Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2897770)   #51
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pictures from Sunday HSCC:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=5cef2e415c
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:36 (Ref:2897773)   #52
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see you Andrew,hope you managed to keep dry yesterday afternoon?
For those of us who dont do FB,is there somewhere else to view your photo's?
Also great to have finally met Mr Morning gents,nice talking to you Peter,hope your man was happy with his three lap's.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2897775)   #53
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You do not need to be on Facebook to see them Terry. Just click on the link. If by chance you get a box popping up saying 'Log in' whilst viewing them, just click 'cancel' or 'ignore' or whatever it is to get rid of it. Yes stayed fairly dry..but pretty cold out there in the sticks with the strong breeze! Good to see you too and nice to see the Greenway family out in force to present Norman's trophy to Benn Simms.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2897792)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have a look then Andrew,thanks.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2897809)   #55
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
What a great weekend's racing. Only concern is the number of races that were safety car'd or red flagged. I have a feeling it might have been most? Unfamilarity with the new infield section and difficult conditions partly to blame, but perhaps circuit could work out a quicker way to retrieve or move cars from that section - not criticising anyone, but seemed to be a bit more awkward than it ought. Interested in what others thought. Best, Robert
Hi all, I was one of the unfortunates to have to be picked up (literally!) by the snatch-truck. The HRS race on Saturday was safety-car'd for what seemed an age , however the problem was that the original tow-truck sent to get me at the Agostini hairpin was not going to work as I had a sheared half-shaft leaving left rear wheel hanging off! A few moments later the hoist arrived and then it took a while to work out how best to lift my Lenham.
Apologies for the delay however I gather the last two laps were very exciting!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2897820)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, presumably Andy was under cover if he stayed dry because the day steadily deteriorated and rain was constant from about 3.00 ish -I got very wet, but having been going to these events for 45 years tend to carry various changes of suitable clothing in the car! It was a big contrast to Day 1. Loads of races during the day, and I guess I would be questioning the use of the long Snet 300 circuit for 15 minute sprint races; you get no more than 6 to 8 laps, and if interrupted by red flag/SC period, then you won't get much racing at all. However, it had to be tried but suggest a review of the Day 2 format for the future maybe. Some excellent racing nevertheless.

Good to meet up with more 10-Tenth friends but sorry that I had only the briefest of chats with Iain R, and didn't manage to speak to Colin McKay, Benn Simms and Robert Barrie amongst others; good to make some new acquaintances though, and was finally able to accept that cup of coffee from Dik Dixon that was first offered about 2 years ago!

I will post pics up on this meet, and for the main event will endeavour to put up at least one pic of each entry. Not sure I'll be able to manage the marathon efforts of the last couple of years but will have a go.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2897827)   #57
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I have to say that Red Rocket performed brilliantly over the w/end,how often can you get your car snatched and delivered into your garage? Thats what happened with the Green MGB,now that is service for you!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2897842)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit & Paddock - Saturday

A few P & P pics to kick off:-
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC3HSnet10&11June2011 010wb.jpg   HSCC3HSnet10&11June2011 023wb.jpg   HSCC3HSnet10&11June2011 025wb.jpg  

HSCC3HSnet10&11June2011 030wb.jpg   HSCC3HSnet10&11June2011 036wb.jpg   HSCC3HSnet10&11June2011 062wb.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2897863)   #59
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 1 - Historic Road Sports

Starters - 14
Classified -12
Duration - 40 minutes

Supported by Moss Europe Limited, this would have been a disappointing entry number for a sprint race, let alone 40 minutes but there was some good racing at the front and a very welcome addition to the grid was the De Tomaso Mangusta (15) of Mike Eagles. It qualified 6th and finished 9th. That it finished at all was a bit of a miracle because apart from having the bonnet flapping about for some of the race, to say it was a handful in corners would be an understatement. Robert Barrie's race lasted one lap in the Lotus 7. Paul Toombs had had a handy 1.5 second advantage in qualifying in his Elan (46) over Peter Thomas's Marcos 1800GT (65) but that gap was not so pronounced during the race, as Thomas kept the Elan well in sight until Paul made a mistake in the Esses (I think) and the Marcos took the lead. I seem to recall that this situation was maintained during the pit stops and the subsequent safety car period whilst the Ian Burford Lenham Le Mans Coupe was recovered from the exit of Agostini. However, Paul was able to retake the lead going into Agostini (see pic below) and although Thomas stayed well in contention, the Elan took the chequered flag by just 0.110 secs. Curiously it's best time was 1.6 seconds quicker than the Marcos, so it does seem that there was performance in hand. Larry Kennedy's Lotus Elan S4 was 3rd.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4558wb.jpg   IMG_4592wb.jpg   IMG_4637wb.jpg  

IMG_4712wb.jpg   IMG_4726wb.jpg   IMG_4741wb.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2897871)   #60
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRS

A tiny bit of carburettor linkage broke on the 7. Annoying. I doubt if I could have kept up with the pace set by Paul and Peter anyway - Paul is really on it this year. Best, Robert
Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2897873)   #61
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Good to see you Andrew,hope you managed to keep dry yesterday afternoon?
For those of us who dont do FB,is there somewhere else to view your photo's?
Also great to have finally met Mr Morning gents,nice talking to you Peter,hope your man was happy with his three lap's.
Nice to meet you too Terry. My stepson Nick (Eveningladies) had to do the laps in the lunchbreak behind the safety car as the Cortina was qualified in the practice session by the other driver, Craig Dolby. Craig won his race in drizzle conditions which meant that Nick could have started the second race from pole but he elected to start from the back as it was raining heavily for the second historic saloon race and he didn't enjoy it one bit and had three or four 'grassy' excursions but still managed to finish.

Despite the weather a great day and a credit to the HSCC.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2897886)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Robert, I did wonder! Shame though, and very frustrating, I should imagine!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2897897)   #63
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - 70's Road Sports

Starters - 20
Classified - 16
Duration - 20 minutes.

Julian Barter qualified his TVR 3000M (9) 2.5 seconds clear of next man, Ian Jacobs in the big Mercedes 450SL but in any event Jacobs dropped it very early on on lap 1 - great shame, as it is an impressive looking and sounding beast! - so Julian more or less controlled the race with his Dad, Charles, keeping a respectful distance behind in the Datsun 240Z (24). Barter senior was having to watch his mirrors though as Paul Anderson's Porsche 928 (64) was not that far behind, finishing 3rd, 2.4 seconds behind the Datsun, with Adam Bagnall's E-Type (2) 4th:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4747wb.jpg   IMG_4760wb.jpg   IMG_4772wb.jpg  

IMG_4777wb.jpg   IMG_4821wb.jpg   IMG_4833wb.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2897913)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - Jim Russell Trophy Race for 500cc F3 cars

Starters - 21
Classified - 13
Duration - 20 minutes

A high attrition rate, but I love the sounds and smells that emanate from these cars, and the fact that you can see their pilots working away at the wheel. Nigel Ashman was in a class of his own and he took the win by 17.33 seconds in his Cooper Mk9 (1). Richard Ellingworth was 2nd in his Keift Parker (12) and David Lecoq 3rd in the Petty F3 (29). I never cease to be amazed at the cars that appear in these races, one-offs and all sorts which I've never heard of before; the last pic shows Darrell Woods in his Staride Mk3 (6):-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4945wb.jpg   IMG_4950wb.jpg   IMG_4958wb.jpg  

IMG_4971wb.jpg   IMG_4999wb.jpg   IMG_5038wb.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2897931)   #65
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As ever superb commentary John, and totally agree about the 500's - would love to see more of them at HSCC meetings.
Looking at the result sheets I was amazed how quick the Merc 450 was - I thought it would be too heavy. I was on the pit wall when the De Tomaso went past and its rear bonnet popped up - I can only think that any handling issues would have been magnified by it!!!
Sorryto hear about the Lenham - such a pretty car. It looks like the same place on the track that the green MGB lost its drive shaft in our race.
Whilst on the subject of safety cars and marshalling I must congratulate the whole safety team in the 3 Hour - the marshalls where excellant and safety car driven at a decent pace which the whole field was able to keep to - if you look on the lap times they only dipped to 3.20 area under the SC.
As for the 300 track - I am a fan!!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2897984)   #66
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - 70's Road Sports

Starters - 18
Classified - 16
Duration - 20 minutes.

Simon, the Merc has been going quicker, but it fared no better this second time around. Jacobs made a stonking start from the back, got to about 6th in the space of about a quarter of a lap and then apparently threw it off in a repeat of his earlier 'off'. Scratch one Merc. Julian Barter won this one by 7 seconds but this time it was Paul Anderson in the Porsche 928 who gave chase, finding about 1.5 sec over his best lap in the earlier race and easily pulling away from Charles Barter who finished a distant 3rd 14 seconds behind the Porsche. Bagnall was again 4th in the E-type. The 928 sounded superb and it would have been an aural delight to have heard the Jacobs 450SL bellowing up the Senna Straight alongside it!:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5047wb.jpg   IMG_5053wb.jpg   IMG_5074wb.jpg  

IMG_5118wb.jpg   IMG_5132wb.jpg   IMG_5197wb.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2898012)   #67
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it seems that the 70's Roadsports attracts engineering challenges like the 928, Stag and the Merc. They all seem to get there eventually and make quick cars (the 928 being a good example, several years down the line its now very quick and seemingly reliable). Is Bruce Stapleton not out anymore in his Morgan?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2898032)   #68
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pleased with my 13th in qualifying given the strength of the grid, and found the 300 a delight first time out with the 1st lap the fastest, but my Snet jinx came back to haunt me later in the day.....

The rain started spitting as we came in from practice and a phone call from my remote forecaster suggested it would start proper at about 1 o'clock and get worse as the afternoon wore on. This was not all bad news as it meant I could at last try out the wet tyres I bought a year ago & experiment with the set up, so we changed everything over. By 2pm in the assembly area it was still barely damp so I dropped the pressures. A good start got me coming past the car in front at a considerable speed differential when he moved over towards the pitwall. It was so close I had to assume he hadn't seen me and had to brake hard losing several places, v lucky not to touch, so my usual tactic of gaining places at the start and giving them all away in the race didn't apply. After the usual scramble round turn 1 it became a pretty lonely race, and when the rain started in earnest it was red flagged after fluid was dropped at Bomb Hole on lap 4.

Race 2 and by now we had proper rain, so I was looking forward to seeing how the changes we'd made to the car worked or otherwise. Probably because of the rain I jumped straight in the car, drove down to the assembly area and sat there without the usual attempt at looking relaxed by nonchalantly leaning on the bonnet. I believe all the top drivers stick to a very specific routine on race day, bad luck to change it and all that, and I can confirm that there is sound thinking behind this - on the warm up lap my bonnet blew off because I hadn't checked the pins. So that was that - my thanks to the marshals on post 5 for checking if I would be allowed out without it, in hindsight I shouldn't have stopped and just risked a black flag. Ho hum.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2898042)   #69
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Whilst on the subject of safety cars and marshalling I must congratulate the whole safety team in the 3 Hour - the marshalls where excellant and safety car driven at a decent pace which the whole field was able to keep to - if you look on the lap times they only dipped to 3.20 area under the SC.
As for the 300 track - I am a fan!!

My apologies for not also adding thanks and 'well done' to all the HSCC, marshals and rescue teams for their efforts when posting yesterday. The atmosphere at this meeting is great and Snetterton as a venue gets better and better.

Glad you like the 300 Simon, it was interesting for me as previous races on it were either with Escort on slicks or 924 with sticky Toyos. Suffice to say that Suzanne's B and me were not 'at one' for a few laps as found myself approaching corners way too fast for the Dunlop grip available! A few hairy moments but soon found Palmer and Hamilton in particular great fun. On both could hang the inside front wheel over kerb and then let car drift across... (holding breath ) Now have Murrays just about sussed Oggies is probably the most awkward corner, especially when it falls between two gears.

On Sunday tried out the 2nd spectator bank which is now open. More great viewing- Coram, Murrays, all infield and main straight. You only really lose sight when cars go under bridge to esses or are behind pits, but as discovered, when windy and raining it's not quite so pleasant.

Sorry to hear about your bonnet Colin- did it do much damage? Oh, and great pics John. Keep 'em coming!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2898151)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Autosport 3 Hours - Start

Starters - 25
Classified - 18

Entry was down on previous years, mainly because of the reduced number of GT cars entered although there were one or two notable sports racers absent as well. However, the quality was there. Having identified 3 B8s and the Crossle 9S as the main protaganists earlier on in this thread, I was surprised to see that they had all been pipped to pole, and by no less than 1.8 seconds, by the Brian Casey/Greg Caton Lenham P59 Spyder (41), Caton doing the time. Visions of Caton scampering off initially into the distant appeared to be realised when he came by with a substantial lead at the end of the first lap (see pic 5 below). However, over the long haul it was the second all B8 row of Nick Fleming/Luke Stevens (42) and Ed Lovett/Simon Hadfield (38) who were to provide the fireworks at the front (pic 2). Pic 1 is of the field forming up behind the pace car; pic 3 is of the field gathering itself for the rolling start; pic 4 is of the MGB (74) of Nick Smith/Tom Field/Tommy Field emerging from the pitlane having dived into the pits at the end of the formation lap (anyone know why?) and Pic 6 of the Suzanne Sears/James Paterson/Mike Bell MGB (95) completing their first flying lap:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5207wb.jpg   IMG_5214wb.jpg   IMG_5224wb.jpg  

IMG_5239wb.jpg   IMG_5244wb.jpg   IMG_5261wb.jpg  

Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2898177)   #71
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
We did try to keep everyone happy Simon,even slowed to 20mph along Bentley in an attempt to 'bunch em up'.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2898178)   #72
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame about that Colin, I wondered what happened when I saw you parked up on warm up lap.

With regards to the first race, is it just me or whenever we have a problem with oil on the track it seems to involve an Imp? Actually I may have to re-think that last comment because Liza did the same at Silverstone in her Anglia.

OK so, is it just me or whenever we have a problem with oil on the track it seems to involve an Imp or Anglia?

My second race was marginally better than the first, it's amazing what a leveller heavy rain is. I had a good dice with Louis in his Mustang for 2 or 3 laps (you don't hear that very often coming from an App K Alfa) but then he seemed to disapper. Managed to do the slowest over take in history when I went up the inside of Jim Clark at Oggies, he was doing about 10mph I was doing about 11mph both of us trying to find some grip.

Richard Dutton tried a very brave overtake on me by out-braking me on the turn into Brundle, he spun in the middle of the left-right leaving me to launch my self over the raised concrete on the inside of the right hander. Something on the front hit that concrete very hard, I was just glad it wasn't the sump, very vulnerable & very expensive on an Alfa.

Should have had second in class but Richard Dutton caught me up again & pipped me to the post.

Anyway beat Jim Clark in his Lotus Cortina for the 3rd time & there's not many people who can say that .
Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2898181)   #73
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot to say, does anyone have any photos of the 2nd Touring Cars race in the rain, plenty of action mostly sideways?!!!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2898203)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
pic 4 is of the MGB (74) of Nick Smith/Tom Field/Tommy Field emerging from the pitlane having dived into the pits at the end of the formation lap (anyone know why?)
John, that is the car that had engine change after practice, so maybe something to do with that. We did joke at time about it requiring head pulling down, tappets reset plus new oil & filter after first 30 minutes.......
Old 13 Jun 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2898284)   #75
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 105 Mad View Post
With regards to the first race, is it just me or whenever we have a problem with oil on the track it seems to involve an Imp? Actually I may have to re-think that last comment because Liza did the same at Silverstone in her Anglia.

OK so, is it just me or whenever we have a problem with oil on the track it seems to involve an Imp or Anglia?

Just to set the record straight,you were right with the first sentence.

But, Liza actually dropped neat glycol?? form her anglia at silverstone when a core plug popped.