Others- please specify 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Aug 2003, 16:08 (Ref:693420)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the best in the field ?

Ok hypothetically if all the cars were on the same tyres which car do you guys think is the best from the rest?

Oh by the way i've added Minardi just to see if there are any devoted fans who will vote for them !
And after all in F1 consistency is the key and Minardi are consistently on the back row of the grid!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 16:11 (Ref:693423)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally i think Ferrari still have the best car and are suffering from a tyre disadvantage.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 16:15 (Ref:693425)   #3
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree and have voted for Ferrari. Particularly if you consider the season as a whole. Having said that, I think Williams hae made genuine gains with the FW25 too. It's not ALL tyres!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 18:31 (Ref:693580)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one have beaten the tire issue to death. I think Ferrari still has the better car. Unfortunately with the new rules and the silly tire war we will never know.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 19:07 (Ref:693611)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ferrari easy, the fact that it is still in touch despite the tyre situation shows that.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 19:44 (Ref:693648)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ferrari...
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:26 (Ref:693684)   #7
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they were on the same tyres it would be Ferrari
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:31 (Ref:693691)   #8
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the Moment i think willaims have the best car, BUT i think £ for £ Mninardi have the best car and team in the field and therefore should be allowed HUGE tyres without groves.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 21:16 (Ref:693744)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know, are you suggesting the designers and technicians at Minardi are more talented than those at Ferrari? I'm sure with the same budget as Minardi, Bryne and Brawn could come up with a better car, however I doubt the opposite would be true of the Minardi guys.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 21:31 (Ref:693749)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Yeh Minardi got a vote for a best car poll...almost as good as getting a point !!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 22:01 (Ref:693779)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best car is the R23. Problem is, it doesn't have the best engine at all!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 23:46 (Ref:693862)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course the Mindari is the best car per dollar spent. It's the law of diminishing returns! They spent like 5M to develop their car compared to hundreds of millions for the top teams. Seeing as it's within a few percent of the speed of the best it's a no brainer.

I question if the R23 is the best chasis in the field. It's pretty hard to prove that unless they do well only on courses that would respond well to a good chasis. It doesn't seem to have always worked that way...

I also agree that the FW25 has improved more than people give it credit for. Recall they were slower than the MP17 at the start of the year on the same tires.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 00:49 (Ref:693898)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately, Renault has a really great package let down by it's engine. The chassis is easy to work with, yet highly effective and it's aero is very efficient to. But Best Car comes with the engine. Once they get their new V10 ready, the Renault package would be greatly more potent. 30/50

Ferrari has a good car/engine package which is right up there as ONE OF the best. In fact, i'd say that Renault has far superior chassis and electronics, and their aerodynamic is almost as good as Ferrari. Again, the engine is the difference and it's what keeps Ferrari good enough. The F2003GA is hard to set up, and doesn't work well with the tyres. 36/50 (when working well)

Williams had started FW25 with a pretty hard base. But they've worked their socks off to come up with a car that is in touch with Ferrari. Maybe not better, but not worse off either. The drivers had good comments of how it can easily be set up for consistent and fast runs, and how it's forgiving for imperfect setups. Aerodynamics are hugely improved, though maybe a little lacking compared to the shapely Ferrari or Renault, but more than made up for by a very very good motor. 35/50

Mclaren? To write off their one-year-old car is silly. Last year's Mclaren is a great handler let down by a weak engine. This year's revised MP17 no doubt a better car, but being a year old means some new developements can't be included. A decent car still. 28/50

With the top 4 team cars being so close, and tyres contributing a very very significant part of it's performance and consistency, it's really down to the tyres. And in that, Michelin had the advantage with 44/50, Bridgestone 36/50.

So at the end of the day
1st)Williams FW25 (79/100)
2nd)Renault R23 (74/100)
3rd)Ferrari F2003GA (72/100)
4th)Mclaren Mp17D (72/100)
Old 21 Aug 2003, 08:38 (Ref:694080)   #14
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Williams has more high-scoring features I think - it is acnowledged as the best mechanical chassis with very good performance at slow circuits; obviously they've got the terrific BMW motor; the aerodynamics are radically improved and they certainly don't seem to suffer at tracks which require good aero.

The Ferrari has some flaws, or so they say, other than the tyres - in particular it is apparently very difficult to set-up and drive.

The Renault is underpowered and this leads some to conclude that its saving grace would be the chassis - I think this is wrong (Williams seem to have a big edge on them as far as slow corners are concerned)... the Renault performs amazingly well in high and medium speed corners, because they have an advantage with the aero. This allows them to show good speed onn quite quick circuits despite a shortage of bhp. They also benefit from very good fuel economy and electronics.

The McLaren is looking tired now and has presumably run to the end of it's development potential. Still a fine car though, and one which the team have a lot of experience with.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 08:45 (Ref:694084)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Williams have the best package at the moment.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 09:10 (Ref:694099)   #16
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think williams, they just seem to have like an extra something at the moment.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 09:52 (Ref:694119)   #17
perminder
Racer

United Kingdom
in my house
perminder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep i agree with GG - and ralfs hearinfg result is a big cahmpionship winning boost
Old 21 Aug 2003, 12:20 (Ref:694318)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 21 Aug 2003, 14:18 (Ref:694454)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess is a tight fight between Williams and Ferrari.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 16:25 (Ref:694545)   #20
JFAUSSAN
Rookie

JFAUSSAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WILLIAMS
Old 21 Aug 2003, 17:18 (Ref:694568)   #21
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best CAR is Renault, but the engine is not on the same level.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 21 Aug 2003, 19:09 (Ref:694686)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams is the best package, but Montmeló proved the Renaults were very good, being nearly at the F2003-GA's pace. Maybe if Ferrari had Michelins they would be the best, but we won't know. And maybe BAR would be closer to the top with Michelins as well.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 19:26 (Ref:694704)   #23
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I don't know, are you suggesting the designers and technicians at Minardi are more talented than those at Ferrari?
of course im not suggesting that the Minardi designers are the best, but as Shurb indicated if you gave Ferrari a budget of £10m then they wouldn't be able to attract the best designers and have a car like the Minardi.

Minardi are 2-3 seconds per lap behind the front runners, on a budget a 10th the size of them.

I maintain my ground, Minardi have the best car £ for £.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 22:43 (Ref:694940)   #24
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari - without a doubt.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 23:12 (Ref:694968)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England