Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 25 Feb 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3803827)   #1
Pringles
Rookie

Pringles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Donnington park 2018 planning on going.

Just after any thoughts info and advice for first time attending a BTCC race.

It will be Donnington as it's the closest track to home attending both days for qualifying support races and racing on Sunday.

Planning on going to another track later in the year and possibly camping for the weekend after we have found our feet after the first visit.

Just after any general advice best places to view the action etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3803900)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
donington is a great choice because it's simultaneously massive (in terms of spectator banking), compact (in terms of distance you need to walk to get to said banking) and gives you a great view of as much of the circuit as possible whilst still enabling you to get pretty close to the cars.

anywhere along the craner curves is a great choice - there's plenty of space to settle down and get comfortable without being crowded. walking right down to the bottom will give you a better view of one of the main overtaking points whereas stopping midway downhill will let you see more of the circuit. the melbourne hairpin, if it's in use, is a good spot too.

the circuit cafe food isn't great unfortunately, the mobile units can be good but a bit patchy and expensive. i'd recommend bringing your own stash of snacks so you don't need to rely on them - m&s at the donington park services just off the m1 on the roundabout is a good tip for convenience.

other people may have different experiences though!
Old 25 Feb 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3803915)   #3
Pringles
Rookie

Pringles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
donington is a great choice because it's simultaneously massive (in terms of spectator banking), compact (in terms of distance you need to walk to get to said banking) and gives you a great view of as much of the circuit as possible whilst still enabling you to get pretty close to the cars.

anywhere along the craner curves is a great choice - there's plenty of space to settle down and get comfortable without being crowded. walking right down to the bottom will give you a better view of one of the main overtaking points whereas stopping midway downhill will let you see more of the circuit. the melbourne hairpin, if it's in use, is a good spot too.

the circuit cafe food isn't great unfortunately, the mobile units can be good but a bit patchy and expensive. i'd recommend bringing your own stash of snacks so you don't need to rely on them - m&s at the donington park services just off the m1 on the roundabout is a good tip for convenience.

other people may have different experiences though!
All good info thanks for replying. Like I said I've never been to a race before always just watched it on TV.

So any advice is always good and welcome.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3804003)   #4
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This will be the first year of the track in operation under MSV ownership too, so I suspect Donington will look even better than usual!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3804044)   #5
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSV are constructing new cafe facilities so I would expect an increase in standards. The grub at the other MSV circuits is generally decent. There will be a number of outside caterers as well.

I'm never one for parking myself at a particular location and spending the day there. I'd prefer to roam the circuit, but also enjoy the paddock as well.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3804086)   #6
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good advice in the replies so far. Donington is quite reasonable for spectating and Redgate corner right next to the paddock.

What I would add for a first time race meeting spectator is - racing circuits have limited facilities and even less cover so go prepared for a day out in the open. That's stout footwear and warm clothing, water-proofs AND sun-screen - at most times of the year anyway!

The BTCC is great because of the big crowds and everyone gets into it. Me? I watch clubbies!

Enjoy,

Scott