Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 May 2001, 16:18 (Ref:90278)   #1
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy 500 returning to it's roots

After about 5 years of the worlds most historic race being taken over by those damn IRL boys. It's good to see so many Cart drivers taking part in the race this year. Because in my heart, the Indianapolis 500 was, and always will be, an Indy car race, not an IRL race.

I would just like to state that I don't have anything against the IRL, just the fact they stole Carts greatest race from them and claimed it as their own(IMHO). It should return to Cart where it rightfully belongs.
Old 8 May 2001, 16:35 (Ref:90288)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another aspect of the Indy 500 returning to its roots is how we are seeing drivers like Tony Stewart come from WC cars to race. We need more cross over drivers. The Indy 500 used to be one of the biggest bragging rights to own in the world along with other classics like LeMans. I'd love to see some of sportscars greats and some F1 drivers go to the Brickyard to go for it.
Never forget #99
Old 8 May 2001, 18:08 (Ref:90342)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I second that opinion. The Indy 500 used to be one of the most prestigious motorsport "happenings" in the world, along with Le Mans and Monaco GP. It should be restored to its former glory.
Old 8 May 2001, 22:27 (Ref:90536)   #4
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KC and R, as much as I, and others I'm sure agree with you, today's drivier's contracts are probably the major factor in not allowing drivers to even begin entertaining the idea of going.
Old 9 May 2001, 01:31 (Ref:90576)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thats exactly right about drivers contracts not allowing them to drive in different series..remember back to the 60's when in F1 Jim Clark and others would drive in the F1 race and then in a touring car race as well..with no problems at all.

Im glad some of the CART guys and Nascar drivers are going to Indy..despite what people think of the IRL it will raise the profile of this series and gain the winner more respect than what it would if it was exclusively IRL drivers.

I love the race and think it is the greatest spectacle in motorsport and I have nothing against the IRL and have been a fan of it over the past 4 years.

my only hope is that some resolution can be found in the future and everybody can enjoy the Indy 500 the way they used to.

I like the IRL for giving drivers from all different styles of racing a chance to show what they can do in a big horspower wings and slicks car..and despite what people say these cars are still very hard to drive at over 200mph.

BRING ON INDY !!!!
Old 9 May 2001, 13:11 (Ref:90679)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand the "dangerous undertaking" clause in most drivers contracts. But I can still wish we could see the best drivers in the world compete at Indy.
Never forget #99
Old 14 May 2001, 15:58 (Ref:92342)   #7
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Indy 500 returning to it's roots

Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
The IRL ... stole Cart's greatest race from them and claimed it as their own(IMHO). It should return to Cart where it rightfully belongs.
CART's identity crisis stems from the fact that the Indy 500 does not rightfully belong to CART, it never has and it never will. The Indy 500 was never a CART sanctioned race. In fact in the early years of CART, Indy 500 points did not count towards CART's championship. When CART used the moniker "IndyCar" in the early 90's the name was licensed fron the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. CART chose to build their series around a race that was not theirs, and could be taken from them at any moment. And, eventually it was...

This thought may be hard to fathom, but CART should have left Indy behind when they broke away from USAC in 1979. It's hard to believe that, back then, USAC would have been able to pull off a racing league able to compete with CART. Although the early years may have been tough, CART could have built a centerpiece event of their own instead of building up the prestige of an event that was not theirs. By now, that event would have more than twenty years of tradition, and it's hard to imagine in what capacity the Indy 500 would exist today, if it did at all.
Old 15 May 2001, 06:12 (Ref:92677)   #8
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just happy seeing all the guys get together for a race.I think the Unsers and the Andrettis still have some unfinished business at Indy.
Old 16 May 2001, 21:56 (Ref:93379)   #9
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a nice trend to see CART & Indy drivers racing together at one of the Worlds greatest events.

However it would seem that the F1 drivers did not receive their invites. To those concerned could you please ensure that they are included next year. We then might see a true World Championship Race.

It would be great viewing a real head to head, add a few rally drivers and boy what a race. Heck we could even repeat it again at Le Mans and Monaco and have a triple crown series.

Simon
Old 17 May 2001, 16:08 (Ref:93630)   #10
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice thought SL but other than Jack and John (JV, JPM) I dont think may F1 drivers would consider it. Of course having those two in the field wouldn't be at all bad.
Old 17 May 2001, 16:48 (Ref:93642)   #11
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a brilliant idea!

In our dreams...