Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 4 Jul 2022, 21:41 (Ref:4118260)   #51
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chadwick has won 10 of 18 W Series races now, by far the GOAT in that series...
Old 29 Sep 2022, 16:00 (Ref:4127875)   #52
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Whos putting up the money for this series?
Nobody.... Presume the FIA/F1 will bail them out.

Im not an expert in finance but i think "net liabilities" is effectivly debt? If so £7.5m of debt looks really bad for the future.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...ant-financial/

Also noted that they arent using their normal cars this weekend but the Toyota Gazoo Racing series cars from NZ

Last edited by tux; 29 Sep 2022 at 16:08.
Old 29 Sep 2022, 19:52 (Ref:4127890)   #53
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Also noted that they arent using their normal cars this weekend but the Toyota Gazoo Racing series cars from NZ
That was always planned. As W Series use sea freight, there was no way of getting the Tatuus-Abarths to the US in time from Singapore. Hence the use of the New Zealand cars instead. The same cars were also used in Spain as the regular ones hadn't been returned from Miami.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 07:59 (Ref:4127913)   #54
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
To all those who have always wondered how the financials could possibly make any sense in this series, it seems we have the answer.

They don't.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4128515)   #55
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
It's a great pity. The racing has been good. Better in some cases than F1 and much better than Formula E. Getting Jamie into a F1 car even for testing would help. Motorsport has been lacking good female racers and it needs to be less sexist.
I see no issue from photo shoots, they pay the bills. These days people like Jenson, Nico and Mark have a steady income from promoting fashion so why should not the girls?
Old 3 Oct 2022, 09:55 (Ref:4128517)   #56
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
It's a great pity. The racing has been good. Better in some cases than F1 and much better than Formula E. Getting Jamie into a F1 car even for testing would help.
The racing has been reasonably good, although the reason for that is the lack of quality and the inconsistency.

Unfortunately, being in the top team, and being the most experienced driver, finishing ninth (and pretty much last) in the Formula Regional Europe championship in 2020 while her team mates finished 1,2,3 in the championship shows the level Jamie is really at.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 12:19 (Ref:4128528)   #57
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The racing has been reasonably good, although the reason for that is the lack of quality and the inconsistency.

Unfortunately, being in the top team, and being the most experienced driver, finishing ninth (and pretty much last) in the Formula Regional Europe championship in 2020 while her team mates finished 1,2,3 in the championship shows the level Jamie is really at.
Ah, but...

How many male drivers have chanced their arm in competition of that sort and come up short? A great many, yet almost nobody mentions them.

Somewhere, some time, a female driver will get the chance to race regularly at junior levels for several years against male counterparts and gain the extra racecraft and experience to beat them. Until then, female drivers will always be compared with the best male drivers in any competition they enter, where they should be rated against the worst. In that championship Jamie Chadwick beat two other full season drivers, both of whom have now fallen off the single-seater ladder and taken fairly safe seats in GT and Ligier series instead.

Unfortunately, female drivers seem to do very well in early-series karting (Bambino and the next couple of levels, and into junior tin-top series) but then drop out for a large variety of reasons, a lot of which are down to sponsorship. Also unfortunately, the lack of sponsorship is sometimes said to be because a lot of female drivers drop out - it's a circular problem.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 12:57 (Ref:4128535)   #58
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Ah, but...

How many male drivers have chanced their arm in competition of that sort and come up short? A great many, yet almost nobody mentions them.
Correctly so, and certainly not in connection with nonsensical F1 drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
In that championship Jamie Chadwick beat two other full season drivers, both of whom have now fallen off the single-seater ladder and taken fairly safe seats in GT and Ligier series instead.
Yes, check their then experience levels and the teams they drove for.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 23:58 (Ref:4128607)   #59
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, but just being at Prema doesn't mean that she was receiving equal treatment. Nothing to do with gender, but Chadwick is far from a well-funded racing driver whereas both Petecoff and Leclerc are very well-funded. They could afford more track time in cars, probably spent a lot more time in karts as kids, could afford more/better mechanics/personal trainers/coaches, maybe new chassis throughout the year, etc. Not to downplay their achievements at all, but there are advantages to going racing with more money, especially when you're at an earlier stage in your career.
Old 10 Oct 2022, 19:20 (Ref:4129780)   #60
peebee2
Veteran

So it's been canned. Anyone think it will come back in 2023?
Old 11 Oct 2022, 09:13 (Ref:4129855)   #61
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it will be back in 2023. Whether or not it should be back is another discussion.

I really don't have a good answer to the problem that W Series is trying to solve, but I don't think W Series is the answer.

Maybe taking the amount of money it cost to run W Series and putting it being 2-3 of the best female drivers and seeing where they get? One problem Jamie Chadwick has is that she's not that good (but equally, not that terrible), but she's hardly going to get the development she needs to get to improve when she wins so easily in a series full of drivers worse than her.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4129860)   #62
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think it will be back in 2023.
Not sure I can see it. I always suspected the business plan was to bring in external investment and make an early exit from the business with a profit, which was always unlikely.

I wonder now if creditors will be looking for the hardware to pay off debts - not that bringing 16-20 Tatuus F318s to a very limited market is going to realise much.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 09:48 (Ref:4129861)   #63
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it'll be back in 2023, but not like we've seen it. It's hard to justify flying around the world - but 5 stop European tour with double headers will be much more affordable.

But I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and this is the last we see of it.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 10:04 (Ref:4129864)   #64
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
I think it'll be back in 2023, but not like we've seen it. It's hard to justify flying around the world - but 5 stop European tour with double headers will be much more affordable.

But I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and this is the last we see of it.
I hope you're right and it comes back.

The wide differential in the driving ability actually makes it fairly watchable.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 10:06 (Ref:4129865)   #65
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah. I've been watching some GT4 and BritCar recently. Enjoyable for the same reasons - some stuff that happens is wild.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 14:30 (Ref:4129908)   #66
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
As long as the top drivers return rather than step up, I'm not interested.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 01:37 (Ref:4129973)   #67
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Can't help feeling that rather than running a W series, it might make more sense to run a W team (or teams) in F3, maybe F2 over time - take the "staircase of talent" approach for W drivers and team crew that JYS took when Paul Stewart Racing was set up.

Mr Coulthard was part of that staircase at PSR, if he's still involved in W Series he can explain it to the others.

To me, there is more potential from that approach to develop talent than there is running a mediocre series with no genuinely pacy competitors - would probably cost similar amount or maybe even less but if developing W talent is the aim, could ultimately be a much better way to go.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 07:23 (Ref:4129988)   #68
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think it will be back in 2023. Whether or not it should be back is another discussion.

I really don't have a good answer to the problem that W Series is trying to solve, but I don't think W Series is the answer.

Maybe taking the amount of money it cost to run W Series and putting it being 2-3 of the best female drivers and seeing where they get? One problem Jamie Chadwick has is that she's not that good (but equally, not that terrible), but she's hardly going to get the development she needs to get to improve when she wins so easily in a series full of drivers worse than her.
I don't see what a new investor will gain, they will already see that the last 'investment' has turned into an $8m defecit, effectively the suppliers and contractors have been funding and carrying this series for at least the last 12 months.

Where is the return?
Old 16 Oct 2022, 13:54 (Ref:4130498)   #69
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Womens soccer and rugby has really taken off, so why should not the W series?
Old 16 Oct 2022, 15:49 (Ref:4130502)   #70
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Because motorsport is a sport where men and women can compete together?
I think even W Series is counterproductive, at least with drivers of this level.
Old 16 Oct 2022, 22:28 (Ref:4130538)   #71
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Money
Old 17 Oct 2022, 11:42 (Ref:4130579)   #72
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
It can. But clearly in its current format it cannot given it's in serious financial trouble.

I don't think anyone has said the concept absolutely cannot work - just that right now it clearly is not.

Related: The Iron Dames are currently doing excellent things.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 13:46 (Ref:4130595)   #73
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I support equality. I agree with Pippa Mann that segregating drivers is a bad idea.

Extreme E has mixed relays, a format with I love in any sport. Of course it wouldn't make sense in a junior formula series.

But neither does W Series, which has a triple champion that can't step up.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 16:04 (Ref:4130616)   #74
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But neither does W Series, which has a triple champion that can't step up.
This is true, but the idea is that this generation inspire the future generations and you'll get more female races, and since there is more, you'll have a higher chance of getting good ones, etc.

It's playing the long game. The problem is the long game is expensive.
Old 18 Oct 2022, 18:25 (Ref:4130754)   #75
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I am a touring car and sports car guy so when I am thinking of female drivers names like Michelle Halder, Sophia Florsch, Jessica Backman, etc. pop up. For me they did more for motorsport than W Series.