Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Oct 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4130003)   #1451
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Peter, also a trip to the loo for my wife walking past in the background: laugh:

Noticed that! But are smoking regulations still being flaunted in bars and restaurants. Usually the main culprits were the Guardia Civil and Policia Locale when I was living there.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 11:32 (Ref:4130013)   #1452
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Noticed that! But are smoking regulations still being flaunted in bars and restaurants. Usually the main culprits were the Guardia Civil and Policia Locale when I was living there.
We see them flouted quite a bit but not in restaurants, however this particular bar is open to the elements at both ends and if the management tried to stop the band having their "splif" they would probably stop playing.
The cops do still (just turn up to have a look) get their free drinks and go away: laugh:
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Oct 2022, 11:52 (Ref:4130014)   #1453
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Peter, also a trip to the loo for my wife walking past in the background: laugh:

Yes, I thought that it was Sue but too polite to mention it.
Old 12 Oct 2022, 11:53 (Ref:4130015)   #1454
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Not sure if I have posted this in here before although I posted in a decade ago at tenths.... it isnt specifically about a Transit V6 race car transporter but one does get involved. Anyway an amusing story on this link.
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126383

Happy days.

Thanks for that link, E.B - hadn't seen that before and some good tales....
Old 12 Oct 2022, 15:56 (Ref:4130040)   #1455
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Yes, I thought that it was Sue but too polite to mention it.
Never had her hair cut for over 55 years, but I trim it for her sometimes. I often wonder what those 15/16-year-old schoolboys used to think about her when she worked at the school back when this picture was taken
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sue 40.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	76334

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 12 Oct 2022 at 16:05.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Oct 2022, 05:36 (Ref:4130080)   #1456
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;4130040]I often wonder what those 15/16-year-old schoolboys used to think about her when she worked at the school back when this picture was taken Well I dont wonder what the schoolboys used to think about at that time. Why? Be cause I know!!!
Old 14 Oct 2022, 13:27 (Ref:4130274)   #1457
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C
Well I dont wonder what the schoolboys used to think about at that time. Why? Be cause I know!!!
She used to walk past the garage that I worked at back in the 60s when she was a schoolgirl going to the local grammar school the picture was actually taken when she was 40 and worked at a boy's public school.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 14 Oct 2022 at 14:18.
Old 20 Oct 2022, 14:25 (Ref:4130888)   #1458
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Tyrrell were always my favourite team, probably because of Jackie Stewart and then the P34/6.
Interesting fact - Mercedes GP still has the same company regustration number as Tyrrell following the sale to BAR, then Honda, Brawn and Merc.
As for Goodyear, i remember the factory well, and they sponsored Wolves! I was at school with a lad whose father worked on the F1 tyres (and the Goodyear Airship) in the 70s. Later i played golf several times, through a good friend, with the former head of the Goodyear F1 test division.
Oddly I was a Lotus fan (influenced by Jim Clark being the first real F1 hero I became aware of back in the mid 60s) before getting a job a Tyrrell - that in itself being a rather random event when someone in part of my pub-visiting social circle happened to mention that there was a job going.

I left shortly after the P34 launch and early testing at Silverstone and went to work for ELF in the UK. The idea was that ELF were going to run a more-or-less full race Capri (but road registered) for the newly retired JYS to do promotional in-car filming before each of the European GPs. The car would be towed around Europe using, possibly, a Range Rover and as I had worked on some ELF/Ford/JYS promotions as well as the ELF UK Launch in the UK they thought I could do the transportation job for them. That sounded good to me and would keep the connection with Tyrrell going to some extent ...

However, it all seemed to be taking a while to pindown the details so the PR guy, a really nice bloke, ex WW2 Navy, and with a load of Big Oil company PR experience, persuaded me to join in an Oil Sales role working in the West Country (where he lived and was temporarily keeping an eye on a vacant sales territory as well as doing the PR stuff). I could then begin to understand the business,or at least the Lubricants side of it - the takeover of petrol stations was all handled by a different part of the operation - and be in the right place when the plan came together.

Like John mentioned in his experiences before, the expected job did not materialise and the concept was panned. I hung around for about 18 months but became somewhat disillusioned at the way things were going.

When a mate was sent up to the midlands to become GM of a motor caravan dealership and was looking for a known quantity to work with him (from memory he was only about 22 at the time) I decided that might be a good way out of lubricant sales given it was a "small UK company being absorbed into a large French Government Company" situation.

It turned out to be sort of frying pan to fire result in the end but that's a different story.

I can't remember who I used to see during the rare trips to Goodyear at Wolverhampton. Most of the tyre stuff was handled at tracks during GPs or test days but when private testing was undertaken and tyres were required we would go to the Racing Division operation which, from memory, was somewhere near Watford/Rickmansworth. That was quite useful once when I picked up a set of "part worn" rally knobbly tyres for my Mexico. £5 a tyre, "only used for a few miles stage testing ....", I needed to fit 2 of them due to tread-free fronts when I bought the Mex, but money was short to get the others fitted and the original rears were still good. And then I changed jobs, got a company car and the Mex sat unused for 6 months before I sold it, throwing the 2 unfitted tyres into the deal as I had no other use for them.

I never really experienced the full potential of the Mexico. Dunlop SP68s on the front and Goodyear knobbly rally stage tyres on the back made for some interesting handling traits.
Old 20 Oct 2022, 14:48 (Ref:4130891)   #1459
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes Grant, being in the right place at the right time was very much part of it in the racing business but I think we all rather accepted as being 'the norm'.

It brought it home to me when an old school friend, who spent his entire working life with British Gas remarked to me one day that I always did seem to like taking things a bit risky. I bet I had more fun though!

Wonder what it is like these days? Can't imagine there is much fun around the Austrian & the Spice Boy at Red Bull!
Old 20 Oct 2022, 16:10 (Ref:4130900)   #1460
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
As a lot of my family got "interested" in motor racing because of me, my great nephew now works at Mclaren on the design side
Old 21 Oct 2022, 08:48 (Ref:4130952)   #1461
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
My Aunt worked for Prodrive. Knew some great names from the world of rallying and tin tops. Colin Mcrae and Ari Vatanen were her two favourites due to their nice personalities
Old 27 Oct 2022, 11:54 (Ref:4131628)   #1462
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Genuine ex-Jim Clark, Goodwood legal
Attached Thumbnails
lc.jpg  
Old 27 Oct 2022, 12:30 (Ref:4131630)   #1463
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow,
How much will that go for?
Old 27 Oct 2022, 12:37 (Ref:4131632)   #1464
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Wow,
How much will that go for?
Probably more than it is worth!

I think I am correct in saying it was cobbled together in the US fairly recently, not 1965 as then it would have been an 'Airflow' car.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 13:44 (Ref:4131647)   #1465
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best avoided then?
Old 27 Oct 2022, 13:51 (Ref:4131649)   #1466
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Best avoided then?
It might well be a very nice, well-built car but I suspect not genuine.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 13:52 (Ref:4131650)   #1467
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
....would make the ideal tow-car for Dr Bob's Elite though!
Old 27 Oct 2022, 13:57 (Ref:4131652)   #1468
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Probably more than it is worth!
Of course - something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 14:02 (Ref:4131655)   #1469
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Only One Ever Made: A 1965 Ford Cortina Lotus Mk 1 Estate Custom

$100,800 USD | Sold
Old 27 Oct 2022, 18:14 (Ref:4131677)   #1470
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!

Much as I love a Mk1 estate......that seems a tad expensive

Especially when I note that the article says an estimate of $35K - $50K !

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 27 Oct 2022 at 18:20.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4131742)   #1471
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the article mentions the car was fitted with Lotus Cortina suspension it looks from the front that the longer Lotus track control arms have not been fitted as it looks to me to have positive camber as opposed to the original slight negative camber.
Of course it might just be an optical illusion!
Old 28 Oct 2022, 10:07 (Ref:4131746)   #1472
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Noted that too - the RH front looks decidedly iffy.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 14:58 (Ref:4131802)   #1473
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Although the article mentions the car was fitted with Lotus Cortina suspension it looks from the front that the longer Lotus track control arms have not been fitted as it looks to me to have positive camber as opposed to the original slight negative camber.
Of course it might just be an optical illusion!
Would be about right, perhaps, if it lacked an engine when the snap was taken.

Or maybe it is set up for the drag strip?

I always thought the Cortina could look interesting with a Jenson Interceptor style rear hatch.

Better still for that sort of styling would have been the Mk4 Zephyr/Zodiac.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 15:20 (Ref:4131808)   #1474
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Would be about right, perhaps, if it lacked an engine when the snap was taken.

Or maybe it is set up for the drag strip?

I always thought the Cortina could look interesting with a Jenson Interceptor style rear hatch.

Better still for that sort of styling would have been the Mk4 Zephyr/Zodiac.
Sort of like the Renault 25? Or even a Saab, the type number of which I forgot.

In a funny sort of way I've come to quite like the Mk4 Zephyr/Zodiac - the styling at least.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 15:29 (Ref:4131811)   #1475
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do wish more companies had built/ build Scimiter GTE type cars.

The last ones I can think of are the Alfa 156 estate and the BMW Z3 Coupe. I always thought Jaguar missed a trick by not put a “Lynx Eventer” type car into production, and Porsche built similar protypes of the 928 and 944 I think but never productionised them. Shame.