Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Dec 2020, 14:26 (Ref:4020407)   #201
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Tandy and Sims (for enduro) confirmed at Corvette

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/im...rvette-racing/
Old 3 Dec 2020, 15:16 (Ref:4020421)   #202
krzysiek_aleks
Rookie

krzysiek_aleks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Magnussen (younger one) + van der Zande full time in CGR
Old 3 Dec 2020, 18:14 (Ref:4020446)   #203
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek_aleks View Post
And Magnussen (younger one) + van der Zande full time in CGR

If that’s really the case, I am not surprised that Kevin has followed his father into American sportscars
Old 3 Dec 2020, 19:20 (Ref:4020457)   #204
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/q...starting-grid/

Concept is cool...I guess...will hold opinion until it happens. But logistically two things need to be addressed:

1. Should require two pit stops to get at least 3 drivers in the car during the race.
2. They should reduce the practice time significantly for both the Roar and race weeks to make up for the extra costs of the track time running to do this race.

Hope the coverage of this is treated like a normal race. With live onboards on the IMSA site, IMSA radio, maybe NBC trackpass, etc.

-I would suggest have two different 1 hour minute 40 races. Prototypes for one and GT in the other.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 04:21 (Ref:4020509)   #205
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They have specifically called out 2 drivers per car in the race, likely to keep continuity with the drivers in for the season, not the 3rd or 4th in the car for the endurance races. Remember, points are awarded for qualifying as well for 2021.

Teams have asked for this calendar change and wanted to have the events condensed, would appear they have had input as to the event timing and scheduling. More than a few reporters have said the on track time isn't the big cost, it's getting the team to the track and housing/feeding and caring for them. Those costs add up quick. Some people have reported the Am based teams had interest in quali races, easier to sell a race seat than practice time
Old 4 Dec 2020, 11:20 (Ref:4020567)   #206
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Tandy and Sims (for enduro) confirmed at Corvette

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/im...rvette-racing/
Am really surprised that Nick is leaving Porsche. Realize that Porsche will not be racing in IMSA in 2021 - but is Porsche really going to be scaling back their racing activities in the future? Will Porsche be reducing their factory works drivers beyound Nick in 2021?

Corvette may be racining against itself next year in IMSA. Maybe they will be developing a GT3 variant?

With the success Tandy has had at Porsche - he has become like Porsche royalty. You don't see drivers like that leave Porsche very often.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 12:06 (Ref:4020575)   #207
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
Am really surprised that Nick is leaving Porsche
Me too.

I had read the rumours, but I thought he would stay, and do Pro-Am GTD (like Bamber and Vanthoor seem to have planned) if he really wanted to keep racing in IMSA.
Then add in Le Mans (there are enough Porsches in the field), Nurburgring 24H and Spa 24H and I would think that is more interesting than racing 3 other cars all year long (only 1 if BMW also drop out)?
Furthermore, there's the rumored LMDh car. I'd think Tandy would have been considered for that, too, if he wanted it?

I have the feeling he's throwing away more than he is gaining, this seems like a rather short-term decision.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:25 (Ref:4020616)   #208
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Me too.

I had read the rumours, but I thought he would stay, and do Pro-Am GTD (like Bamber and Vanthoor seem to have planned) if he really wanted to keep racing in IMSA.
Then add in Le Mans (there are enough Porsches in the field), Nurburgring 24H and Spa 24H and I would think that is more interesting than racing 3 other cars all year long (only 1 if BMW also drop out)?
Furthermore, there's the rumored LMDh car. I'd think Tandy would have been considered for that, too, if he wanted it?

I have the feeling he's throwing away more than he is gaining, this seems like a rather short-term decision.
If it was any other team I would say yes it is "short term" based decision. But this is Corvette racing we are talking about. The longest existing team in big league sportscar racing. 20 years plus now. Not going away anytime soon. Nick has a job for the rest of the decade secure I think.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 15:34 (Ref:4020620)   #209
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
latest entry list tracker https://northamericanracecar.wordpre...p3Uest7pKZPPjM
Old 4 Dec 2020, 16:57 (Ref:4020632)   #210
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
If it was any other team I would say yes it is "short term" based decision. But this is Corvette racing we are talking about. The longest existing team in big league sportscar racing. 20 years plus now. Not going away anytime soon. Nick has a job for the rest of the decade secure I think.
I don't mean it like that: I have no fear for Corvette racing.
It's just that if Tandy wanted a shot at overall wins (IMSA, Le Mans) like he had mentioned before, I think he has now not enhanced his chances of landing a possible Porsche LMDh seat.
That's what I meant with short-term decision.

If he wants to keep racing GTs for the next decade or so, then sure: nothing wrong.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 21:55 (Ref:4020683)   #211
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Hendrick slipup has been revealed and confirmed.

AXR and Hendrick together with an Ally sponsored #48 Caddy DPi at Rolex 24.

Drivers: Jimmie Johnson, Kamui Kobayashi, Simon Pagenaud and Mike Rockenfeller

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/j...c-for-daytona/

https://racer.com/2020/12/04/axr-hen...olex-24-entry/

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/1...t-daytona.html

Chose your preferred new vendor.

The #48 is interesting, that's the Paul Miller GTD car number the last few seasons. Curious if they were ok with a change or that's a sign of their departure, I'm hopeful for the swap and there wasn't a familial or historic tie to the number so they were pushed out by Jimmie and Hendrick taking it.

Last edited by broadrun96; 4 Dec 2020 at 22:01.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 22:21 (Ref:4020692)   #212
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#48 is the trademark of jimmie johnson, I think will be just a one-off
Old 6 Dec 2020, 04:24 (Ref:4020888)   #213
WyldStallion
Veteran

The GG/MP podcast sometimes gives you scoops and stories you don't get in the web site link articles. So after signing Kevin Magnusen. The Ganassi team decision makers were split down the middle between signing Renger Van der Zande or Ryan Briscoe to be the 2nd full season driver. The story told was that Scott Dixon was brought in to be essentially the tie breaking vote. Despite meeting and working with RVZ for the first time this year, as supposed to Briscoe who Dixon has known a long time. Dixon said sign RVZ. And they did!
Old 7 Dec 2020, 02:26 (Ref:4021247)   #214
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The GG/MP podcast sometimes gives you scoops and stories you don't get in the web site link articles. So after signing Kevin Magnusen. The Ganassi team decision makers were split down the middle between signing Renger Van der Zande or Ryan Briscoe to be the 2nd full season driver. The story told was that Scott Dixon was brought in to be essentially the tie breaking vote. Despite meeting and working with RVZ for the first time this year, as supposed to Briscoe who Dixon has known a long time. Dixon said sign RVZ. And they did!
Ouch not exactly the kind of thing you want to hear if you are in briscoe's shoes.
Old 7 Dec 2020, 20:03 (Ref:4021440)   #215
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
But honestly, pedaling the Caddy DPi? Seems a reasonably quick decision if all other things are even.
Old 10 Dec 2020, 11:27 (Ref:4021925)   #216
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Racing Team Nederland at Daytona with Van Eerd - Van der Garde - Van Uytert - Milesi

https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...tona-24h-field
Old 10 Dec 2020, 19:16 (Ref:4022022)   #217
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Racing Team Nederland at Daytona with Van Eerd - Van der Garde - Van Uytert - Milesi

https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...tona-24h-field
Will the whole WEC field in there if JOTA and United come on board. And both have run in the Daytona 24 before. Think the WEC opening being at Sebring is a direct cause of this happening. Under the old super season sked this would not have happened. LMP2 will probably be slower at Daytona than last year by a couple seconds a lap. Probably not a bad thing. LMP2, LMP3 and GTLM will be rather close in speed. P2 will be slower now but still will probably have to pit the most with the shortest fuel capacity. The prototypes run a low downforce set up to get more banking speed. You won't see that many LMP2 or LMP3 cars pass GTLM cars in the infield and bus stop sections especially. Granted they had Conti tires then, but even a DPI rarely passed a GTLM car on the infield portion of the track during the 2017 race. Might happen this year with P2 and P3 in relation to them. Not the DPI's of course, they are like P1s now. Rocketships everywhere. With P1 gone effectively. DPI might be the fastest active sportscar class in the world now.

I know I made a lot of random thoughts in just this one short comment post :-)

Last edited by WyldStallion; 10 Dec 2020 at 19:23.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 21:58 (Ref:4022459)   #218
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
With P1 gone effectively. DPI might be the fastest active sportscar class in the world now.
I doubt they're as fast as GT500.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 04:38 (Ref:4022511)   #219
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
DPI right now are about as fast as a 2002 Audi R8 around most tracks, maybe a 2006 Audi R10.

However, that seems to be the performance target for DPI 2.0 and LMH/LMDH, basically within 1-2 seconds of 3:30 around LM. So basically 2002 or 2006/2007 LMP900/LMP1 lap times (though I think current LMP2 lap times/2011-2013 Audi R18 lap times may be attainable around LM, though we won't know until the first LMHs turn a wheel in public).
Old 14 Dec 2020, 15:57 (Ref:4022915)   #220
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
S365 reporting Laurens Vanthoor joining Pfaff for the season, partnering Zach Robichon.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 20:44 (Ref:4023142)   #221
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Wonder if Ben gets two watches if he wins both classes. Entered in LMP2, PR1/Mathiasen and GTD, TF Sport.

And Wynn's getting some hella exposure lately on his cars.

On S365 as image from PR1/Mathiasen so I would guess a possible livery at least.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 22:08 (Ref:4023155)   #222
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Wonder if Ben gets two watches if he wins both classes. Entered in LMP2, PR1/Mathiasen and GTD, TF Sport.

And Wynn's getting some hella exposure lately on his cars.

On S365 as image from PR1/Mathiasen so I would guess a possible livery at least.
Two more images of the car here:
https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/24...n-motorsports/

I really like the view form the side of the car (= 2nd image)

No idea if the line-up was already confirmed.
E-I have it as :Ben Keating, Nicolas Lapierre, Mikkel Jensen & Scott Hufffaker
Old 16 Dec 2020, 00:35 (Ref:4023170)   #223
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well Porsche could make it interesting. Hidden in the Racer MP analysis article is this little tidbit.

"Zurlinden wouldn’t be drawn on this topic, but RACER understands Multimatic, the Canadian firm tasked with building Ford’s road and racing GTs, and building and running Mazda’s RT24-P DPis, is the top candidate use its next-generation LMP2 chassis as the basis for Audi and Porsche LMDh designs."

wonder if they can build enough for Porsche, Audi and Mazda. Or if Multimatic knows something we all fear and are looking for a new chassis project.

He also hints at the Porsche engine being the Action Express toy of the Cayenne V8, this time the TT V8. it makes 550 hp in street trim, adding 80 can't be even a challenge for them and will keep it an under-stressed engine for longevity.

Audi looks to be using the DTM 2.0 engine according to the article. Makes plenty of power but it is a sprint engine. I have no idea what the rules are though for engine life in DTM so maybe they will run fine.

Sounds like the budget has been set aside for 2 cars in each IMSA and WEC for Porsche and likely privateer car(s).

https://racer.com/2020/12/15/insight...totype-reboot/
Old 16 Dec 2020, 01:53 (Ref:4023175)   #224
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well Porsche could make it interesting. Hidden in the Racer MP analysis article is this little tidbit.

"Zurlinden wouldn’t be drawn on this topic, but RACER understands Multimatic, the Canadian firm tasked with building Ford’s road and racing GTs, and building and running Mazda’s RT24-P DPis, is the top candidate use its next-generation LMP2 chassis as the basis for Audi and Porsche LMDh designs."

wonder if they can build enough for Porsche, Audi and Mazda. Or if Multimatic knows something we all fear and are looking for a new chassis project.

He also hints at the Porsche engine being the Action Express toy of the Cayenne V8, this time the TT V8. it makes 550 hp in street trim, adding 80 can't be even a challenge for them and will keep it an under-stressed engine for longevity.

Audi looks to be using the DTM 2.0 engine according to the article. Makes plenty of power but it is a sprint engine. I have no idea what the rules are though for engine life in DTM so maybe they will run fine.

Sounds like the budget has been set aside for 2 cars in each IMSA and WEC for Porsche and likely privateer car(s).

https://racer.com/2020/12/15/insight...totype-reboot/

Likely wrong but my dream is Porsche to model the chassis from the 911 RSR using their screaming engine. Same for Audi to use the R8 LMS as the basis of their LMDH. Love the sound of the Audi GT3 engine my favorite of the active GT3 cars today. Does this Audi DTM engine sounds like the R8 LMS?
Old 16 Dec 2020, 02:19 (Ref:4023179)   #225
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
The Flat 6 is a non-starter, it's just not built to be used that way and would be INSANELY expensive to fit. Plus it sounds like GARBAGE and broken. Sorry, I'll listen to bad music if I want a pain in my ears. It's only slightly better than the GT at FCY revs.

I would guess the R8 GT3 engine isn't even close given the DTM engine is a turbo 2.0L 4cyl model everyone was using.