Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 28 Jan 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1510844)   #1
mig
Racer

England
Kent where the hops and Hondas are from
mig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
corner weight gauges

Just about to buy a new set of computer corner weight scales.Anyone had first hand experience of intercomp or longacre.Its a lot of money to spend and I want to buy the better make.Not what the company that make them recomend
Old 29 Jan 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1511153)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I went up to Autosport and looked both types of scale. I thought there was little to choose between the display modules, both looking quite rugged if a little basic. When it came to the actual scale plates, though, I much preferred the Intercomp ones. They're big slabs of billet aluminium rather than fabrications. The entry level Intercomp is also cheaper than the entry level Longacre. I bought the Intercomp. :-)
Old 29 Jan 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1511234)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a set of Intercomp Quickweigh scales from Rollcentre. They were doing good deals at Autosport, as usual..... I'd give them a call, you never know, Martin might be feeling benevolent and do you a deal!!

Darned good investement. Easy to setup and use.

You need a decent flat floor to start with though.....

Rob.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1511266)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Martin... Benevolent... now there's two words I never expected to see in the same sentence!

Seriously though, I bought mine from the Roll Centre as well (I got the Easyweigh) as they did have the best price I've seen anywhere
Old 29 Jan 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1511343)   #5
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
I bought a set of Intercomp Quickweigh scales from Rollcentre. They were doing good deals at Autosport, as usual..... I'd give them a call, you never know, Martin might be feeling benevolent and do you a deal!!

Darned good investement. Easy to setup and use.

You need a decent flat floor to start with though.....

Rob.

MY garage floor is level and flat side to side but slopes towards the door, as you might expect. From the front ot the car to the back is about 15mm different.

I can make shims to sit the scale pads on but does anyone have any easy ways of checking the 4 pads are all exactly level? I have a mate who is an architect and we did an initial survey with a theodolite and stick but I can't get him over every time I want to check!

Also any ideas about establishing measurement points for ride height. Eg. when the car is on the pads, the car will be level but the floor isn;t so the measurements from chassis to floor will all be different, won't they?
Old 29 Jan 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1511353)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALIST
I can make shims to sit the scale pads on but does anyone have any easy ways of checking the 4 pads are all exactly level? I have a mate who is an architect and we did an initial survey with a theodolite and stick but I can't get him over every time I want to check!
You can get a lazer level from Longacre for around £150... but I just popped down to my local B&Q and bought a battery powered high speed spinning lazer level for £27. You just set it up using its own spirit levels in the middle of the floor, then you can level the pads to each other just by holding a small square on each pad and shiming accordingly. You can even level each pad quite accurately by measuring the height to the lazer plane at each corner of the pad. Do be careful when you shim the pads to support them over a reasonable area though

PS, you don't need to use the tripod bit, as the level unit will just sit on the floor and give you a line three or four inches off the floor. Makes measureing the pad height very easy.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1511354)   #7
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of going to the expense of a set up floor it is easier to have 4 adjustable platforms made which fit your scale pads. Get the scale holders fabricated from steel angle and add three adjustable feet. use a spirit level to ensure each is flat and then run a flat bar from pad to pad and again check with the spirit level. To check the level of your garage floor buy two metre rules, tape a length of 8mm clear plastic pipe to one rule and ensure you have enough pipe to run the distance you wish to check, tape the other end to the second metre rule. Pour water containing a food dye into the plastic pipe, and place one ruler at one end of the garage and the other at a second position.Get the wife/girlfriend to hold one ruler vertical, you hold the other one vertical, water will form a level, read off the difference between the two rulers. Cheap as chips!
Old 29 Jan 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1511360)   #8
REALIST
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
You can get a lazer level from Longacre for around £150... but I just popped down to my local B&Q and bought a battery powered high speed spinning lazer level for £27. You just set it up using its own spirit levels in the middle of the floor, then you can level the pads to each other just by holding a small square on each pad and shiming accordingly. You can even level each pad quite accurately by measuring the height to the lazer plane at each corner of the pad. Do be careful when you shim the pads to support them over a reasonable area though

PS, you don't need to use the tripod bit, as the level unit will just sit on the floor and give you a line three or four inches off the floor. Makes measureing the pad height very easy.

Excellent! That sounds just what I need. Thanks a lot.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1511361)   #9
REALIST
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Pomfret
Instead of going to the expense of a set up floor it is easier to have 4 adjustable platforms made which fit your scale pads. Get the scale holders fabricated from steel angle and add three adjustable feet. use a spirit level to ensure each is flat and then run a flat bar from pad to pad and again check with the spirit level. To check the level of your garage floor buy two metre rules, tape a length of 8mm clear plastic pipe to one rule and ensure you have enough pipe to run the distance you wish to check, tape the other end to the second metre rule. Pour water containing a food dye into the plastic pipe, and place one ruler at one end of the garage and the other at a second position.Get the wife/girlfriend to hold one ruler vertical, you hold the other one vertical, water will form a level, read off the difference between the two rulers. Cheap as chips!

That's an idea too!! cheers!