Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Jun 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3261709)   #1
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Popular Swift Rallycross Open day 22nd June

Swift Rallycross holding another one of there popular Open days
http://www.swiftrallycross.com/#!__open-days-2013 always worth a visit
Old 12 Jun 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3261820)   #2
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks awesome. If I wasn't competing, I'd book myself a drive!
Old 13 Jun 2013, 05:26 (Ref:3261911)   #3
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted View Post
That looks awesome. If I wasn't competing, I'd book myself a drive!
That's a shame, always big fun to be had in the little Swifts. Provided some of the best action at rounds time after time.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 08:31 (Ref:3261966)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dammit, I'm away that weekend!

I did a session last time the Swifts were at Lydden and left with a massive smile on my face. Had been planning to have another go, will have to wait until the next time they are down there.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3262033)   #5
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Dammit, I'm away that weekend!

I did a session last time the Swifts were at Lydden and left with a massive smile on my face. Had been planning to have another go, will have to wait until the next time they are down there.
I didn't realise you were out in a Swift at Lydden. Did you overtake either the red or yellow 205??
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3262038)   #6
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey1 View Post
I didn't realise you were out in a Swift at Lydden. Did you overtake either the red or yellow 205??
Oh I was passing everything: 205's, retro rallycross cars, supercars...*

* Thats how I remember it, anyway.

As long as I've been watching at Lydden I have wondered what the rallycross track was like to drive. Foolishly I only booked the one session though: I got such a kick out of doing a few laps I was desperate to go out again!
Old 13 Jun 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3262059)   #7
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Oh I was passing everything: 205's, retro rallycross cars, supercars...*

* Thats how I remember it, anyway.

As long as I've been watching at Lydden I have wondered what the rallycross track was like to drive. Foolishly I only booked the one session though: I got such a kick out of doing a few laps I was desperate to go out again!
And who are we to correct your interpretation of events!

I thought the same thing and ended up buying a car to find out.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3262069)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To anyone who has had a go, how many laps/hw much time do you get for one session?

Am presuming this being done at Gwynnes rallyschool?
Old 13 Jun 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3262086)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey1
And who are we to correct your interpretation of events!
Well a few weeks after I did the Swift day, the very car I drove was used by Pat Doran to win at Mallory Park. I'm fairly certain the way I set the car up (seat position, steering wheel rake etc.) was the reason for his win: haven't had any credit for that yet though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey1
thought the same thing and ended up buying a car to find out.
I'm sorely tempted, but I have to keep telling myself that a deposit for a house is a better investment than a rallycross car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunder
To anyone who has had a go, how many laps/hw much time do you get for one session?
I can't remember the exact amount from the Lydden day. I think it was £35ish for a single session and that got you a handful (5 or 6) laps with an instructor. Given the time it takes to lap Lydden that wasn't a huge amount of seat time, but to (briefly) experience a proper rallycross car on a proper rallycross track I thought it was money well spent.

The half day and full day courses obviously got more seat time, although they cost more I'd imagine they'd be much better value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunder
Am presuming this being done at Gwynnes rallyschool?
Looks that way from the map on the above link?
Old 13 Jun 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3262109)   #10
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
My first session was a treat from my kids,was always critical of how I thought Lydden should of been driven always vocal lol at events coz I obviously new best of course . All one can say is at Lydden from spectator to having a few laps in the Swift it certainly was an eye opener. Dave Bellerby was the one too show me just how late you can break for chessons and for paddock bend heart in mouth moments and to have Dave sitting next to telling you to go for it for the few laps I did was awesome. Am I still critical of drivers? Course I am I've driven it lol so I know no best
Old 13 Jun 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3262130)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Might be tempted to do a couple of sessions to stop and have a think!

But it would be better on a proper rallycross track sadly.

Shame they cant hire one for this, but its their own land so fair enough
Old 13 Jun 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3262341)   #12
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
That's a shame, always big fun to be had in the little Swifts. Provided some of the best action at rounds time after time.
(Slightly off topic, but I feel compelled to mention it- I don't race cars in any form. I event horses.)

Anyway, back on topic. They do look really fun! I had a big old estate that I sold and replaced with a Megane. It's so much more fun to drive! I had a Swift hire car that I didn't want to give back.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3262528)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Might be tempted to do a couple of sessions to stop and have a think!

But it would be better on a proper rallycross track sadly.

Shame they cant hire one for this, but its their own land so fair enough
They ran these sessions at Lydden earlier in the year (Swifts + rallycross testing) so I'd expect them to do it again next year. I guess using the rally school makes sense as they don't need to hire a venue and it's more central than using Lydden.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3262603)   #14
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
All one can say is at Lydden from spectator to having a few laps in the Swift it certainly was an eye opener.
Definately agree with this, really changed my view of the circuit seeing it from behind the steering wheel.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3266117)   #15
Belgian Blitz!
Rookie

Belgium
Westerlo
Belgian Blitz! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they are good enough,to keep me coming over to the UK every time.Will be there tomorrow to do some more practice,wanna be fully prepared for my homeround at Maasmechelen the 21st of july.
Did some passenger rides at the lydden open day and didn't see anyone getting out of the seat without a big grin on their faces
Old 21 Jun 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3266247)   #16
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Blitz! View Post
Well they are good enough,to keep me coming over to the UK every time.Will be there tomorrow to do some more practice,wanna be fully prepared for my homeround at Maasmechelen the 21st of july.
Did some passenger rides at the lydden open day and didn't see anyone getting out of the seat without a big grin on their faces
Kris a welcome addition to the Swifts ever improving best of luck with your home round, shame there are no jnr compatriots willing to have ago. Need to let Strugger's loose haha
Old 22 Jun 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3266394)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think if I am gonna have a go I would rather have a go on a proper track, than some airfield in the middle of nowhere!

Save it til next time hopefully