Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jun 2001, 18:08 (Ref:110389)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Would you like to see F1 cars "Moving Around" like in the past?

I watched this programme last night on Sky sports 3, about motorsport decades ago, and this guy was saying about how

"the driver used to have to get the back end out, if the back end stepped out - it was because the driver wanted it to step out, rather than todays cars where the car tells the driver what to do"

I have seen cars in the 70's doing the rear wheel drift and it looks spectacular, is there a place for it in this era?

Would huge rear tyres bring this back?
Old 27 Jun 2001, 18:48 (Ref:110411)   #2
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF you want to see that kind of racing, go watch the FIA Rally. Fatter tires on the back would havfe the opposite effect.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 22:55 (Ref:110508)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bghaw is right, bigger rear tyres would just give the back end more grip. Getting rid of aerodynamic grip (ie. wings), and removing traction control would make cars that like to stick the tail out.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 23:19 (Ref:110515)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a question of horsepower over traction. There are some glorious shots to be found of early-seventies F1 cars being hung out very wide indeed on their huge balloon rear slicks. Ronnie Peterson in the Lotus was always a particular favourite when it came to powerslides and opposite lock.

As a dyed-in-the-wool historics buff, I have got to say, skinny tyres and no downforce make for fun racing, and you really get an idea of who has got car control down to a fine art. Bring 'em back, I say!

Tim's idea for a good formula? 8-inch wide tyres, no wing at all, unlimited engine capacity, supercharging/turbocharging permissible.

Now, where's me video of the 1938 Donington GP.....