Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Apr 2022, 10:33 (Ref:4105641)   #526
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Is the worm turning ,https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/15...e-your-say-evg
At last one media outlet has admitted that a lot of the costs for the public come from Green Stealth Taxes on energy .
I wont hold my breath , but is it possible the country might start to realise the whole Global Warming thing is just lies to take money from everybody .
The overall situation is a little opaque at the moment due to other factors but I note that Tesla took the top 2 positions in the sales lists for cars in March.

So a boat load of Model 3s and another of model Ys made in China has the ability to top the number in a very low sales month against a background of "chip shartages" and (looking ahead) component supply problems from sources in Ukraine.

Meanwhile the price of fuels going increasing has affected both fossil and electric markets and will continue to do so for some time - probably until pay-per-mile is introduced with automatic road law infraction penalties alongside. No more need for speed cameras, the vehicles will self-report excess speed, etc.

I see reports that VW are considering moving entirely into the "premium" end of the market. But will they end up with the same sort of problems that Porsche have - extended delivery times and cars being handed to drivers with notable features missing awaiting retro-fit at some point when the chips become available again?

Meanwhile the eco-zealots are allowed once again to bring extended disruption to an already difficult situation, though perhaps this time it has been allowed in order to cover up a basic lack of supply? One of my regular Tesco fuel stations was entirely closed yesterday. A BP site across the road had Petrol but, seemingly, no diesel.

We recently bought a non-plugin hybrid almost by accident. The size and features matched needs better than most that we looked at and the model is only available as some sort of Hybrid or a full EV.

I have been surprised about how much efficiency it seems to be able to gain by recovering what would otherwise be wasted energy.

On the "open road" any energy recovery benefits would probably not be great. A long motorway trip with no congestion would probably not offer much of an advantage over anything else.

But in an urban situation or on typically busy A and B roads there do seem to be considerable advantages that more than offset the fact that the thing is notably bigger and heavier than the car it replaced yet probably more economical. (I don't really have any figures for the old Corolla but I doubt it was ever bettering the mid 40s mpg that this thing seems to achieve without effort and the low 50s that often appear even for relatively short trips starting with a cold engine.)

My opinion about "self charging" hybrid cars has changed quite significantly since using this one. There seems to be much more benefit available than one might imagine and they actually suit the crowded and constrained roads that most drivers use most often rather well.

If the country ever gets to a sensibly priced level of electricity provided by nuclear energy or some other form of reasonably reliable generation the rationale for ICE powered hybrids might be eradicated. But until then, for many people, they can make sense without having to rely on huge yet rapid redevelopment of the country's infrastructure and an already stretched and economically failing wind generation industry that, like everything else, is becoming dominated by China even though they do not seem to be especially concerned about their own use of the same "planet saving" options.
Old 7 Apr 2022, 10:46 (Ref:4105642)   #527
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wish our "leaders" of all parties, would come clean and explain that Renewables are a net cost to the country, whilst UK sourced oil and gas is a net gain, due to taxation on produced product, plus export sales. If they would be honest and allow fracking and North Sea oil and gas in the interim, then the transition to Nukes and Renewables would be an awful lot less painful.

On the subject of vehicles, I read today that very few EVs can do the run from London to Newcastle, without charging. Pleased to note that among those that can, is the Mach E. Although as much as I like Newcastle, I don't really need to go there.
Old 7 Apr 2022, 10:56 (Ref:4105644)   #528
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On another tack, I've been somewhat quiet recently. My investments, having recovered from Covid, then suffered due to Mr Putin. Which has put a dampener on my racing plans for this year. So, to cheer myself up, I have invested in a Canon EOS 1 D XMk III which I hope to use at Le Mans and other locations this year. Fortunately the investments are coming back so I hope to be out with the HRDC from July onwards. The MGB still needs its bodywork repairs but the XJS ahould be back mid May with all new suspension (adjustable dampers), brakes and subframes, ready for Le Mans
Old 7 Apr 2022, 11:17 (Ref:4105647)   #529
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I wish our "leaders" of all parties, would come clean and explain that Renewables are a net cost to the country, whilst UK sourced oil and gas is a net gain, due to taxation on produced product, plus export sales. If they would be honest and allow fracking and North Sea oil and gas in the interim, then the transition to Nukes and Renewables would be an awful lot less painful.

On the subject of vehicles, I read today that very few EVs can do the run from London to Newcastle, without charging. Pleased to note that among those that can, is the Mach E. Although as much as I like Newcastle, I don't really need to go there.
Stand for Parliament, Peter!

I haven’t been to Newcastle for about 3 years (it was work) but it is actually a decent place to go! I do, however, have to go to Falmouth in the near future (work, again) and possibly for several weeks running; a one way trip of 300 miles/ 5 hours and no idea what the charging infrastructure is down there!
This time last year I was making weekly trips to Appledore in Devon for about 4 months - no charging points except at one hotel. And I often did the journey without stopping.
Thank god I still have a diesel!
My B-I-L is waiting for delivery of his new Porsche Taycan (company car tax advantages, although he could have bought a Kia for far less!) and very smug about it he is, too. Although I have pointed out that I can buy a hell of a lot of diesel for the £80k difference in purchase price between his new car and my second hand one. Oh, and I can tow the race car, too.
I guess I am cynical (surely not?), we were all encouraged to buy diesels a few years ago and now we are pariahs. I wonder if it will be the same for EVs in a few years time if the full through life cost of ownership and environmental impact is re-calculated at some point?
And don’t get me started on todays “energy strategy”…..
As I don’t have kids/ grand kids perhaps I am not quite so bothered about the future as many! But I do wonder if the current cost of living and energy prices are not going to result in more early and preventable deaths (suicide, homelessness, hypothermia, malnutrition, general poor health caused by poor living conditions etc) than climate change over the next 20 years will.
Sorry!
Old 7 Apr 2022, 11:34 (Ref:4105648)   #530
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Generally agree with you Andy. Interestingly, we booked a dog friendly holiday cottage for a week in June in Appledore. We will be taking the Grand Cherokee.
Old 7 Apr 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4105653)   #531
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Generally agree with you Andy. Interestingly, we booked a dog friendly holiday cottage for a week in June in Appledore. We will be taking the Grand Cherokee.
The road between Barnstable and Bideford is a bit of a pain as it is being widened over its 7 mile length. Not sure when it is due to finish but I think they were only just starting this time last year so plan your journey times carefully.

I stayed in Bideford which is sort of OK. Appledore front is nice but don’t think that Kevin Wheatcroft’s plans for a small maritime museum (and display of his ex German Navy WW2 E-Boat) are very advanced yet.

Instow is nice and there are some good pubs/ restaurants there.

Do you play golf? If so, Saunton Sands golf club is awesome and well worth a visit.

The Tarka trail, following an old railway line through Bideford and along the river is easy walking.
Old 7 Apr 2022, 11:57 (Ref:4105656)   #532
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't play golf, do drink beer so sounds good.
Old 7 Apr 2022, 12:16 (Ref:4105658)   #533
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agree with what you say about the energy strategy Andy. It sounds like something written by the intern in between parties. No detail.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Apr 2022, 12:36 (Ref:4105660)   #534
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Agree with what you say about the energy strategy Andy. It sounds like something written by the intern in between parties. No detail.

This government doesn't do detail as they will either change their minds about strategy or not follow through at all. So much recent legislation has been done on the hoof and has had to be amended by the Lords or initially voted down by them. Basically Boris doesn't do detail, and just makes up things as he goes along - try to find the TV fly-on-the-wall documentary of him when Foreign Secretary to understand how he operates.
Old 7 Apr 2022, 15:28 (Ref:4105695)   #535
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
This government doesn't do detail as they will either change their minds about strategy or not follow through at all. So much recent legislation has been done on the hoof and has had to be amended by the Lords or initially voted down by them. Basically Boris doesn't do detail, and just makes up things as he goes along - try to find the TV fly-on-the-wall documentary of him when Foreign Secretary to understand how he operates.

Just mention Peppa, he will soon get interested.
Old 7 Apr 2022, 16:29 (Ref:4105698)   #536
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Just mention Peppa, he will soon get interested.

So true!
Old 7 Apr 2022, 19:00 (Ref:4105719)   #537
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Despite being a Lancastrian I think the knee-jerk reaction to a rag-bag of activists to ban fracking was a mistake - although I'm not convinced that the moratorium on concreting the wells is anything other than a bit more political window-dressing. I also think that we should certainly explore the use of "modular" nuclear power generators, that can be produced within relatively short timescales. Why should it take so long to build the large reactors, anyway? - like all major government projects, timescales of 20 years or more seem to be the norm. I know of course that at least half that time is consumed by wrangles over planning permission and whether there was a great crested newt once sighted on the projected build-site!

Of course I've had my "three-score and ten", haven't any kids, and therefore have no direct concern for what will happen by the end of the century, but with what appears to be encouraging signs from the nuclear fusion industry, I am concerned that decisions taken in the name of short-term political expediency are likely to ruin us in the long term....
Old 9 Apr 2022, 00:26 (Ref:4105904)   #538
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
What with the Members Meeting coming up this weekend I hope that the weather holds out like it did for the 73rd one that I filmed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Kp2WOb_A
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2022, 09:02 (Ref:4105940)   #539
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
What with the Members Meeting coming up this weekend I hope that the weather holds out like it did for the 73rd one that I filmed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Kp2WOb_A
A lot of people might not be able to get there .
With PUTINS USEFULL IDIOTS blocking off a lot of the fuel distribution depots ,
a large number number of garages in the South have no diesel and very little petrol at the pumps .
A friend of mine was going to the MM , but has now cancelled because of fuel shortages .
Old 9 Apr 2022, 10:24 (Ref:4105945)   #540
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A lot of people might not be able to get there .
a large number number of garages in the South have no diesel and very little petrol at the pumps .
A friend of mine was going to the MM , but has now cancelled because of fuel shortages .
My sister in law who lives near Canterbury couldn't find any diesel last week !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2022, 10:55 (Ref:4105946)   #541
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Who?

Thankfully the press don't seem to be reporting this which will help keep it under control

Old 9 Apr 2022, 11:29 (Ref:4105947)   #542
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Who?

Thankfully the press don't seem to be reporting this which will help keep it under control

Although the media will never report it , it has been known for a long time that that Russia has been paying protest groups , [like ER ], to try to stop the UKs own energy supplies .https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...missions_.html

Russia has made a lot of money by becoming one of the worlds largest exporters of energy , gas , oil , coal etc .
And if they can control more of the worlds energy , they are on the way to controlling more of the world .
So it is correct that a lot of the leaders of these protest groups are doing it for PUTIN .But their followers are just useful idiots .
Old 9 Apr 2022, 11:44 (Ref:4105950)   #543
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Although the media will never report it , it has been known for a long time that that Russia has been paying protest groups , [like ER ], to try to stop the UKs own energy supplies .https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...missions_.html

Russia has made a lot of money by becoming one of the worlds largest exporters of energy , gas , oil , coal etc .
And if they can control more of the worlds energy , they are on the way to controlling more of the world .
So it is correct that a lot of the leaders of these protest groups are doing it for PUTIN .But their followers are just useful idiots .
As previous, I took this thread as a light hearted space to chat. Not to be subjected to climate change denial disinformation...

That already killed off the EV thread, please don't let that happen to this thread too...
Old 9 Apr 2022, 12:08 (Ref:4105953)   #544
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think perhaps we are somewhat sensitive. There is no doubt in many people's mind that the climate change industry has created certain circumstances, and that any time an entity publishes something that goes against the narrative, it is immediately labled a conspiracy. So, as someone who has helped Russia expand its energy production, I can confirm that the Russian methods are, let's say, less than sporting. Also we have read of their alleged interference in various elections and votes. Although in those cases it suited people to accept that the votes were "influenced". So, for the sake of balance let's accept that there are two sides to the climate argument and stop labelling everyone conspiracy monkeys.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 12:17 (Ref:4105954)   #545
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So, for the sake of balance let's accept that there are two sides to the climate argument and stop labelling everyone conspiracy monkeys.
No problem. For the sake of balance, here's the Independent Australia's take on the author of the article quoted from American Thinker: https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/viscount-christopher-monckton-lord-of-the-lies-on-climate-change,15179

'He has appeared before Congress committees as a climate change expert and his speeches have been watched hundreds of thousands of times on YouTube. But a close examination of some of his statements reveals him to be lord of the lies.'

Now can we get back to the 'banter'?
Old 9 Apr 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4105956)   #546
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed we can, but alos bear in mind the University of East Anglia was found to have massaged findings. Quite interesting really.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 13:07 (Ref:4105959)   #547
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Going back to the question of finding a fuel court with diesel. A tip I have read is to look at Google maps for locations that are busy. That would be a good combat indicator of fuel being available at that location.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4105960)   #548
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Needing diesel to get to Curborough tomorrow and Cadwell next Saturday, I was delighted to find that all 3 of the retailers nearest to me, had fuel this morning.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 17:39 (Ref:4105982)   #549
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We can use one or two aps listing the prices only. Impossible to know if the "station service" has diesel or not in stock. Seems that many run out of E85 those days.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 18:15 (Ref:4105986)   #550
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
We can use one or two aps listing the prices only. Impossible to know if the "station service" has diesel or not in stock. Seems that many run out of E85 those days.
I think there is plenty of fuel here in France because it is too expensive to buy!!

It cost me 107 euros to put less than 60 litres in my diesel Alfa 156 this week...
Closed Thread