Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1735449)   #1
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1's current Underachiever

Who in your opinion is the most underachieved driver?

Mine is Giancarlo Fisichella..... Fast to win a race or two, BUT lacks the Killer Instinct
Old 11 Oct 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1735456)   #2
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber, Raikkonen and Trulli for me have not quite lived up to expectations one way or another. Raikkonen has a chance to prove me wrong next year though

If I must pick one then I will say Webber mostly.

Last edited by dazbaz_99; 11 Oct 2006 at 18:43.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1735458)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella has always disapointed me, on his day he can be stageringly quick and consistant but just seems so often to fade into obscurity. Imo oppinion he's the only one on the grid who has had the equipment to challange for the title and failed to do so, oh and DC of course.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1735460)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota have achieved very little with their huge investment, and both their drivers have frequently failed to get the most out of their other teams, but Fisichella also deserves a mention. His meek display when Michael came out of the pits in China seemed to sum up his Renault career. US this year is the only time he has beaten Alonso on merit - and he's consistently beaten so many other capable drivers.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1735523)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
The tone of this thread is pretty negative. Lets not let it get into a driver bash, or I will be the first to close it.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1735629)   #6
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sorry inigo montoya just that i thought it would be intresting to see how many f1 drivers ar over rated
Old 12 Oct 2006, 00:14 (Ref:1735708)   #7
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmmm. From the current drivers i would say...Fisicella, Webber, Raikkonen and Button.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1735730)   #8
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Heidfeld is a good candidate. When it takes a 21 year old with a receding hairline and a teenager to make you up your game, it is a telling indictment of your abilities. We should call him Nick "the faucet" Heidfeld, cause he can turn it on or off. I would/will be amazed if BMW re-sign him.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 01:07 (Ref:1735735)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess the Toyota couple are the perfect match to this thread.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 01:07 (Ref:1735736)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would say Fisi is the biggest underachiever given the car he has had.

Webber and Button i think have a small excuse in that the cars they have been given arn't acctually race winners and buttons win in hungary was a bit of luck.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 01:36 (Ref:1735745)   #11
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty simple really, you just need to look at the other side of the garage.

Fisi.

All the others metioned are either ahead of or close to their teammates. Button ahead of Rubens, Webber ahead of Nico, Trulli ....
Old 12 Oct 2006, 06:23 (Ref:1735815)   #12
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf, Trulli and Fisi would be my picks. Their performance seems to be all over the place depending on the state of the car and team.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1735885)   #13
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Heidfeld has under acheived in his F1 career, but I think that's more down to not being lucky enough to get a decent drive. Whatever you might think about his performance since Kubica's been next to him, we don't actually know the reasons for this, and it's too easy to jump to conclusions as to why this may be - but Heidfeld has continued to outscore or out perform most of his team mates (drivers such as Alesi, Raikonnen, Massa and Villeneuve). But without a decent car underneath him he has skirted with obscurity once or twice. I think he's a great driver and I hope BMW give him every opportunity.
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1735889)   #14
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
The tone of this thread is pretty negative. Lets not let it get into a driver bash, or I will be the first to close it.
You seem like a 'Glass is half empty kind of chap'.
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1735952)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Especially given the wages they reputedly command.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1736013)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
That depends on whether it's the drivers or the car that is underachieving. I opt for the latter personally.
I expected to see more from Heidfeld this year. Not that he has done poorly given the state of the development of the car. He just hasn't looked like the driver of the future for the team. I think he may have peaked while as Kubica looks to have matched him already.
The winner (or loser) of the biggest underachiever has to be Fisichella. He just hasn't been the driver that appears to be a threat at every GP.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Oct 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1736027)   #17
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi without a doubt. Till 2002 I was saying to anybody that would listen that he was the 3rd best driver in F1, and just needed a car.

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth!

Mark comes a close second
Old 12 Oct 2006, 10:48 (Ref:1736035)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
That depends on whether it's the drivers or the car that is underachieving. I opt for the latter personally.
Yep, problably.But I was thinking about their overall career so far.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1736156)   #19
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would put Raikkonen and Button in this category considering the amount of hype both of them get.

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 12 Oct 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1736241)   #20
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This season, Monteiro has disappointed me - Albers has easily had the measure of him for most of the year, and he has made more race-ending errors than in his rookie season.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1736253)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im a little confused, as per the usual, but looking at the drivers standing points its hard to point anyone out who has underachieved.

FA & MS - were fighting for 1st, but its fair to say both lived up to expectations this year.
GF & FM -are fighting for 3rd in the WDC, which is exactly where they should be.
KR - secured 5th - in a very uninspired Merc.
JB & RB - next come the two Honda guys - again exactly where they should be - the 4th best team (if anything they have exceded due to JPM's early exit)
NH - first year for the team ( i guess the only guy you could make a case for but he has scored points in a little more than half his races, has had a few races compromised by incidents( not his fault) and reliability issues but its a new team.
RS - PDL - JT - not surprising that Pedro has moved in b/w the two Toyota's as he does have the better car, but really the only team Toyota should be doing better than is the BMW - imo since the two Toyota guys have been close to each other that indicates to me that NH has over achieved this year.

to shorten this up, i'll lump the Red Bull and Williams guys together - clearly they just showed up with cars that were not up to grade, and not really competitive even when they had good reliability - cant say their drivers did not put in the max though. just feel bad for MW because he was often in the points when his ride just ran out of tokens.

so from a purely points standpoint - its hard to say any driver failed to get where they should have over the course of the season....(is that a truism?)
Old 12 Oct 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1736256)   #22
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota, with all it's resources, all it's money, all it's racing experience ... and doing so bad ....

I expected alot more from them.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1736266)   #23
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
so from a purely points standpoint - its hard to say any driver failed to get where they should have over the course of the season....(is that a truism?)
F.Alonso 126
M.Schumacher 116
F.Massa 70
G.Fisichella 69

Perhaps Massa and Fisichella should have been closer to their respective team mates. Raikonnen can still mathematically achieve 3rd in the standings on 61 points. Massa and Fisi should have the fight to 3rd all by themselves by all rights.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1736355)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Button probably.

A lot of those mentioned, such as Ralf, Fisi etc.. aren't underachieving, as they are achieving at their natural level. They will always chug around aimlessly, never really being outstanding, an amusing sideshow to the greats.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 12 Oct 2006 at 16:21.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1736361)   #25
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein
Fisi without a doubt. Till 2002 I was saying to anybody that would listen that he was the 3rd best driver in F1, and just needed a car.
He might be. I don't think the Renault is anywhere near as good as the Ferrari and I'd rate Fisi over Massa. It may just be that Alonso is a total prodigy a la Senna.