area in Spain has been used to test new cars ever since we first came down here in 1972. We often see them parked up in the street or in hotel car parks where the testers are staying. As we have a lot of off road dirt tracks out in the campo they are driven at speed in temperatures of up to 45c to try and iron out faults.
This is a Merc SUV in the normal camouflage
Click image for larger version

Name:	2560_3000-5.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	63297
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Jul 2020, 07:01 (Ref:3990525)   #59
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Our area in Spain has been used to test new cars ever since we first came down here in 1972. We often see them parked up in the street or in hotel car parks where the testers are staying. As we have a lot of off road dirt tracks out in the campo they are driven at speed in temperatures of up to 45c to try and iron out faults.
This is a Merc SUV in the normal camouflage
Attachment 63297
Is that a variant of the upcoming EQE? There are two planned versions, or so rumours suggest:

'However, the sighting of this moderately disguised prototype in Germany suggests the EQE SUV could have been moved up the product plan in terms of priority. Although some rumours circulating suggest it's a new version of the EQC, that car is only a year old, so this is highly unlikely. '
Old 24 Jul 2020, 07:11 (Ref:3990526)   #60
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
On a different note - does 1400hp make the car worthy of the Mustang name?

'This Prototype Ford Mustang Mach E Has 1400bhp And Seven Motors'
Old 26 Jul 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3990922)   #61
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Above a certain speed (can't remember what it is) tyre noise becomes louder than engine noise. In urban environments (where speed is lower) then engine noise (or lack thereof) is a greater factor.

There's a clip online somewhere of Opel testing an electric Corsa rally car - the noise it makes is depressing. It's all irritating whine and tyre squeal (like Formula E). Please, please can someone find a way of making an electric car sound good. There must be a way to make the airflow over/under/through the body produce sound.
Our roads here must be in a worse state, as even in city, I hear road noise only. Just a week or so ago an i3 drove by me and I was surprised at the amount of noise the tyres were making.
Old 26 Jul 2020, 23:46 (Ref:3990943)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What’s up with the roads? Cracked? Potholes? Better inform your councils, although that’s easier said than done. Although maybe the I3 is just harder on it’s tyres lol
Old 27 Jul 2020, 07:38 (Ref:3990963)   #63
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Our roads here must be in a worse state, as even in city, I hear road noise only. Just a week or so ago an i3 drove by me and I was surprised at the amount of noise the tyres were making.
The road noise might be a potential solution to the issue of EVs being quite near pedestrians. I know certain road surfaces are designed to cause vibration in a car to warn the driver of lane departure or approaching hazards - could the same be possible outside the car?

If the road surface was designed to deliberately cause noise - it would make no difference what vehicle was travelling on the road, the noise would be a warning to pedestrians nearby?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 07:41 (Ref:3990964)   #64
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Nissan are the focus of a couple of stories at the moment.

The experience from the Leaf has meant that the Ariya may have an advantage of rivals in the development stakes.

“The Ariya is massive for us,” said Gareth Dunsmore, Nissan Europe’s vice-president of marketing for digital customer experience and connected cars. “Historically, we’ve been strong when challenging what’s around us. With the Qashqai, we punched above our weight as a Japanese challenger brand in Europe, and we’ve done the same with the Leaf.

“They brought people to the brand and take notice of us. Combining those two things into one, while showcasing our commitment to electrification and sustainable mobility, will help position us and clarify to customers in Europe what we really stand for. The Ariya is the perfect vehicle for the perfect time in Europe. And the broader need to bring customers to zero-emission vehicles is where our focus is.

Whilst a larger still SUV is being planned:

Nissan Europe’s EV boss, Helen Perry, hinted at the large SUV, saying: “The platform will be used for other cars in the future. The C-SUV and D-SUV segments are due to grow about 300% over the next three years, so we will look to use the platform in growth segments in the next few years.”

Nissan has pledged that 50% of its line-up by 2023 will be electrified, but Perry wouldn’t divulge if the next EV will arrive by that date.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3990977)   #65
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
'This Prototype Ford Mustang Mach E Has 1400bhp And Seven Motors'
As expected, it didn't take long before footage of Ken Block behind the wheel was published:

'Yes, but it doesn’t sound like any beast we’ve ever heard, those seven motors whining away like a horde of ethereal spirits being tortured by listening to the worst performers on Pop Idol.

Despite admitting his brain couldn’t ‘calibrate’ to the throttle, the big man does his level best – while keeping the world’s best poker face – to set each and every tyre on fire.'

I guess a horde of ethereal spirits being tortured is a good enough sound to warn others of your presence?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 09:05 (Ref:3990985)   #66
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
For those looking at a larger, family-friendly EV. (Or taxi use).

Start of Sales for the new Mercedes-Benz eVito Tourer

'The new Mercedes-Benz eVito Tourer takes over the look of the Vito with combustion engine. However under the front sits the electric powertrain (eATS), which drives the front wheels with a peak power of 150 kW. The energy is stored in a lithium-ion battery in the underbody of the vehicle, whose deep and central arrangement has a positive effect on the driving behavior of the eVito Tourer. The top speeds of 140 km/h in series and 160 km/h as optional equipment ensure a rapid advance even away from urban traffic.'
Old 27 Jul 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3991114)   #67
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Is that a variant of the upcoming EQE? There are two planned versions, or so rumours suggest:

That looks GLA-sized.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3991115)   #68
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
That looks GLA-sized.
It's a lot bigger than that - maybe the 'camouflage' works?

It's using the same MEA platform of the EQE saloon and EQS, and is a similar size to the Tesla Model X.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 18:56 (Ref:3991118)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
For comparison:
EQE, EQS saloons and EQB, EQA SUVs -

Note the presence of the indicators in the mirrors on the EQA/EQB models.
The larger EQE SUV does not have this feature.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 02:35 (Ref:3991158)   #70
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It's a lot bigger than that - maybe the 'camouflage' works?

It's using the same MEA platform of the EQE saloon and EQS, and is a similar size to the Tesla Model X.

Is it just me, or is there a desperate irony in camouflaging a box.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 06:48 (Ref:3991165)   #71
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
We have a whole host of EV News today.

Firstly, Fisker may be about to enter Extreme E

'The Ocean is set to go sale in 2022, with up to 300 miles of range, over 300bhp and a vegan-friendly interior. It’s about the same size as a Tesla Model Y, and in the US should cost less than $30,000 (taking Federal Tax Credits into account). The highest-performance version claims 0-62mph in less than three seconds. '
Old 28 Jul 2020, 06:51 (Ref:3991168)   #72
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
In the world of resto-mods, there are a couple of potential offerings:

Electrified Aston Martin DB6
'Aston Martin Works has turned a petrol DB6 Volante into an ion-fuelled one – and it could be the first of many electric classic Astons'

Mystery Volvo P1800 prototype could be reborn EV version
'Volvo appears to be testing a disguised prototype version of the classic P1800 coupé, leading to speculation that an electric restomod version could be produced in time for its 60th anniversary next year. '

Old 28 Jul 2020, 06:55 (Ref:3991169)   #73
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Whilst on the current/future model front:

New MG 5 electric estate headed to UK
'MG Motor will introduce a new electric estate model in the UK later this year, named MG 5, to sit alongside its ZS affordable EV. '

Next-generation BMW 5 Series and X1 to gain electric versions
'The next-generation BMW 5 Series and BMW X1 will be available with petrol, diesel, plug-in hybrid and battery-electric powertrains as part of BMW's ambition to introduce 25 electrified models by 2023. '

2021 Mercedes-Benz EQS drops disguise for best look yet
'Mercedes-Benz is preparing to take on the Tesla Model S, Porsche Taycan and next-generation Jaguar XJ with its plush new EQS electric saloon, and fresh spyshots of a lesser disguised prototype have emerged. '

Old 28 Jul 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3991208)   #74
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not bad. It's good to see more manufacturers trialing out the EV route. We'll see how many pick them up on it. I still think it's a while before we see EVs dominate the car market place if at all
Old 28 Jul 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3991213)   #75
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Not bad. It's good to see more manufacturers trialing out the EV route. We'll see how many pick them up on it. I still think it's a while before we see EVs dominate the car market place if at all
Deloitte has predicted that a third of all new cars sold globally will be electrified by the end of the decade, citing a radical shift in consumer sentiment.

One of those cars is likely to be a Kia.

'It will be one of 11 electric Kia models on sale within the next five years, following the e-Niro and Soul EV - both of which are based on combustion-engined cars - to market. '