Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Aug 2002, 20:08 (Ref:357155)   #1
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard any rumors of de Ferran coming back to CART w/ Pennzoil team?

Heard some grumblings about de Ferran jumping ship and coming back to CART...with Pennzoil sponsorship like he used to have. Heard anything about this?
Old 13 Aug 2002, 20:19 (Ref:357171)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard about this on another forum and find it hard to believe.

Pennzoil have confirmed their partnership with Panther Racing, who will wun Hornish and Wheldon in IRL in 2003.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 20:20 (Ref:357174)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my dreams.

Gil used to say he had nightmares about being killed on an oval track. Maybe after what he has seen this season, he's beginning to have them again.

Maybe if they can't get Jacques....
Old 13 Aug 2002, 20:25 (Ref:357182)   #4
pferrf1
Rookie

pferrf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I heard was that he was less than impressed with some kamikaze racing at the end of the Michigan IRL race. Thought too many IRLers were taking unjustifiable risks...and that all season long he has been a little less than enthusiastic about doing all ovals, especially with ****ers he can't trust making it dangerous.

Apparently too, the contract extensions announced in May with Penske was Penske exercising team options, not necessarily the drivers choosing to take them. Alsoa rumour about Penske being huge after Sam Hornish for Penske Racing.

As for Pennzoil...they and Quaker state have been acquired by Shell. Shell seems to like CART. Read the following from the Pennzoil website:

On March 25, 2002, Pennzoil-Quaker State Company and Shell Oil Company, a wholly-owned member of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group announced a definitive agreement under which Shell Oil Company will acquire Pennzoil-Quaker State Company at a price of $22.00 per share in cash. The transaction requires regulatory and shareholder approvals and is expected to close in the second half of 2002. The combination of Shell's networks and infrastructure and Pennzoil-Quaker State Company's leading motor oil brands, portfolio of car care brands and Jiffy Lube stores will position the new company as a leader in the U.S. lubricants and car care business, with the geographic scope, operational scale, breadth of products and services, and financial resources necessary to compete in a consolidating industry.

Last edited by pferrf1; 13 Aug 2002 at 20:31.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 00:11 (Ref:357356)   #5
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't it Valvoline that used to sponsor Gil in CART?
Old 14 Aug 2002, 00:18 (Ref:357362)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I doubt it to be honest, but it's good that ALOT of people are having second thoughts about the 'All-American All Oval IRL' - I guess some are deciding it's better to race in CART and do the Indy 500 as a one off.

Gee I hope some drivers come back to CART next year, 18 cars is enough for a race, but really is a bare minimum, it can't go on like that forever
Old 14 Aug 2002, 00:39 (Ref:357364)   #7
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
In my dreams.

Gil used to say he had nightmares about being killed on an oval track. Maybe after what he has seen this season, he's beginning to have them again.

Maybe if they can't get Jacques....
Well, he's living the nightmare of getting passed by Sarah Fisher. Can you believe a driver like de Ferran battling with Sarah Fisher? :confused: That's horrible!

How many seconds off the pace would she in a Champcar at Laguna Seca? 7-8? At least!
Old 14 Aug 2002, 00:41 (Ref:357366)   #8
racing_guru
Rookie

racing_guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
Wasn't it Valvoline that used to sponsor Gil in CART?
He's been sponsored by both - Pennzoil with Hall racing (his rookie season) and Vavoline with Walker racing.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 00:59 (Ref:357374)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HEY GIL! YOU JUST GOT PASSED BY A GIRL!

Hope the paycheque keeps you warm at night, you traitor.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 01:18 (Ref:357381)   #10
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Very funny Liz!!! But, let's not call him a traitor just yet...remember he was still under contract when Penske (sell-out punkass)went to the earl series. If he stays AFTER his contract is up...well then...let the traitors fly...along with any other insults we can come up with!
Old 14 Aug 2002, 03:28 (Ref:357427)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This is why I love silly season! Panther and Penske swap drivers, and Shell brings deFerran back to CART. Now this is a good one! But would Shell put all of their eggs in one basket? At any rate, it would be great to get Gil back.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 09:14 (Ref:357510)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe de Ferran will do anything at the moment to get back to CART. I'm sure both he and Helio have realised which is the better series......and it isn't the invisible one!
Old 14 Aug 2002, 10:35 (Ref:357564)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
So if Gil comes back with Shell, where would that leave Rahal/Vasser?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 10:59 (Ref:357583)   #14
Liz
Veteran

I thought he had already re-upped with the other outfit.

Maybe he'll come back to drive for Rahal. If he does.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 11:31 (Ref:357608)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We can but hope. Gil back, Helio back, JV back.... it could all happen.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 11:45 (Ref:357617)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if Gil, Helio and Penske did make a return, how well would they be recived by the fans? not very well, i would imagine.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 12:01 (Ref:357625)   #17
Ben 93 325is
Racer

I think Gil and Helio would be welcomed back just fine...still under contract when Roger left. I think Penske would NOT be welcomed very warmly!
Old 14 Aug 2002, 12:35 (Ref:357660)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I thought he had already re-upped with the other outfit.
Cap'n crunch had a team option which he exercised. (IIRC)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Aug 2002, 16:36 (Ref:357791)   #19
Liz
Veteran

I don't think Helio would be welcomed back very warmly, particularly if he kept insisting he really did win the IRL 500. Considering he has been acting as if he's the Birthday Boy over there.

And Penske would DEFINITELY not be welcomed back unless he made some really serious apologies and explained that it was Pod People over in that other league and he himself the real Penske had been held prisoner by the Taliban since they won the IRL 500 in 2001. Or something equally convincing. With evidence.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 16:51 (Ref:357800)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You're right, Liz. But sometimes I wonder if he still would have bolted if Pook was brought in earlier.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 18:30 (Ref:357837)   #21
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
I really hope Gil comes back to CART, as he is much better then most of the IRL field. The only driver anywhere near Gil is Hornish, who is also wasted in IRL.

Get them both in CART and let Helio and Penske rot in hell!

Last edited by Speedworx; 14 Aug 2002 at 18:33.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 18:56 (Ref:357850)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Ok, having Roger back would not be a plus as one would never know when he is leaving again, but Gil is another story. So if Gil comes back with Shell (to Rahal? What of Vasser then as I noted above?). Does anyone know if Vasser is confirmed with Rahal next year?

I agree that Helio should be a bit quieter about his Indy "win" but the real villain is TG. Should Helio come back who would he come back to? Could Gil possibly end up as PT's team mate with the Shell sponsorship following him there - might solve a problem for Player's long-term.

I read a different thread recently that suggested Red Bull might be coming to CART w/o Cheever, although they are looking for an American driver - Vasser and a young gun perhaps? Then Gil takes Vasser's seat at Rahal. When the music stops I hope everyone finds a chair!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 18:59 (Ref:357854)   #23
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Cheever Racing in CART would be good. As long as he gets rid of Scheckter.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 19:01 (Ref:357855)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I think the rumour has it that Gil would be flying Pennzoil colours, a subsidiary of Shell. (Jim Hall's were pretty cars). And if Red Bull comes over, I'd think that they'd be looking for a younger driver. Maybe with F1 aspirations.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 19:02 (Ref:357858)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Cheever has his own personal chef, one who knows how to prepare crow.