Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 29 May 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1313979)   #1
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you agree with the current tyre rules?

I think this could be a poll.

Do you people like the current state of tyre regulations, with drivers having to watch carefully their tyres through the race?

I must say I don't. The point being that while tyre manufacturers said that it wasn't very difficult to make them last a whole race, last year tyres that were used during 15-20 laps were no way as badly worn as what we're seeing now.

To me it's like when the turbo era, 1986 I think it was, the fuel tanks were limited and several cars used to run out of fuel at the end of races. I don't think having punctures or badly worn tyres should decide races.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1313989)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I fully support the new tyre rules - they've given us excellent racing this year by making cars different paced at different stages of the race.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1313992)   #3
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no way . we were lucky today not to have an accident similar to Senna's. espiecialy with suspension and other parts flying through the air.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1313997)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jordi, I would happily make this a poll. However consideration needs to be given to the answers (or the question).

Are you questioning one part of it (e.g. the one tyre per race)? Or all of it? If all then the answers might need to include why No. Some might like the one set per race, but hate grooves. Or like grooves, but want a single manufacturer. etc...

Also we have a lot of thread on this. I think this one might be right along the lines of gfm's "tyre races" thread. We also have the tyre safety thread started by Pingguest too and Mr V's Should they have pitted Kimi.

As for '86. I remember tyre and punctures wear being a massive issue. Especially in Jerez, Mexico and Adelaide (and pretty much every other race!).
Old 29 May 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1314002)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
I don't think having punctures or badly worn tyres should decide races.
Badly worn tyres don't decide races, the driver who failed to manage his tyres properly does.

Punctures are just a factor of motorsport at all levels, they'll happen no matter what the regulations are.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1314006)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An accident like Sennas? And, like, where would that happen?

I fully support the new tyre rules. It is a skill the drivers have to develop and it has made the races come alive in the closing stages almost without exception.

To say it is dangerous after one incident is somewhat ludicrous.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1314010)   #7
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm really enjoying the balancing act that the tyre rules have placed on the drivers, do they push hard at the start of the race or hold something back for later on. it's brought a degree of unpredictability in, which is always a good thing.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1314012)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The poll could be: "What tyre rules would you prefer?"

a) Current ones
b) Free for all, tyre changes available in races
c) Single manufacturer, control tyre to save money and also reduce speeds.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1314018)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Are you saying Jordi that last years tyres looked in better far shape at the same point in the race as this seasons tyres look? As far as your question goes I am in two minds on the one hand I agree with KB, however what we saw happen today with FM and KR tyres has to make one wonder from a safety point of view! Clearly in both sets of circumstances they were delamanating after being badly flatspoted.
Old 29 May 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1314024)   #10
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
An accident like Sennas? And, like, where would that happen?

I fully support the new tyre rules. It is a skill the drivers have to develop and it has made the races come alive in the closing stages almost without exception.

To say it is dangerous after one incident is somewhat ludicrous.
i meant in the way senna died. it's not ludicrous it could only take one incident for someone to die or get seriously injured.
Old 29 May 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1314035)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All these points are being discussed elsewhere and people are having to make every point at least twice! Here are the current threads:

gfm's "tyre races" thread.
The tyre safety thread started by Pingguest too
Mr V's Should they have pitted Kimi.

Relevant poles will be added to these threads.

Your suggest Jordi, as it seems to be performance and race based will be added to gfm's thread. Thank you. A safety question will be added to Pingguest's thread. There is already a Kimi poll along similar lines, but considering that specific case.