Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 4 Apr 2000, 10:10 (Ref:14393)   #1
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I'm in the process of making a few notes which will form the basis of a brief circuit guide for Le Mans.

There are a few gaps in my own experience of the great race, which I hope some of you guys might be able to help out with...

If anyone has first hand experience of any of the following I'd be grateful if you dropped me a line:

Campsites: Blue, Tertre Rouge and Expo.
The spectator area at the Mulsanne Corner.
The restaurants on the Mulsanne.

Any other Le Mans annecdotes or recomendations are also welcome.

All assistance will be acknowledged in the final document...
Old 6 Apr 2000, 14:46 (Ref:14394)   #2
PT
Rookie

PT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've had surprisingly few replies, considering the interest that's been shown in the thread called Le Mans 2000, so I'll give you my three ha'pence, for what it's worth.

I can't speak for the campsites, I'm afraid, but spectator areas at Mulsanne are pretty good, although a bit of a hike from everywhere else. Two options - either in the old signalling pits on the inside after Mulsanne corner, or on the outside just before or just after. (Where a 911 finished up a couple of years ago)

The smaller one on the outside is before the corner, and affords a great view, but takes a bit of finding, since you have to make your way around the outside, through Mulsanne village, to find it. There's a much larger enclosure on the outside after the corner, which is again good, and is worth a visit before or after visiting the Arnage / Indianapolis sequence. You used to be able to walk through the woods from Indianapolis up to Mulsanne (this is going back a bit, and I think they've put a stop to all but the most adventurous walkers now, especially since Mercedes have taken to landing in that bit...)

Restaurants on the Mulsanne straight.
There are three that I know you can get to, all of which you need to check out first to make sure you can find them round the back. They aren't terribly well signposted (or at least they weren't last time I went). They're all on the outside of the track.

Number 1 is the famous Restaurant des 24 heures, which is now a Chinese. But who cares about the food? Obviously, make a reservation if you want to eat during the race, but I've eaten there during qualifying just by being there and asking for a table. I think they insist on the windows being shut these days, and I tell you, its difficult to even tell which car is which, so quickly do they go past. But a 'must do', nevertheless. I think they still have a house wine with special 24 hours labels, which is a souvenir with a difference.

Number 2 is just before the Chinese, called the Bar Hunaudieres or some such. I've only been in for a drink, and I don't know what you can see from there during track activity.

Number 3 is called the Auberge de Mulsanne or something, and is just after the second chicane, before the kink. By far the best food, but set back a bit from the road. I'm not sure if they allow you in the garden, which would provide some splendid spectating if they did.

To summarise, I'm not a fan of mixing culinary and racing activities, I'd rather hang over the fence with a Merguez in a baguette and enjoy the French cuisine before and after the race. But visiting a restaurant is the only way to get a visit to the Mulsanne straight without special passes while cars are racing, so it has to be done once. I'd recommend going up there during qualifying on Wednesday or Thursday evenings.

One final point. Never assume that things are not allowed or can't be done. It's amazing where you can get to if you actually approach the Gendarme or ticket control, show him whatever pass you've got, and ask if you can go through. With a bit of confidence and practice, many will just wave you by.
Old 7 Apr 2000, 12:43 (Ref:14395)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks 'PT' for that. (If you email me I can credit you with your real name, if you want)

I've mailed my first draft of my guide to Craig and Carrie before you'd posted but I'll add your stuff in (hopefully) before it's posted to the site (if it's posted )

[This message has been edited by Guy Humpage (edited 07 April 2000).]
Old 7 Apr 2000, 13:04 (Ref:14396)   #4
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guy and everyone else concerned:

A big thanks for the time you've put in to complete the Le Mans Circuit Guide. It really is appreciated.

Thanks
Andy H

ps. If anyone else wants to help with a circuit guide for any track please get in touch with myself or Carrie.

[This message has been edited by Andy H (edited 07 April 2000).]
Old 27 Apr 2000, 08:22 (Ref:14397)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Last call for any more contributions for the Le Mans Circuit Guide (no matter how small).

I'm off across the channel this weekend for the practice day on Sunday, I'll add any 'new for 2000' information I pick up and then the guide should be ready to go online...