Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Mar 2003, 14:54 (Ref:552144)   #1
glurrea
Rookie

glurrea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How's going this definitive season?

I can't watch races on TV because my local cable network doesn't broadcast the right FoxSports Channel (the one who broadcast CCWS races), so I'm interested in to know your thoughts about this CCWS season.

- How the "so many" rookies are going? and the new teams?
- Overtaking? How's overtaking this season? It has getting better?
- How exciting were the first two races?
- Do you miss the "IRL-betrayers"?
- For now, what do you expect for next season? Is it too early for think about that?

I'm reading your posts everty time I can. I like this forum because here are the really CCWS fans.

Keep the good work!!!
Old 29 Mar 2003, 16:18 (Ref:552199)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The standout rookie so far has been Sebastien Bourdais, the French reigning F3000 champion. He's taken both poles, but has made some silly msitakes, that he should remove from his driving pretty soon. Mario Haberfeld, of the new Conquest team, has been extremely fast, but his driving tactics are a little excessive. Englishman Darren Manning has the advantage of driving for the established Walker team (compared to Haberfeld, Montiero and Lemarie, at least), but he's looked very impressive. Montiero and Yoong also look like worthy additions, the others are basically making up the numbers.

Rocketsports seem extremely impressive so far, and look likely to be the first new team to challenge for a win. American Spirit look a little disorganised, and its been Jimmy's experience that has helped. Conquest, and the satellite team Emmo's running, have been superb considering the lack of experience and preparation, I think they made the right choice in switchign from the IRL. PK seem hamstrung by their poor choice of driver though there is potential.

There's been some great overtaking, although not at all points in the races. Wheel-to-wheel scrapping is still a regular thing. The first half of the Monterrey race was alittle dull, but things really improved after that, especially the duels between Manning, Vasser and Dominguez.

Most of the IRL movers have showed themselves to have put money ahead of racing, and the low attendances and poor publicity (despite the Tony George publicity machine doing what it can) show that they've lost out in that sense. All the same, it'd be great to see a full field fo the best drivers and teams all against each other.

I hope next season is more of the same, hopefully with more new teams (Arden and Brand (from F3000)) are both hoping to run occasional races this eyar as a prelude to full 2004 campaigns), Dixon and maybe Franchitti returning, and more races in Europe, but, sadly, lots of street races in the US.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 16:24 (Ref:552201)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebastian Bourdais is the hot young rookie. He is extremley fast in qualifying, but is making some rookie mistakes during the races. Once he cools down a little, we should see him on the podium on a regular basis. After Bourdais, I think Haberfeld, T. Monteiro and Darren Manning have looked good. Hopefully they will get better as the season goes on. Ryan Hunter-Reay might take a little longer to catch up to the other rookies, but I think has a decent future ahead of him. As for Camathias, Lemarie, R. Lavin and Alex Yoong...they are just road blocks. As long as they keep their cars in between the walls and get out of the way of the faster cars, that's all we can hope for. Mi-Jack Conquest, Fittipaldi-Dingman, and ASTJ look like solid based teams. CART fans better pray for PK racing. A first step would be to bring in Salo as their driver...or their second driver. The overtaking is a little better this season, but the races would be a lot better if they got rid of the mandatory pit windows. The cars are much more exciting to watch, now that they don't have traction control and the torque is higher. I miss Franchitti and Dixon, but none of the other former CART drivers. Hope I never see little Mikey Andretti ever again. Im not thinking about 2004 to much...it's 2005 that Im excited and worried about. I hope that you (qlurrea) are going to be a regular now on this great racing forum.
P.S. Do you (can you) listen to the races on cart.com?, because it's a great way to keep up with what's happening in CART.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 17:06 (Ref:552243)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gret minds seem to think alive Dov. We've written practically the same stuff, although your point about the improvement from losing tarction control is very true.

Good point about the live commentary on CART.com,t hey also have a timing board during the race which is pretty useful, even though it referred to 'David Manning' during the first race.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 18:21 (Ref:552280)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
"David Manning" It's not the first time that cart.com has made a mistake and it won't be their last. I forgot in my first thread (rookie teams) about RocketSports. They are a good team. A nice owner, sometimes erractic, but a decent driver in TAG. I really hope TAG gets his first win this year. He deserves it.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 19:31 (Ref:552331)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bourdais has made mistakes, some rookie, some just normal. He's the man to watch. Harberfield had some real issues in the first race, but was very professional in the second race. He made Bruno look amaturish. He was in a slower car so there wasn't much he could do.

The overtaking has been pretty good this year, certainly better than last year.

Go to cart.com, select multimedia on the side bar, speed on demand. You can watch St. Petes right now.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 22:49 (Ref:552476)   #7
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Haberfeld guy could be good if his stoopid crew could fix his car so that it won't jerk across the whole damn track everytime a faster car approaches. That Avril Lavin fellow looks like the next Montoya now that Speedy Gonzalez forgot his check book again. And forget about that Newman-Haas rookie from Freedom, the best rookie ever is Alex Yoong. I can't believe he beat the Swiss legend Camathias and the skiing legend Patrick Lemarie! Man the dude is so fast that Ferrari should have fired Michael Schumacher so Yoong can break all them records.

Manning would be better if he has a real teammate to work with. Hunter-Reay should have done another year in Atlantics so his confidence won't be ruined. Monteiro has turned out to be somewhat of a pleasent surprise.

Who wants the professional teams like Ganassi and Penske when you can have the Coyne rent-a-rides!

Seriously the passing has come back basically because TC is gone and you have a quarter of the field acting as moving chicanes. Now it would be even better if they really do get rid of the dumass mandatory pitstop rule for the rest of the season except for Fontana.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 23:16 (Ref:552492)   #8
glurrea
Rookie

glurrea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like Bourdais it's your favorite rookie!!!

Hey corkholio!!! I don't know if you're joking about Yoong. He had to do tremendous improvement over the winter for to deserve your comment. I watch him in F1 and he was regularly overshadowed by Webber. Well, this isn't a F1 forum. Cool joke about Coyne!!!

And the mandatory pitstop rule seems to be a very disgusting rule for the fans. But yes, it would be valid only in Fontana.

Dov: why 2005?

Poor Franchitti... I guess he's passing a very boring moment in his racing life. Do you welcome him, if he's coming back next year?

I was thinking CCWS at Brands Hatch will be a very special race. Well, it's Brands Hatch, one of the most beautiful tracks on earth!!! I think it's a good replacement for the glorious Road America. Oh, Road America, why are you leaving? It's a really, really big miss for CCWS. I hope they fix all that legal stuff, and who knows? maybe it come back for 2004
Old 30 Mar 2003, 01:18 (Ref:552567)   #9
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Yes corkholio was joking about Alex Yoong. Im interested in 2004, but it's 2005 when other engine manufactures are expected to join CART. Also CART will most likley go from the V8 Turbo to the NA V10 in 2005. I like the V8 Turbo, but CART may have no choice, because other engine manufactures are pushing for the NA V10. I don't feel sorry for Franchitti, Dixon or Kaanan...but I would welcome them back to CART. As for DeFerran and Castro-Neves...they left a year earlier with Roger Penske. If they wanted to, they could have found rides with other CART teams, so at this moment Im not sure I would welcome those two back. Why would I welcome back Franchitti, Dixon and Kaanan? Because at the end of (CART'S) 2002 season, it looked like CART would close it's doors for good or at least in the near future. It could still happen (pray that it doesn't), I think that Franchitti and Dixon were pressured by their managers, little Chippi Ganassi and little Mikey Andretti. Some people in this forum believe that Franchitti and Dixon should have had the balls like Paul Tracy and stayed in CART. Paul Tracy was great for taking that stand and telling the IRL to shove it. From Franchitti's and Dixon's point of view...if they turned down the IRL and let's say CART folds with in a few years, then what? Then when they go knocking on Tony George's door, they would most likley get it shut in their face. Now Dixon may have a slight chance of going to F1 in the future if he's lucky, as for Franchitti...that train has already left the station. As for Brands Hatch, Im glad it's on the CART calander, but I won't be happy until they use the full course.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 03:36 (Ref:552638)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still think a lot of the IRL defectors felt it was the safer move going to the IRL. However, had drivers stood up and said CART or nothing then it wouldn't have happened the same.

If Dixon's goal is F1, he's not going to get their through F1. I've said it multiple times (more in the F1 forum) that Dixon wasn't mature enough as a driver to go to F1. He needed atleast another year of prep. IRL is not going to prepare him. If he goes to F1 and does well immediately, then it would merely show a weakness in F1's field. He certainly had nothing on Bruno last year and I don't think Bruno is better than Bourdais, Tracy or Carpantier.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 05:41 (Ref:552678)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
It's the IRL defectors that bad mouthed CART and tried to ruin it, who I can never forgive. Michael Andretti, Chip Ganassi, Barry Green's brother or cousin, who worked on Team Green, got in a argument with PT...saying that CART was going to die. Those people can never be forgiven. They made their names (careers) in CART and then they screwed us...the loyal fans of CART, who over the years spent money on expensive racing tickets, hats, shirts, videos, die-cast model race cars and so on and so on. Imagine the CART fans who have traveled far distances just to see a race. Well Im going to stop ranting now, go in my room and throw a few darts in the old dart board...with Mikey Andretti's face (poster) on the front of it.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 10:11 (Ref:552755)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quite right Dov, it's Barry's brotehr Kim Green you're referring to of course. Ganassi is perhaps the worst of the lot - he's got rich and successful out of bringing drivers over from Europe (he's used 4 in total), and now he's complaining that the championship is full of foreigners.... and its not like he's got Americans running for him in the IRL. Penske's the same, hypocritical and ignorant to the last.

Dixon was contracted to Toyota, so he basically had no choice but to follow what they wanted him to do. Its clear that he's viewing this as a means to an end - he clearly hopes to get a crack with the Toyota F1 team. Franchitti, also, wrongly believed that CART was dying (no doubt Mikey and Kim conned him), and is widely beleived to want to return to CART. So I guess he can come back. Kanaan, being such a great oval racer, and knowing that Nunn was unlikely to race in CART this year, probably made a sensible choice. But he can come back.