Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 Sep 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3453928)   #1
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 at a crossroads - the future or the past ?

Last weekend provided us with an interesting contrast. The Goodwood Revival afforded us the chance become intoxicated in nostaligia as Lord March completely immersed us in the past. At the same time 5,000 miles away Formula E made it's debut and provided us with a glimpse into what motor racing could be like in the future. Formula One sits, some would say uncomfortably, somewhere between the two encompassing aspects of both but leaning more in the Formula E direction.

Even though Lord March's fare is from before my time [I'm in my 40s], I thoroughly enjoyed the broad variety of F1 machinery and the marked differences in how they behaved on track. It embodied everything about why I became interested in motor racing in the first place and I couldn't get enough of it over the weekend.

While I wanted to like Formula E - I see the development of all electric as a more interesting technical challenge than the reverse engineered road stuff F1 is now - I just couldn't get passionate about it. I had to force myself to stick with it to the end. If this is where F1 goes in the future, I'm not sure it'll be able to take me with it.

I'd be very interested in how others saw things this past weekend. I'm particularly interested in the views of younger enthusiasts as they're the demographic F1 is completely failing to appeal to... so if you're under 30 when you comment on this and feel OK about letting us know, please do.