Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 May 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1609509)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Could the reason for lack of spectators at tracks be F1?

Having sat here watching yet another 2 hours of utterly boring F1 racing on TV it occured to me is the demise in motorsport spectating actually due to this totally boring spectacle. Virtually no overtaking unless it is done in the pits (they tell us because of aerodynamics so take the wretched things off), always one team or other totally dominate at one period or other and despite all the tinkering with the regs it is just not delivering as a spectacle.

I have watched a few club races this past 6 or 8 months and would say virtually every one has been way more exciting so it occured to me if this is what the public are getting served up as entertainment why would they bother to go and pay to watch because they probably think they will get more of this bore.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 May 2006 at 13:18.
Old 14 May 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1609524)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
So why not turn over and watch BTCC, formula BMW, Formula Renault and the Clio cup on Motors TV. Far more entertaining and apparently Oulton has had the best gate since MSV took over.
IMO F1 is boring, I never watch it now and couldn't name half the drivers or teams.
Old 14 May 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1609543)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure whether F1 can be held responsible for the decline in spectator numbers at motor racing events in general, although I note that there are TV adverts for the British GP, which I don't believe have been needed before. However, I can imagine a scenario where a casual TV viewer stumbles across F1, is not entertained and switches over to another channel. As a result they may form the view that motor racing is boring and don't follow any branches of the sport. That said, F1 still attracts a large TV audience of dedicated fans, yet the attendence at club events doesn't reflect this. Therefore, the case can be made that a lack of marketing and information regarding club racing is probably the cause for the failure to attract this group of fans.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1609561)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its just that my son in law designate had never been to a motor race before I restarted doing it and was of the opinion it was a boring sport as seen on TV F1, now he is hooked.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1609562)   #5
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I note that there are TV adverts for the British GP, which I don't believe have been needed before.

That said, F1 still attracts a large TV audience of dedicated fans, yet the attendence at club events doesn't reflect this. Therefore, the case can be made that a lack of marketing and information regarding club racing is probably the cause for the failure to attract this group of fans.
The need for adverts I think is largely due to people being unaware that the GP is a month earlier. Whether this actually the case or not I have no idea.

I would agree with you on the lack of marketing etc. The last few British GPs have sold out, despite the cheapest ticket being just under £100 (for 3 days) and the racing being 'boring'. Before I started marshalling, I had no idea there was such a variety of club racing, so I can only assume most other people don't either (especially judging by the 'crowds').

Which is a shame, considering you can watch a good day's racing for £10. One thing I do notice is that there is very little at the circuits saying what events are forthcoming (in club racing terms), and that would support what kipper has just said.
Old 14 May 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1609575)   #6
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I think there is a point. F1 is the "way into" finding an interest in motorsport. It's got the coverage, it's got the promotion, everyone has at least heard of it. (Cue classic conversation "I'm interested in motorsport." "Oh, Formula 1?")

If F1 is having a boring phase, people are less likely to find F1 and stick with it. If people don't stick with F1, they won't know about lesser series. It never has been, and never will be, the case where as many people will go to a CTCRC event as a Grand Prix. There probably is a lack of promotion, as kidder says - but if we say a certain % of F1 fans end up "discovering" the merits of club racing, if there's less F1 fans, there's less club racing fans.
Old 14 May 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1609638)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Having sat here watching yet another 2 hours of utterly boring F1 racing on TV
Why did you watch it? All you needed to do was switch over to BBC2 & you could have watched real GP racing! (Bikes, for those who are wondering what I'm on about!)
Old 14 May 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1609715)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guilty of watching the F1 too, but I think overall people find it harder to take a whole day out to go to motorsport. There are more distractions, more other sports, more work, more pressure.

Perhaps you could say that football is responsible for people not watching motorsport or cricket too!
Old 14 May 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1609782)   #9
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If i ever watch F1 it will be when i get back from motoracing, they invented a thing called video recorders once .

Althought i will probably hear the results either at the circuit or on the radio on the way back.
Old 14 May 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1609796)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No I disagree that football or other sports are the reason, in the case of my son in law he is a dyed in the wool 'ammers fan and lives and dies for football but now I have introduced him to club racing he can't get enough of it and not just the racing he likes the people the cars the atmosphere and the whole of the scene.

I think we had all better hope the F1 gets its act back together.
Old 14 May 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1609820)   #11
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
No I disagree that football or other sports are the reason, in the case of my son in law he is a dyed in the wool 'ammers fan and lives and dies for football but now I have introduced him to club racing he can't get enough of it and not just the racing he likes the people the cars the atmosphere and the whole of the scene.

I think we had all better hope the F1 gets its act back together.
I agree with that, there is always a good atmosphere at race meetings wherever you go.
Old 14 May 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1609937)   #12
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think so. F1 is awful, yet it it's the public face of motorsport.

I tune in now and again to see if it's got better again, but it's just a couple of guys blathering on while some cars pootle round, sometimes if they stop twice they win, other times they have to stop three times to win, or perhaps break down.

As I type this I'm watching the Le Mans Endurance Series on Motors TV and am in thrall to it. There's cars I recognise racing ones I don't, lots of bona fide overtaking, the occasional spill.

Basically, it's entertaining.

The people in F1 only appear interested in entertaining themselves and their sponsors. Surely when people who are passionate about motorsports complain that F1 sucks there must be a problem, or perhaps they're to arrogant to care these days?
Old 14 May 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1609943)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And would you get a report from Le Mans on terrestrial TV even when Bentley were winning? No chance.
Old 15 May 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1610351)   #14
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a publicity* thing I think. Unless you actively look you don't know whats going on. I must admit it was pretty poor on my part that I didn't know about the WTCC at Brands this weekend, but I saw the TV advert and guess where i'm going this weekend now.

I suppose the F1 if its boring that doesn't help, but this weekend is just the one race which does have an overtaking problem. I'd take this season and the last over the previous five. All we can hope is that the 2008 regs will help.

As for getting people to circuits I don't know. Its not like you can have a circuit in a city like you can a football stadium so people are going to have to go out of their way. How many you can interest enough to do that is anyones guess.

I think what I'm bumbling my way to saying is that if we had cracking F1 on the box it would help the cause immensely, but i don't think its the be all and end all. Having the BTCC on straight after is what we need more of! It screams 'come and see this, its in your own back yard!'

*i'm not really a football fan I admit and it irks me when the football encroaches on the F1. I'd love to see the day when the roles are reversed!

Last edited by Spudgun; 15 May 2006 at 09:54. Reason: typo
Old 15 May 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1610473)   #15
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think F1 is necessarily to blame, anyone with more than a passing interest in motorsport must know that there is more to the sport than just F1.

I think we've had this discussion before, and I think it basically comes down to the fact that there is so much else to do at weekends this days, that watching a few guys in Caterhams or Minis trundle around somewhere like Snetterton is top on a lot of people's priorities these days.
Old 15 May 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1610525)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well I would'nt particularly want to watch that either but there is some damned good stuff out there and I am afraid the publics perception as far as I have found is F1 on TV = Boring end of story, if this is the pinicle of the sport the rest must be even worse dross. Why can't they just pull those wretched aerodynamic aids off so they can overtake and get on with it, so what if they are 10 or even 20 seconds a lap slower it would be the same for all so it would make no difference.
Old 15 May 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1610649)   #17
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Transport is a problem. A previous 'postee' states that the majority of Football/Rugby Stadiums are in a large town with adequate public transport. Have you tried getting to Snetterton, Silverstone, or even Brands Hatch by public transport? One must have a car/(Motor cycle). Many people can not drive, are disabled or just foreign visitors and would love to see a British Race Meeting!! How does one get to these Circuits? So many organisations lay-on a shuttle bus from the nearest rail-head/bus station.
Old 15 May 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1610891)   #18
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Transport is a problem. A previous 'postee' states that the majority of Football/Rugby Stadiums are in a large town with adequate public transport. Have you tried getting to Snetterton, Silverstone, or even Brands Hatch by public transport? One must have a car.
Its not a requisite that you need a car to visit motor racing, for instance, I have made a number of trips to Pembrey from Cardiff, via train to Burry Port and then walking the couple of miles to the track. However, this doesn't apply to a number of other venues and perhaps having some sort of bus service (perhaps free) from a nearby station or town centre may be one way of boosting attendence. That said for such a scheme to be worthwile, sufficient attention needs to be paid to attracting potential new visitors otherwise the cost of providing the service, wouldn't be offset by gains in ticket sales.
Old 15 May 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1610896)   #19
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Although I agre, Kipper, would you walk the couple of miles if you were disabled or towing a couple of young children?? I do not know Pembrey, but certainly Brands Hatch and Silverstone have no Public Transport within two miles. Cost effective?? Like most things, you do not know until you try it, but could make a good PR exercise!!!
Old 15 May 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1610904)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I think JP is going to try to address the Snetterton problem by opening up the little local station which would be good along with all the other improvements.
Old 15 May 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1610953)   #21
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Agreed, Al! Goes with the new Complex plans