Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 31 Jan 2001, 09:54 (Ref:61304)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which motorsport book could you not be without??? What F1 tome do you always rely on for pieces of insignificant and somewhat tiring trivia??? (Or highly interesting nuggets of info...)

Old 6 Feb 2001, 20:03 (Ref:62912)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'll reply to it, then

i couldn't be without my autocourse cart annual 2000-2001 purchased lovingly at the autosport show. nor could i be without my diary, autographed by me and juan montoya.

other precious books include my beloved autocourse cart annuals from 1997-98, and 1999-2000. oh, and my copy of the autobiography of a 1 year old (it is f1...look at kimi....)
Old 7 Feb 2001, 01:04 (Ref:62992)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
For me its the "Grand Prix data book" written by David Hayhoe and David Holland.
I have the 1997 edition which I believe is the latest one..awesome book full of every single grand prix from 1950 and loads of other information.

if ya dont have it i suggest you get it
Old 7 Feb 2001, 01:20 (Ref:62993)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oo, there was me about to start a thread about "Starting a Motorsport Library" and here's a perfect candidate already waiting on the forum.

Absolutely essential reading for all statistics junkies is

"A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing" by Paul Sheldon and Duncan Rabagliati.

It is a complete race report of every Grand Prix and Formula 2 race since 1906. Actually, it goes back as far as 1896, but the first GP wasn't called a GP till 1906. It includes every entrant, every result, even the numbers on the cars whenever they are known, It is currently up to volume 11, and they're still only as far as 1984.

The downside is that they come in a worldwide limited edition of 500 per volume, and they cost £50 apiece. But a great resource.

Sheldon and Rabagliati have also released similar books on F3, F5000, Tasman and South African races, and have published Robert Barker's history of every race which ever took place at Goodwood.

In a similar vein, "Time and Two Seats" does exactly the same job, but for World Sportscars from 1953 to 1992.

As a final thought, never ever discount the humble magazine. It is amazing how much you can glean from a small pile of old Motor Sport back issues. And they are still daftly cheap to buy.
Old 8 Feb 2001, 13:27 (Ref:63397)   #5
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me who stands in WHSmith each week reading the F1 bits of Autosprout and never actually buys a copy???

I couldn't be without my Virgin Guide to F1 - it's indispensable for the 'Challenge' thread in the Gravel Trap...

Old 8 Feb 2001, 15:17 (Ref:63415)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i get autosport on subscription every year shared with my dad, so i can do the reading thing in the bath, and not whsmith. used to do that, though.

my old copies of autosport provide me with all the information i would ever need. they're currently helping me with a little article i'm trying to write...

Old 8 Feb 2001, 17:49 (Ref:63433)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Absolutely - got to keep your Autosports. They build up into a fabulous archive. Also really good wall insulation after you've built up a couple of decades' worth!

Minardi Fan, if you knew just how much WH Smith browsers are a pet hate of mine....

Actually, they don't usually read Autosport - more usually they are gawping at Max Power. Have they no shame?
Old 8 Feb 2001, 20:03 (Ref:63446)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a sign in our local newsagents on the rail below the car magazines (funnily enough ) which reads:

This is a newsagents. If you want a good read, the library is just around the corner.

It makes me feel guilty for scanning the contents page!!

If it was my shop, I'd add: "...Now buy something, or GET OUT!!

Old 13 Feb 2001, 11:38 (Ref:64526)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to be an absolute shocker for reading the magazines at the newsagent's. Now I don't need magazines anymore, thanks to the internet I can get everything I want to know about racing for free!
Old 13 Feb 2001, 11:45 (Ref:64527)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
errr.......back on topic, my favouite book, the one I couldn't live with out and constantly keep referring back to is "Australia's Greatest Motor Race 1960-1989" by Bill Tuckey.

Written by one of Australia's leading motoring writers, and a former Bathurst 500 competitor, it is a detailed history of that first sunday in October. From it's humble beginnings as a club level 500 mile race for showroom standard sedans at Phillip Island, to it's present status as the biggest, most important race in Australia. A multi million dollar commercial event contested by leading works teams & professional drivers in Group A touring cars over 1000km at Bathurst.

The book has many photos, a full report of every race, including the class competition, not just the outright race, a grid sheet and official results.
Old 13 Feb 2001, 12:17 (Ref:64529)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
David, you lucky, lucky, lucky....

If you only knew how long I've been looking for my own copy of that book! I've got the other Bathurst bible, "Cradle of Australian Motor Sport", but of course it doesn't report any of the runnings of the "Great Race", leaving it to the Tuckey book. And that one didn't get imported.

*harumph*

You learn something new every day. I only knew Bill Tuckey's reputation as a writer. I never even realised he was a competitor one time. What did he run?
Old 13 Feb 2001, 12:41 (Ref:64534)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I can answer that question for you if I refer to one of my books, hmmmm.....which one should I refer to?

I'll get back to you shortly Tim.
Old 18 Feb 2001, 18:05 (Ref:65397)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Absolutely essential reading for all statistics junkies is

"A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing" by Paul Sheldon and Duncan Rabagliati.

It is a complete race report of every Grand Prix and Formula 2 race since 1906. Actually, it goes back as far as 1896, but the first GP wasn't called a GP till 1906. It includes every entrant, every result, even the numbers on the cars whenever they are known, It is currently up to volume 11, and they're still only as far as 1984.

The downside is that they come in a worldwide limited edition of 500 per volume, and they cost £50 apiece. But a great resource.
Now, I'm an absolute statistics junkie, so that's a book series I would love to have! I can live with the cost, but why on earth is the edition limited to 500? If they can sell more, they should print more, yes? I'll search for these books in Internet book stores and at eBay, and see what I can find. Thanks a lot for the tip, Tim!

To answer the question of the topic, I've got a book called "Grand Prix - The Complete Guide", by Trevor R. Griffiths. Great book, which contains all results of F1 Grands Prix from 1950-97, plus an alphabetical list of all drivers competing in this period (yes, indeed, this one is my essential for the "Challenge"-thread in the Trap, ouch, I've just revealed myself ).
Old 23 Feb 2001, 15:59 (Ref:66240)   #14
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a bit of a tech nut, my favourite book would have to be Giorgio Piola's "F1 Technical Analysis - '98"

I'm also very fond of "Quicksilver - An investigation into the development of German Grand Prix Racing Cars 1934-1939" by Cameron Earl. A superb book which shows that unlimited budgets are not a McLaren/Ferrari invention. The inclusion of the technical drawings is really good
Old 25 Feb 2001, 12:45 (Ref:66574)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Tim, I've finally got around to researching Bill Tuckey's history as a competitor at Bathurst.

In 1967 he shared a Fiat 124 with fellow journalist Max Stahl. They finished 20th outright of 48 finishers from 60 starters. They were 8th in class of 15 finishers from 19 starters.

In 1968 Bill Tuckey again drove a Fiat 124, this time with Allan Grice who was making his Bathurst debut. They finished 18th outright. Again there were 48 finishers from 60 starters. They were 9th in class of 13 finishers from 17 starters.

In 1969 Tuckey shared a Holden Monaro GTS350 with Sib Petralia. The car retired from the 130 lap race due to engine failure, after completing 44 laps.

As far as I can see, those three entires are the only mention of Bill Tuckey, that I could find in the results.
Old 7 Mar 2001, 23:31 (Ref:69276)   #16
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could not live without my "Jean Alesi - itineraire d'un champion"...a wonderful book. But I also couldn't live without "Ayrton Senna - Leben am Limit". I also always have with me a Formula-1 chronicle with all the results of all times...but the emotional worth is not too high...lol!