Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 9 Jun 2010, 03:38 (Ref:2707058)   #601
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What did Rahal say in the interviews?

The only reason Rahal didnt pick up the Coyne drive was the Dale was only offering the ride if Graham signed a 2 year deal.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 03:49 (Ref:2707060)   #602
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
What did Rahal say in the interviews?

The only reason Rahal didnt pick up the Coyne drive was the Dale was only offering the ride if Graham signed a 2 year deal.
I would have thought a 2 year deal would have been better than a part time drive with Sarah Fisher any day. The contract can be renegociated, once he's got the drive and then produces results.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 04:11 (Ref:2707063)   #603
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon DRT, my facts aren't trustworthy and my opinions are even worse.

Just get a copy of Rahal's post-race interview from the Versus Long Beach broadcast, and you'll have the facts.

Lots of damage control in print afterwards, detailing the source of Graham's frustration.

Nobody knows if the contract length was the sole factor that nixed a deal with DCR: the paycheck was not announced, and engineer Bill Pappas had left for KVR with no experienced replacement on the team at that time. No investing sponsors were on board with Coyne, until he signed Duno long after negotions with Rahal had ended.

Lloyd placed fourth at Indy. Qualified P6 and finished P8 at Texas. In my suspect opinion, the announced changes and continued progress at DCR are yeilding good results.

Lloyd never raced an IndyCar on a road course before Brazil, so perhaps the team's progress coold have come even sooner with a more experienced driver for input. No matter, Alex is doing nicely and Rahal intimates he has a job lined up.

Deoending on who you wish to believe, that is.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2707329)   #604
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would have thought a 2 year deal would have been better than a part time drive with Sarah Fisher any day. The contract can be renegociated, once he's got the drive and then produces results.
He wanted a one year deal. Hell he probably would have taken a one year deal with the option for a second. Coyne wouldn't back down, and pretty much tried to screw Graham. If he wanted Graham long term, why did he go with a two year contract? If it was a young American that he wanted, then why not JR Hildebrand or John Michael Edwards when Rahal turned them down? If you say Rahal is in the wrong for thinking he was too good for Coyne, then Coyne's decision to not go after one of two potential superstars has to be called into question.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2707532)   #605
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
He wanted a one year deal. Hell he probably would have taken a one year deal with the option for a second. Coyne wouldn't back down, and pretty much tried to screw Graham. If he wanted Graham long term, why did he go with a two year contract? If it was a young American that he wanted, then why not JR Hildebrand or John Michael Edwards when Rahal turned them down? If you say Rahal is in the wrong for thinking he was too good for Coyne, then Coyne's decision to not go after one of two potential superstars has to be called into question.
I just thought that a permanent drive would have been better than a part time drive.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2707602)   #606
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF the contract length was the SOLE reason for Rahal rejecting the offer, he made his choice and there you go.

Contract buyouts are as much a part of professional sports as free agency. One choice would have been to take the full time ride, make the best of it, and re-evaluate his position at the end of the season.

Making the best of it may have turned out well for Rahal: it's working out for Lloyd, and that was my point. Rahal is a spectator, who ran several races in a car less capable than the one Coyne is putting on track.

I can find you scads of rumor that Coyne next negotiated with J.R. Hildebrand to drive the #19 car, but he didn't tell me that so I can't confirm it.

All public reports have stated that Coyne is funding the #19 car out of his own pocket. Does he have enough money to run the full season? The Boy Scouts think so, but their support is an endorsement, not a paid sponsorship.

That's one reason why the "park Milka" movement is objectionable to me. If Coyne lost the Citgo sponsorship on Duno's car, he may not be able to continue running the #18 OR the #19.

So drivers negotiating with Coyne had several reasons to view the offer with skepticism. One driver hungry enough for the opportunity took the job. At least one other didn't.

Whether you think Rahal made the right decision is up to you. He's not going back to SFR, and if he has another deal to finish the season perhaps he made the best choice in the long run.

Alex Lloyd certainly did.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2707892)   #607
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Graham Rahal reportedly has a deal in place to race the #24 D&R car at Iowa and Watkins Glen.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2707895)   #608
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I just thought that a permanent drive would have been better than a part time drive.
I am sure Will Power has a different opinion.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 01:12 (Ref:2707916)   #609
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Interview with Lloyd from today:

http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?S...StoryID=290874

Best word of the interview: "continuity"
Old 10 Jun 2010, 01:21 (Ref:2707919)   #610
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
IF the contract length was the SOLE reason for Rahal rejecting the offer, he made his choice and there you go.

Contract buyouts are as much a part of professional sports as free agency. One choice would have been to take the full time ride, make the best of it, and re-evaluate his position at the end of the season.

Making the best of it may have turned out well for Rahal: it's working out for Lloyd, and that was my point. Rahal is a spectator, who ran several races in a car less capable than the one Coyne is putting on track.

I can find you scads of rumor that Coyne next negotiated with J.R. Hildebrand to drive the #19 car, but he didn't tell me that so I can't confirm it.

All public reports have stated that Coyne is funding the #19 car out of his own pocket. Does he have enough money to run the full season? The Boy Scouts think so, but their support is an endorsement, not a paid sponsorship.

That's one reason why the "park Milka" movement is objectionable to me. If Coyne lost the Citgo sponsorship on Duno's car, he may not be able to continue running the #18 OR the #19.

So drivers negotiating with Coyne had several reasons to view the offer with skepticism. One driver hungry enough for the opportunity took the job. At least one other didn't.

Whether you think Rahal made the right decision is up to you. He's not going back to SFR, and if he has another deal to finish the season perhaps he made the best choice in the long run.

Alex Lloyd certainly did.
What about Edwards? Everyone is going goo goo gaa gaa over Simona, and Edwards beat her(not convincingly, but still). The kid is hard done by and that is the main reason I want Mazda back in IndyCar. He needs to be in open wheel, not peddling a tube framed freak of a car. He'd be another who fits directly in the Boy Scouts mode. Why didn't Coyne go after him?
Old 10 Jun 2010, 01:25 (Ref:2707920)   #611
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
That's a road he can well and truly cross next year, but if Ganassi really is looking for a third entry, it's looking very much like Graham will be in that picture. (He's still sponsored by McDonalds.)

If the D&R stuff is true, he'll be back in the same team as Justin Wilson for the roadies. That'd be good for him. I'd rather learn from and hone my skills against one of the best road racers in the biz, than be babysitting Milka Duno.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 01:35 (Ref:2707925)   #612
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Eh?
Old 10 Jun 2010, 01:46 (Ref:2707934)   #613
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
You can tell me all about Edwards, I don't know anything about him.

Or you could start with something to prove this:

"(He's still sponsored by McDonalds.)"

As for this: "If the D&R stuff is true..."

http://www.popoffvalve.com/2010/6/9/...the-grahamboni

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100609/IRL/100609846

Mutoh junked another car testing at Iowa, he's OK. Hopefully Haas isn't running low, as they sold some of their gear to KV earlier in the year. That's another result of McDonald's pulling their sponsorship, which is why Rahal lost his seat.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2708440)   #614
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
You can tell me all about Edwards, I don't know anything about him.
He's the youngest ever to hold an FIA racing license, Won a race in the FR 2.0 NEC while pulling double duty in that series and in Eurocup(finished 5th in NEC, and 16th in Eurocup, beating current Red Bull Drivers Sebastien Buemi, and Brendan Hartley, along with plenty of drivers who are competing in the junior categories), 2008 Star Mazda Champion, 2009 Mazda Atlantics Champion.

If he went back to Europe to compete in FR 2.0, he'd STILL be considered pretty young, and if he was successful enough to move up the ladder each year, he'd still make F1 each year, and considering his record, he could be a front runner in WSbR this season, the championship Bertrand Baguette won last year. He could be a superstar in IndyCar and he didn't so much as get a sniff, from anybody.

Quote:
Or you could start with something to prove this:

"(He's still sponsored by McDonalds.)"

It's not much, but McDonald's sponsorship was on his helmet for Indy. Might have been an Indy only thing, though.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2708474)   #615
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Eh?
Instead of driving for a mid-pack team full-time in 2009, Power made a part-time deal with Penske part-time deal. Now he has a full-season deal with one of the top teams and is 3 points behind the championship leader with two wins.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2708546)   #616
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Instead of driving for a mid-pack team full-time in 2009, Power made a part-time deal with Penske part-time deal. Now he has a full-season deal with one of the top teams and is 3 points behind the championship leader with two wins.
I'm aware of that and it in his case it worked out well.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2708595)   #617
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
OK Thanks claus, I meant anything about Edwards getting a shot at IRL. Same for Summerton.

As for Graham, at least he gets a free cheeseburger now and then. I was unaware that he was still getting any support but it can't be much at all.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2708735)   #618
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
OK Thanks claus, I meant anything about Edwards getting a shot at IRL. Same for Summerton.

As for Graham, at least he gets a free cheeseburger now and then. I was unaware that he was still getting any support but it can't be much at all.
Actually I think it was Indy only.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2708746)   #619
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
OK, a free cheeseburger then. Not now.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 04:25 (Ref:2708869)   #620
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Mitch Davis is the name of the guy who deserves the credit at Dale Coyne. News to me, Cavin gave him a shout out on Trackside.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 04:59 (Ref:2708881)   #621
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Bit of housekeeping, in case anyone cares...

The "Pop Off" article I cited is the only place where it has been written that Rahal's deal is more than one race, so far. Nobody else has penciled in GR for Watkins Glen.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2709220)   #622
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
claus,

Either you took a nailgun to your Alex Lloyd voodoo doll, or my praise is another good reason to keep

Poor chap has appendicitis.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2709334)   #623
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
claus,

Either you took a nailgun to your Alex Lloyd voodoo doll, or my praise is another good reason to keep

Poor chap has appendicitis.
What voodoo doll?
Old 11 Jun 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2709469)   #624
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know how Adam Carroll went in his test this week, any comparable lap times?
Old 11 Jun 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2709504)   #625
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Hi cds,

I'm pretty sure the whole deal was a washout, Lloyd ran one lap before the rain and nobody brought wet tires to the Glen. If anybody knows different, or there's any more news, you'll hear about it.

Side note is that AA is prepping a car for Hunter-Reay at Iowa, no word he will be driving it yet.