Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2024, 16:53 (Ref:4206421)   #1
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adrian Newey

According to a press release from the BBC, Adrian Newey is leaving Red Bull Racing. Not stated where he is going, but his contract has a "get out" clause at the end of 2024 season. Sorry, just seen this in another thread. Perhaps it can be combined.
Old 25 Apr 2024, 18:40 (Ref:4206443)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In case this isn't merged into the main red bull thread, here is the Link to the BBC story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo
Old Yesterday, 01:28 (Ref:4206461)   #3
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Newey does leave and go to Ferrari, it wont be about Lewis Hamilton for a couple of reasons:

1 - Even if he joins in 2026 after gardening leave, he'll be working on the 2027 car, and even then likely won't see the real effects until 2028.

2 - Leclerc is probably the fastest driver over one lap, and sure he makes mistakes but he can generally drive the car on a knife edge. Newey loves those sorts of drivers, so he'll push towards those limits. Hamilton says it's "experiments" but in 2022 and 2024 so far, he's not been great in a car not to his liking. Leclerc in a developed Newey car would very likely make a 40 year old Lewis Hamilton look like todays Sergio Perez over 1 lap.

3 - Time. Simply put, even if I'm wrong on point 2, unless Ferrari are already top of the field in 2026 it's going to take a while for Hamilton to get another title winning car even under a Newey led team. Nothing in F1 happens over night. Hamilton didn't want to race into his 40's and he left Mercedes after 3 years of it not happening, he left McLaren after 4 years of it not happening, does he drive at Ferrari for 3+ years if it's not happening?

I think Lewis' time at Ferrari will be akin to Schumacher's time at Mercedes.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 (Ref:4206473)   #4
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm no Hamilton fan but that is some incredible mental gymnastics right there
Old Yesterday, 04:37 (Ref:4206476)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given the gardening leave thrust upon any ex-Red Bull employee.. would Mr Newley be allowed to start ASAP or would it take 3 years for him to pop up at the Scuderia?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old Yesterday, 04:39 (Ref:4206477)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old Yesterday, 05:48 (Ref:4206482)   #7
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Given the gardening leave thrust upon any ex-Red Bull employee.. would Mr Newley be allowed to start ASAP or would it take 3 years for him to pop up at the Scuderia?
Unlikely. That would be 'restraint of trade'. GL is an established and legitimate way of teams protecting their IP, and I believe the courts have ruled on this.

A year for a top designer would be the limit I suspect, and three years likely be held to be an excessive period to restrain someone from practicing their trade.
Old Yesterday, 06:55 (Ref:4206484)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If Red Bull continues to pay Mr Newey to stay at home and doodle at his current stipend during said gardening leave.. it would be difficult to argue restraint of trade..

I am sure the old drawing board can be put to good use regardless of using it to design the ‘25 car…

In terms of loss of skills recency.. it’s hard to compare Mr Newey’s record as having too many skills gaps even after changing teams a few times…
Old Yesterday, 07:14 (Ref:4206487)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe there is a 6 month maximum cap now on gardening leave.

Having said that Newey is / was under contract (subject to exit clauses unknown) until end 2025.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 (Ref:4206489)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I always thought Newey would end his F1 career at RBR. However if this story is to believed, I can imagine him going to somewhere like Ferrari or Aston. But I can also seeing him just retiring
Old Yesterday, 07:44 (Ref:4206491)   #11
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Think that Joe has nailed it there - we may have to wait to hear from Mr Newey to have definite info.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 (Ref:4206493)   #12
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems so. Half a rumour has turned into wildfire
Old Yesterday, 08:41 (Ref:4206497)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I always thought Newey would end his F1 career at RBR. However if this story is to believed, I can imagine him going to somewhere like Ferrari or Aston. But I can also seeing him just retiring
Unless he is off to Sauber.. or Andretti..
Old Yesterday, 08:58 (Ref:4206501)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Isn't Newey self-employed and provides his expertise through a service company? Wasn't that one of the problems that Red Bull Racing had when their accounts were audited for the first time under the budget cap?

If the above is still relevant, I doubt whether he would have accepted a contract to provide services to Red Bull that included any clauses that demanded gardening leave in the event that he wanted to pursue other opportunities.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 (Ref:4206502)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Correct.

RACING SERVICES LIMITED, details available from Companies House.
Old Yesterday, 12:24 (Ref:4206527)   #16
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as Tom Cruise would say

" SHOW ME THE MONEY "
Old Yesterday, 14:13 (Ref:4206545)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I'm no Hamilton fan but that is some incredible mental gymnastics right there
Absolutely agreed!
Old Yesterday, 17:56 (Ref:4206565)   #18
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDP01 View Post
If Newey does leave and go to Ferrari, it wont be about Lewis Hamilton for a couple of reasons:

1 - Even if he joins in 2026 after gardening leave, he'll be working on the 2027 car, and even then likely won't see the real effects until 2028.

2 - Leclerc is probably the fastest driver over one lap, and sure he makes mistakes but he can generally drive the car on a knife edge. Newey loves those sorts of drivers, so he'll push towards those limits. Hamilton says it's "experiments" but in 2022 and 2024 so far, he's not been great in a car not to his liking. Leclerc in a developed Newey car would very likely make a 40 year old Lewis Hamilton look like todays Sergio Perez over 1 lap.

3 - Time. Simply put, even if I'm wrong on point 2, unless Ferrari are already top of the field in 2026 it's going to take a while for Hamilton to get another title winning car even under a Newey led team. Nothing in F1 happens over night. Hamilton didn't want to race into his 40's and he left Mercedes after 3 years of it not happening, he left McLaren after 4 years of it not happening, does he drive at Ferrari for 3+ years if it's not happening?

I think Lewis' time at Ferrari will be akin to Schumacher's time at Mercedes.
Sprint race aside, Hamilton's 2024 has been akin to Schumacher at Mercedes. There are a lot of similarities to how Mercedes are performing now compared with 2010-2012.
Old Today, 06:44 (Ref:4206604)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It seems he won't be able to join another team for a couple of years. So this may run and run for a bit.
Old Today, 07:19 (Ref:4206607)   #20
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Isn't Newey self-employed and provides his expertise through a service company? Wasn't that one of the problems that Red Bull Racing had when their accounts were audited for the first time under the budget cap?

If the above is still relevant, I doubt whether he would have accepted a contract to provide services to Red Bull that included any clauses that demanded gardening leave in the event that he wanted to pursue other opportunities.
I agree Mike. He’s a contractor/consultant. I cannot believe that the contract he signed with RBR would be that restrictive in terms of both notice period and stipulations as to restrictive windows before working for a ‘competitor’. When he started contracting (late teens?) he would have been one of the most sought after designers in the business and he simply wouldn’t have needed to have accepted such a restrictive contract, especially given as a contractor he probably needs next to no notice from RBR to be terminated. All very different when you’re a contractor earlier in your career …..like me (!) where the employers have the stronger hand.
IF he does go (and again the reporting around RBR seems very fragmented), I can see him working for another team soon, and very lucratively too.
Just my 2 pence.
Old Today, 08:22 (Ref:4206614)   #21
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It seems he won't be able to join another team for a couple of years. So this may run and run for a bit.

This from unnamed and unverified sources, it is no better than all the other gossip that surrounds F1. Until either or both Newey and Red Bull make a statement, all the stuff that is going around the media is absolutely meaningless; all a bit like Chinese whispers (younger members may need to Google that).